Status
    Last Online
    12-03-2018

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 27
    I really wish the Dee Barnes incident would have been in it.

Mac mentioned the opening scene with Easy E running on roof tops... who knows if this happened or not. Im willing to bet he ran from the police quite a few times but who knows if that was simply a passed down story or not.
    The rest of it is actually very accurate from almost every account. VladTV is running some interviews right now with 2Pacs brother, Yella, Bone, Michel'le, etc. and they all basically confirm most everything in the movie.
    And of course there are other documentaries and interviews we can find on the subject and the movie seems pretty spot on. If anything it was a bit toned down, especially when it came to the women.

That being said i watched an interview with Bone where they put this idea out that Easy E didnt die of Aids. Which.... i dunno. Seems to hold a bit of merit, or at least some questions.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow FrighT MasteR On Twitter Add FrighT MasteR on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 879
    Given: 134
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID frightie Steam ID frightie
    Coming from an unbiased perspective this is a GREAT biopic; probably one of the best ones I've seen in recent years.

Kept me interested from the beginning and never got boring. The performances were good and so was the writing. The filmmakers made you really care for these people, especially by the end. Most of the actors were pretty spot on with the people they were playing, especially that guy that played Pac, who looked and spoke just like him, was crazy

Anyway, definitely a high 7/10. Would've given it an 8 had it not felt so rushed in the last 30.

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    2 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow Macready On Twitter Add Macready on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 547
    Given: 210
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    Quote Originally Posted by FrighT MasteR View Post
    Coming from an unbiased perspective this is a GREAT biopic; probably one of the best ones I've seen in recent years.

Kept me interested from the beginning and never got boring. The performances were good and so was the writing. The filmmakers made you really care for these people, especially by the end. Most of the actors were pretty spot on with the people they were playing, especially that guy that played Pac, who looked and spoke just like him, was crazy

Anyway, definitely a high 7/10. Would've given it an 8 had it not felt so rushed in the last 30.
    I believe outside of La Bamba it is the best biopic. Also your thoughts on the last 30 minutes I believe comes directly from the middle being to cramped and bogged down.

The tranquility of night hides many malevolent things taking place under a stunning, mysterious sky pocked with precious gems of light. -GP

Published writer in Fantastic Horror, Volumes 1,2, and 5. Currently working on my first two novels!

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    12-03-2018

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Macready View Post
    I believe outside of La Bamba it is the best biopic. Also your thoughts on the last 30 minutes I believe comes directly from the middle being to cramped and bogged down.

From what i heard... i think on VladTV, they cut 25 or 30 minutes from the movie. Had to, a 3 hour movie in theaters is risky shit.
    With a good movie you wont notice the nearly 2 1/2 hours that goes by... 3, even with a good movie, you notice. Odd how that works.

That being said, this was focused on NWA, not Death Row. And by the time Eazy died most everyone split. Dre put out Aftermath and was silent for five years. Snoop was at No Limit. Ren was working with the DOC. Yella was always just background noise. And of course they mentioned Cube moving on to things like.. Friday. When the NWA/Death Row family came to an end, it did so rather quickly.

Last edited by El Ahrairah; 08-29-2015 at 11:42 AM.

Child of the Grave
    The Duke of NY...A#1

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 310
    Given: 94
    Quote Originally Posted by Macready View Post
    Straight Outta Lo-Cash...sorry wrong movie.

With a raging 103 fever accompanying a no nonsense sinus infection nothing was keeping me from going to this screening for the press. I noticed reviews starting to trickle in last week but I ignored them and did not read one word, this was a movie I wanted my focus to be on 100% with nothing to sway how I felt. NWA was such a huge part of me growing up and moving from grade school into high school a movie dedicated to show a side of them we have only just assumed and read about demanded my full attention. Many parts (and firsts) of my life happened with this music in the background...thus my review of Straight Outta Compton...

The movie starts out a bit questionable for me as we are witnessing Eazy-E getting caught up in a full on SWAT raid on a place he is selling drugs. A chase ensues in which Eazy ends up running across and jumping from rooftop to rooftop to get away. It's a great action piece filmed wonderfully but I thought we were getting an NWA biopic? Now I don't doubt something of this nature may have taken place but if I did not know I was watching a movie about NWA this would have fit right in with as an action scene from a Fast and Furious flick. It is that ridiculous.

After this the movie settles down quickly and becomes more of what I was expecting, which makes the opening stand out of place much more. I then found myself in that comfort zone I was hoping for as I watched the introduction of each group member unfold and essentially form what we know them as NWA.

This is where nostalgia began to take over and I found myself flashing back to points back in the day where all of this was so prevalent. The film mainly focuses on Eazy, Cube, and Dre...Ren and Yella at times feel as though they are just along for the ride as we are in the audience. Granted they are not the prominent members of the group but the movie makes them feel tacked on not only for the film but the group as well.

The movie absolutely shines during the concert scenes but even more so in the studio recording sessions when they are all hanging out and truly having a good time. The chemistry shown here is one of a family and it amplifies some of the anger in their lyrics much more. Back when I was a young delinquent listening to their music it came off as just a ploy to be over the top as a shtick, this shows it truly is not the case. These are the best parts of the movie by far and when this portion comes to an end the movie suffers from some major pacing issues.

Before I touch upon the pacing, I have to say although Giamatti is outstanding he is written in as the token "white devil" although he does nothing drastically intentional to do the group harm. He is more of a slinky weasel taking advantage of the group here and there for his own benefit. It is a role we have seen countless times before but this is where that opening comes in to play again. It makes me wonder how much of his character is true to the part or made up for the Hollywood of it all. The thing here though is he is an integral part of NWA and not just a quick action sequence so there is more at stake.

The pacing issues start when it starts paying homage or nodding towards everything NWA created. All their separate career paths, record labels, copy cats, groups they influenced, talent they found becomes extremely drawn out and kind of unnecessary. This is where the movie actually feels the two and a half hours run time it actually is...and then some. There is no doubt this movie could have been at least a half hour shorter in length.

As a trip down memory lane the movie is brilliant. If you grew up with NWA and listened to their music religiously like I did, I'm talking smile from ear to ear goosebumps on your arms brilliant. At the same time if you are a movie buff (like most of us here are) you can't help but feel a little disappointed at times. But when then you have NWA on screen, in concert...music blasting in stadium thumping, state of the art theater sound system you don't care for a few minutes. You will find yourself nodding to the beats and mouthing the lyrics just like you always have. Not saying I did that though. OK, fuck yeah I did that!

The ending credits are special and tie up this homage perfectly. I have to say homage instead of biopic because I feel the movie took way to many liberties. Nothing wrong with that but it is not what I was expecting. But yeah, outside of a shameless Beats by Dre plug during the ending credits they are special.

Biased score 9/10
    Realistic score for this as a movie 7/10. The middle portion really drags it down...it's simply to long for no good reason.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Excellent review....agree completely.

Got everything I wanted from this one.... a look at who they were just before fame....some insight into their glory days and how things unfolded after they became famous. Performances were great and the movie is well directed...left me wanting more.

Last edited by koolmike; 09-09-2015 at 06:41 PM.
    "Wake up sucker, we're thieves and we're bad guys. That's exactly what we are."

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    12-03-2018

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by koolmike View Post
    .left me wanting more.
    Dont worry, due to its success im sure we will see a string of hip-hop docudrama's coming out fairly soon.

Run DMC could get one, Beastie Boys, Bone, Wu Tang, etc. You gotta have that dead member to really drive the movie home.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12