Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 29

Manhunter (1986)

Manhunter (1986)

imdb.com rating: 7.2/10

my personal rating: 8/10

I just watched Manhunter for the first time this past week. I thought it was actually better than Red Dragon. I had the feeling when Red Dragon first came out it tried too hard to copy The Silence of the Lambs feel, and sure enough I was right. In Manhunter Hannibal Lecter is held in a white box-cell in white clothes. In contrast in The Silence of The Lambs/Red Dragon Lecter is held in a dungeon cell so it is a differen look.

I thought Manhunter had the creepier victim scenes and more suspense. For me Will Graham and Francis Dollarhyde were more interesting characters in Manhunter. I never got a dark, creepy, or disturbing vibe from Red Dragon's Dollarhyde either. I believe technically Red Dragon is a good movie in its own right, it did have its moments including the capture of Lecter which I have always wanted to see. But I also feel it falls a bit short to the original. I also liked the ending better in the older version. Mann embraces the psychological and emotional sphere much better than Ratner ever could, who was in over his head IMO.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Child of the Grave
    The Duke of NY...A#1

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 310
    Given: 94
    Better film in every way from casting/writing/directing/ to editing and performance.

"Wake up sucker, we're thieves and we're bad guys. That's exactly what we are."

Zombiefied Zealot
    The Ancient One

Status
    Last Online
    11-18-2023

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 286
    Given: 328
    Its been ages since I read Red Dragon, but I do recall I had issues with this film because I believe it strayed from the book.......not quite sure I'd have to reread the novel.....Thomas Harris is one of my favorite authors who had given me two great novels one being the suspense thriller Black Sunday the other of course was Red Dragon and with that our introduction to Hannibal Lecter. A lot of time has passed and I enjoy both films based on the novel equally

Like, so many people out there were trying to track this down. And it just...got delivered on a tweet. What the hell.

"The individual's rights will be protected only so long as they don't conflict with the state."

“Watch your thoughts, they become words;
    watch your words, they become actions;
    watch your actions, they become habits;
    watch your habits, they become character;
    watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”

+ Reply to Thread