This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 10

Worst Alternate/Edited Horror Movie TV cuts you've ever seen?...

I felt like this would be something different and worth discussing.

I've seen a lot of TV cuts of different horror movies over the years. Some of them are specifically edited for TV with additional scenes and some of them are basically hack jobs of rearranged scenes designed to edit out deaths/nudity to make the film more TV friendly. Some occasions, this happens to be both.

With recently grabbing the Halloween Complete Collection set, I've finally gotten to watch the Halloween 2 TV Cut. I realize there are bootlegs out there that contain just the TV cut or the Theatrical cut with the TV cut scenes jammed in. But this is the first time I believe I've seen the TV Cut in its entirety without any real edits.

On a sidenote, I just kinda wish they would've added in the TV scenes for both Halloween 1/2 without edited dialogue, rather than keeping them for separate cuts. I guess they did it that way with purists in mind, or just plain laziness.

Anyway that film really got hacked up.

I'll just jump through the Halloween 2 TV Cut with positives/negatives

Positives...

- Alternate Ending, which I tend to like, even though the original ending works fine
    - More dialogue for the Hospital staff, these were scenes Rosenthal wanted to keep, but was overruled for pacing
    - More scenes with Loomis and Laurie

Negatives...

- They completely re-shot the Ben Tramer death, with terrible over acting and continuity issues
    - They hack a bunch of random scenes together prior to the security guard's death, then completely remove the death after the fact
    - The title sequence starts right away, as opposed to when after Loomis tells off the neighbor making for terrible editing
    - 3 of the hospital staff completely disappear, without a trace, editing their death's out completely, leaving the viewer wondering if they survived
    - The Marshal's death seemed to be unfinished, as it implies Myers uses the Marshal as a shield that Loomis ends up shooting with his gun, Carpenter ends up reshooting the death scene in the theatrical cut with the throat slashing
    - So in the theatrical cut, its implied that Jimmy either faints or dies in the car, but in the TV cut to go along with the alternate ending, its implied that hes just wandering around the hospital near the climax while all the action is going on, its rather unbelievable. So when the explosion finally happens, they cut to him slipping in the pool of blood of the lead nurse, its just very clumsy. Wouldn't he have gotten out of there or ran when he heard the gunshots way before he heard the explosion? Perhaps im just overthinking it.

Anyway yeah, that TV Cut is one of the worst edits I've ever seen, what are some of yours out there?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Red; 10-04-2014 at 03:58 PM.

UHM Emissary
    Long live the new flesh

Status
    Last Online
    01-19-2024

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 276
    Given: 706
    I love in Halloween 2's edit where he says "full of sugar" instead of "full of shit" and the nurse still yell "watch your language!"

* First time watch
    365 Days of Horror 2020-2021 https://boxd.it/97ywm

the sage of absurd
    BEATNGU

Status
    Last Online
    02-15-2015

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Devilish
    Add Coker on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 69
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID el_neilicus
    Not technically a horror movie, but the Snakes on a Plane TV cut has always bugged me.

"I'm tired of these monkey fightin' snakes on this monkey fightin' plane! I'm gonna kill every last one of these monkey fighters!"

~Wake up! Time to die.~

Valhalla, I am coming
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    10-22-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 2
    Hmmm, good topic. Goodfellas is a waste of time to watch on television; entire chunks of scenes are taken out because of the language. There's some "Beatles people/Elvis people" bit in Pulp Fiction that I haven't seen in years.

The absolute best edit, from De Palma's Scarface.

Fresh Zealot
    Feeling my way around

Status
    Last Online
    11-06-2014

Member #
    Threads
    Follow TheHorrorAppraisal On Twitter Add TheHorrorAppraisal on Facebook Add TheHorrorAppraisal on Google+
    Visit TheHorrorAppraisal's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    House of 1,000 Corpses was on TV recently and it was just butchered beyond belief. Sid Haig's best lines were destroyed.

Speaking of the Halloween TV Cuts... I have the original Halloween TV version that was release by Anchor Bay about a decade ago. I actually enjoyed that and was surprised that they didn't actually cut stuff out but recorded new scenes to add more time. I was thinking to myself, "Did they show him killing his naked sister? Did they show PJ Soles topless?" I liked seeing some things that added to the narrative as well. Just ordered the complete blu-ray set so it'll be neat to watch the Halloween II TV cut.

the sage of absurd
    BEATNGU

Status
    Last Online
    02-15-2015

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Devilish
    Add Coker on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID el_neilicus
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHorrorAppraisal View Post
    House of 1,000 Corpses was on TV recently and it was just butchered beyond belief. Sid Haig's best lines were destroyed.
    Wut? How? Why? They couldn't even show entire scenes that are important to the (admittedly limited) plot.

~Wake up! Time to die.~

Fresh Zealot
    Feeling my way around

Status
    Last Online
    11-06-2014

Member #
    Threads
    Follow TheHorrorAppraisal On Twitter Add TheHorrorAppraisal on Facebook Add TheHorrorAppraisal on Google+
    Visit TheHorrorAppraisal's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Coker View Post
    Wut? How? Why? They couldn't even show entire scenes that are important to the (admittedly limited) plot.
    Yea I dunno who thought it would be a good idea. All it did was make me pull out my Blu ray and watch it instead.

the sage of absurd
    BEATNGU

Status
    Last Online
    02-15-2015

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Devilish
    Add Coker on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID el_neilicus
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHorrorAppraisal View Post
    Yea I dunno who thought it would be a good idea.
    Well, that sounds like a horrible idea on their part. Did they clear it with Captain Spaulding? I bet fucking not!

~Wake up! Time to die.~

+ Reply to Thread