Last Online
    02-21-2024

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 4

Review: The Conjuring

Well it has been a while since I last went to theatres, so a friend and I decided to go check out the conjuring. As you all may know, I am about sick of all these ghost flicks, and have been craving for a good old fashion slasher flick (anticipating "All Hallow's Eve"), but yet when it comes down to HOLLYWOOD they jump on the first thing that seems to be smoking, which is a shit load of ghost stories, that are making a shit load of money, with the same stories we've seen from time, and time, and time, and time, and time, and time, and a time again. Thus we have The Conjuring.

Let me say this, yes we have seen this flick many times before: A family moves into a a ragedy ass house, that was brought at a good bargain price, and soon learns about the tragedies that took place there when they become possessed, haunted, taunted, bullied, terrorized, manipulated, raped, beaten (pick either one) by an evil diabolical malevolent presence within the house.

Now the only thing that stands out in this flick, is the acting. Yes the acting was good. You feel as if the characters have been terrorized by this demon. I really loved Vera Farmiga and Patrick Wilson in this film. They were cast perfectly for these roles. Lili Taylor is also a wonderful, having to go from sweet house wife to that place that Linda Blair went in the Exorcist....

Mentioning the Exorcist, the film seems to take from that also, in one key scene, and you will know what I am talking about when you see it. Then there are the usual cliches: Walking into open or banging doors when no one is behind them, hearing strange noises and investigating, strange activity going on with your family but you choose to ignore it because it might be some crazy "phase" they are going through, and hearing voices that don't sound familiar, yet you respond and follow. I was also hoping for that sense of dread and despair, seemed like it would come at times but was never fully executed, another thing you don't see in these types of films but yet should be the MAIN factor in a ghost or haunted house telling.

Well as you can see it's pretty much all the same, even though I am still want to see Insidious 2, in hoping that it will have something different to offer, I must say that I did jump a few times, and I like James Wans direction: The gothic lightning and creepy dolls, which I wanted to see more from.

So I know I did a lot of complaining, but the flick is worth a watch if you want to see a semi-original haunted house tale, and I did enjoy it for the most part. So a 7/10 fits this perfect.

What did you guys think of the film?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    " A little GORE never hurts anyone"

The Zombie King
    I want to go kick "The
    Man" in "The
    Nuts"

Status
    Last Online
    12-03-2017

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Devilish
    Follow jlwallen@monkeypantz.net On Twitter Add jlwallen@monkeypantz.net on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 2
    I think if Vera Farmiga and/or Lilly Taylor aren't given Oscar nods for their performances, it proves how ignorant the Oscar committee is.

I felt, as a whole, this film was fantastic. Every aspect of the film was rock solid. Was it perfect? Did it re-invent the genre? No. But it was one of the most well crafted entries into the possession genre I've ever seen. The acting, the writing, the directing, the score...everything blends together to make for a creepfest delight.

jack wallen, jr <--- lover of entropy

Writer of the I Zombie series, the Screampark series, the Fringe Killer series, and upcoming The Book of Jacob Series. Check me out at Get Jack'd, my Amazon Author Page, and my weekly podcast Zombie Radio

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    7 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow Macready On Twitter Add Macready on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 547
    Given: 210
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    Quote Originally Posted by jlwallen@monkeypantz.net View Post
    I think if Vera Farmiga and/or Lilly Taylor aren't given Oscar nods for their performances, it proves how ignorant the Oscar committee is.

I felt, as a whole, this film was fantastic. Every aspect of the film was rock solid. Was it perfect? Did it re-invent the genre? No. But it was one of the most well crafted entries into the possession genre I've ever seen. The acting, the writing, the directing, the score...everything blends together to make for a creepfest delight.
    I have said exactly this a few times in these forums so I will just quote you here to reiterate it. I actually saw it twice!

The tranquility of night hides many malevolent things taking place under a stunning, mysterious sky pocked with precious gems of light. -GP

Published writer in Fantastic Horror, Volumes 1,2, and 5. Currently working on my first two novels!

Call me STRT or Street
    If someone asks if you are a
    god you say YES

Status
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Follow strtfghtr On Twitter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 727
    Given: 363
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID EataFat1 Steam ID strtfghtr Wii Code something...
    Nice review Prince, haven't seen it but I intend to.

All You Need is Blood - The Official UHM Horror Podcast

https://soundcloud.com/allyouneedisblood

Rotting Zealot
    Wear the grudge like a crown
    of negativity, calculate what
    we will or will not tolerate,
    desperate to control all and
    everything, unable to forgive

Status
    Last Online
    12-08-2019

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 67
    So, my wife hates horror movies and for every one I make her sit through I have to throw twice as many comedies/dramas or movies she wants to watch to keep things on an even keel. She had a very sheltered upbringing, so I've taken it upon myself to go through a catalog of what I consider essential viewing to get her up to speed.

This is one of my favorite horror movies, especially of this particular genre, when I hear people accuse it of being a copy or clone of other movies I have to groan a little bit. In my opinion, the horror genre is almost by definition very formulaic. You've got slashers, supernatural, creature flicks, each genre having its own usual "hooks". Doesn't stop them from being great movies that we know and love. A movie doesn't have to break new ground to be worthwhile, it simply has to entertain. Not to say that I don't respect someone that goes against the grain, that can be very rewarding too.

That said, this was the movie that finally changed my wife's opinion on watching horror. She said she liked it after it finished but several days later she admitted she really liked the movie and said "I get it now." She's still not a big fan of gratuitous gore and torture but we are making progress

Last edited by tacticalbacon; 07-27-2013 at 09:31 AM.

UHM's Arrogant Metal Head
    If anything is possible, is it
    possible for something to be
    impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Add DMHead777 on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 570
    Given: 1,294
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag DMHead777 PSN ID dmhead777 Steam ID whittem0re
    Agreed

It wasn't the absolute best ghost/possession movie I have ever seen, but it's easily in the top 10 for me. 7/10 for me here as well

Hello?
    hi guys

Status
    Last Online
    04-22-2016

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Doh
    Add Get Some on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 5
    thought it was intense at points and had great atmosphere 7.5/10

RIP JJ

Horror Character Draft Winners
    1-IKickAssFortheLord
    2-2011 Darkgod

Non Horror Character Draft Winners
    1-Shreds of Flesh
    2-2011 Woodenheart

TV Character Draft Winners
    1-Mudvayne_Eternal

My little DVD collection- http://getsome.dvdaf.com/owned

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    08-02-2021

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 29
    While I do not know how I would evaluate it with a numerical grade I thought this was pretty unique and rare. The type of a quality horror film we only get once every 2 years or so. IMO it's arguable The Conjuring could be stamped as James Wan's best achievement to date.

Rotting Zealot
    Go quickly, travel safely, my
    young friend, to the land of
    ghosts.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Happy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 228
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag amniac
    It might have been good had they left the Warrens out of it because those people are a joke. Just like all paranormal investigators... I hate it when they show up in a haunted house movie, they totally ruin it.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

HellBound Saint/Damnation Ready
    My "Give a Fuck" is
    Still Broken,but my "Go
    Fuck Yourself" is Fully
    Functional!

Status
    Last Online
    07-02-2020

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Follow hacknslash On Twitter Add hacknslash on Google+
    Visit hacknslash's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 161
    Given: 303
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID hacknslashbmf
    Quote Originally Posted by little ghost View Post
    While I do not know how I would evaluate it with a numerical grade I thought this was pretty unique and rare. The type of a quality horror film we only get once every 2 years or so. IMO it's arguable The Conjuring could be stamped as James Wan's best achievement to date.

To me the Conjuring is a Good one watcher an thats it. With more viewings the slower this film gets and just doesn't hold my interest. To me Wan's best movie is a toss up between Death Sentence( sweet tale of revenge ) and Dead Silence ( Beware the Stare yo!) Those flicks get better with each viewing.

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    08-02-2021

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 29
    Did you notice at the end of Dead Silence he turns into a human dolphin and swims underneath the burning mansion without surfacing for a good few minutes? I thought with editing they would of obviously caught that. In my opinion it was a fun film overall.

I was adamant the studios would have followed up with an easy cash grab:
    Dead Silence II

+ Reply to Thread