Lurking
    Follow Macready On Twitter Add Macready on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 547
    Given: 210
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang

Crimson Peak

While Guillermo Del Toro has dozens of projects in various states of development, it should still be taken with a grain of sand that he has committed to directing a project. Del Toro has become known for dropping in and out of projects at various stages. But, this news does seem much more concrete than in prior announcements since it takes into account a timeline for other movies he is working on.

Del Toro will direct CRIMSON PEAK, a haunted house film in the vein of THE HAUNTING and THE INNOCENTS, according to Deadline. In fact, this is an old project he was working on from a long time ago. According to Del Toro, “It was the first one I wrote after PAN'S LABYRINTH, and I sold it to Donna Langley at Universal ,” he said. “She loved it, I was going to direct it, and then HELLBOY II happened, and then I was off to New Zealand for THE HOBBIT. Donna suggested I move aside and produce it. It went out to directors, but I didn’t quite like anyone for it. Finally I went through the experience of PACIFIC RIM with Warner Bros and Legendary, and it was the best experience I have ever had making a a movie, period. I had a really good working relationship with Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni, and they asked what I wanted to do next. I sent them AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS, I sent them THE COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO, another project I’ve tried to do for 20 years. I also sent CRIMSON PEAK, but didn’t expect a reaction because it’s not a typical Legendary movie. Much to my surprise, Thomas Tull called 9:30 at night on the day I sent it and said, ‘I don’t know how it ends, but I am on page 45 and I love it.’ Next day, Jon Jashni called and said we think it’s the best project for us, just the right size.”

Legendary, who is producing the film now that Universal is no longer involved, is also where Del Toro created PACIFIC RIM which is poised to be a huge success from the early viral videos and artwork. Production is set to start in 2014 for CRIMSON PEAK which will allow Del Toro time to do the press for PACIFIC RIM and direct the pilot for THE STRAIN series at FX.

But what is CRIMSON PEAK? Del Toro says it is “a very set-oriented, classical but at the same time modern take on the ghost story. It will allow me to play with the conventions of the genre I know and love, and at the same time subvert the old rules.” He goes on to cite movies like THE EXORCIST, THE SHINING, and THE OMEN. He is going for a big budget horror film, which is something we don't generally see these days. But, if PACIFIC RIM opens huge, Del Toro will have a blank check to make whatever he wants.

What do you think? Does CRIMSON PEAK pique your interest?

Long way off but if Del Toro is involved and sticks with his vision mentioned here I am quite excited!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The tranquility of night hides many malevolent things taking place under a stunning, mysterious sky pocked with precious gems of light. -GP

Published writer in Fantastic Horror, Volumes 1,2, and 5. Currently working on my first two novels!

UHM Emissary
    “I'm afraid I can't
    explain myself, sir. Because I
    am not myself, you see?”

Status
    Last Online
    10-25-2022

Member #
    Threads
    Add WickedNik on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 117
    Given: 5
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID wickednik
    Anything he directs I will watch. I'm excited, hopefully this happens.

Rotting Zealot
    Wear the grudge like a crown
    of negativity, calculate what
    we will or will not tolerate,
    desperate to control all and
    everything, unable to forgive

Status
    Last Online
    12-08-2019

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 67
    was so disappointed when At The Mountains of Madness fell through I agree though, love all of his work

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    12 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    It seems that one of Guillermo del Toro's projects are moving along quite smoothly.

We keep getting more and more from Del Toro's haunted house flick, CRIMSON PEAK. All we currently know is that, as I said it has to do with a haunted house, and that Emma Stone and Charlie Hunnam are starring. It was also mentioned earlier on that this film would be more of a throwback to older school horror.

The director provided a little more insight into it:

It’s the turn of the century. So it’s at the turn of the century and half of the movie takes place in America, and the other half takes place in a crumbling mansion in Cumbria. And basically it’s a ghost story and gothic romance, trying to subvert the rules of the usual gothic romance…the first half is a love story, then that love story turns darker. And it’s at the same time a ghost story. I’m working at this moment with Lucinda Clarkson who is a really great playwright from the UK. She has the proper degree of perversity and intelligence to turn it into something interesting to watch.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/guil...om-pacific-rim

The tranquility of night hides many malevolent things taking place under a stunning, mysterious sky pocked with precious gems of light. -GP

Published writer in Fantastic Horror, Volumes 1,2, and 5. Currently working on my first two novels!

Hey Sweden!
    Drake, we are LEAVING!

Status
    Last Online
    02-06-2014

Member #
    Kansas City, Missouri and Shanghai, China
    Threads
    Add lostforever on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0
    I'm interested. I really can't wait for Pacific Rim though, but I'm always up for a good haunted house film.

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    12 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    It's going to be a Guillermo Del Toro-centric couple of weeks with PACIFIC RIM coming out soon. There was news yesterday that HELLBOY 3 might happen but what about his next actual project, the haunted house film CRIMSON PEAK? Not much else has been revealed about it since Emma Stone dropped out of the film at the beginning of last month.

STYD talked to the director about CRIMSON PEAK recently and pretty much everything Del Toro had to say about the upcoming film was music to my ears. He says that CRIMSON PEAK will be very different from his previous English language films:

CRIMSON PEAK is a much, much, much smaller movie, completely character-driven. It's an adult movie, an R-rated movie, pretty adult. Shockingly different from anything I've done in the English language. Normally, when I go to do a movie in America for the spectacle and younger audience, for Blade or whatever. This movie's tone is scary and it's the first time I get to do a movie more akin to what I do in the Spanish movies. The thing I do in those movies is re-contextualization, take a movie and then move it into a completely different place. Like a Gothic and then move it into the Spanish Civil War [THE DEVIL'S BACKBONE]. This is a Gothic romance, haunted house, in the north of England.
    Del Toro goes on to to talk about the tone for his new film and how it'll have a bit of kink in it.

(CRIMSON PEAK) Has moments that are very visceral, physical violence. You're in this sort of sedate romance and then there is this brutal moment where you're like, "Whoa!" And it has a lot of kinky moments. The only kinky moment I've ever shot is the leg f*ck in THE DEVIL'S BACKBONE. [laughs] This has a little more kinkiness than that.
    Has Guillermo Del Toro been reading Fifty Shades of Grey? Is Benedict Cumberbatch going to be spanking Mia Wasikowska throughout CRIMSON PEAK? Del Toro also mentions that they started looking for the house that CRIMSON PEAK will be set in a couple of months ago (obviously an important part of a haunted house movie) and it's looking fantastic:

The house is looking great. We started scouting two months ago and are deep into the design and it looks fabulous. Obviously, I'm going to buy a lot of the props [laughs].
    CRIMSON PEAK certainly sounds like it'll be different from Guillermo Del Toro's other English language films but it is his Spanish and smaller films that originally drew me (and I'm sure countless other fans) to the director in the first place. So while it would be awesome if he did get to do AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS I'm just as excited for CRIMSON PEAK as I would be for that movie.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/guil...olent-andkinky

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow FrighT MasteR On Twitter Add FrighT MasteR on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 879
    Given: 134
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID frightie Steam ID frightie

Not too sure about all the CG, but looks alright otherwise, so far

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    08-31-2015

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    I wasn't too wowed by this, but I'm passing judgement yet simply due to the fact that it's del Toro. Even if it's not great, I do expect a level of entertainment, the man has always delivered something.

UHM Emissary
    “I'm afraid I can't
    explain myself, sir. Because I
    am not myself, you see?”

Status
    Last Online
    10-25-2022

Member #
    Threads
    Add WickedNik on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 117
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID wickednik
    Well, I wasn't too impressed with the trailer. A lot of CGI, but all the actors are decent and I like the time period and still Del Toro directing, so I still have some hope.

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    12 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    Too much CGI yes but the house isn't. The house is the true star of this film and it looks beautiful. Credit should be given to the actual set pieces here because they are stunning, and that is just from the trailer.

With that said we don't see a movie for set pieces and I'm not blown away by this trailer. But it is Del Toro so I reserve final judgment.

Resident Omega
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 278
    Given: 107
    I'll definitely see this.

Psycho Killer
    Lurking in the Dark

Status
    Last Online
    3 Days Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow Toby On Twitter Add Toby on Facebook
    Visit Toby's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 458
    I don't care for CG monsters that much, but this trailer does look beautiful even if the CG looks like it'll be a bit over-used, del Toro has yet to make an unwatchably terrible film, which is not to say the man won't make anything that's at least good for something, he's not a hack or a sell-out (even though he co-wrote and produce that AWFUL "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark" movie but he didn't direct it so it doesn't count)...

I'll still see it.

"It's a Freak Show! A Freak Show! See the strange and bizarre! Step right up, we'd love to see you! We think YOU can be the STAR! Hahahaha! Oooh! Hahahahaha! Ooohh! Hahahaha!"-Umlaut (CarnEvil)
    GORY PUMPKIN WEBSITE

"Ignorance must die if creation is to survive.."-Dillon Mason (Hacksaw: Documentary of a Psycho Killer)

Rotting Zealot
    blowin' heads up

Status
    Last Online
    08-30-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 134
    Given: 433
    The one definitely CG ghost, coming up out of the floor, was only a problem because of its over-animation. Lack of restraint is a problem with a lot of animators out there. They were obviously going for some kind of post-Grudge creepy spider movement but if you animate a fairly realistic human figure beyond the intuitive limits of human movement, in terms of start-stop, enertia, range of motion, etc., it's easier to ring false than "cool" or the wrong kind of creepy.

I had to snicker at his "greatest" achievement title. Nothing in here makes it look like half the film that Pan's Labyrinth is, perhaps the one film of his where the stylization doesn't ever feel like it dips into camp. For me, he's like a more talented Tim Burton with similar problems. Form over substance is the biggest, with camp (both intentional and unintentional) being second. I've got my doubts here. His films have become more and more synthetic looking in recent years and that's got nothing to do with CG but everything to do with his over-lit, "this is all on a soundstage" look and feel. Everything feels artificial in his films anymore. Like really expensive looking cosplay.

edit: watched the trailer again and it's totally obvious in several places it's not a real house or a real location. Also, 2:1 or even 4:1 contrast ratio is not sufficient. If you're going to make a movie that looks like TV make it Hannibal and not the BBC.

-1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by BurnetRhoades; 02-15-2015 at 05:18 PM.

Fresh Zealot
    Did you know my favorite color
    is Blue?

Status
    Last Online
    07-22-2015

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0
    Despite the CGI looking horrible, am I the only one here who thinks this looks like The Haunting remake with Liam Neeson? Which is obviously not a good thing...

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID frightie Steam ID frightie
    Now that you mention it

Zombiefied Zealot
    The Ancient One

Status
    Last Online
    11-18-2023

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 286
    Given: 328
    This gets released on the 16th previews look pretty good to me

Like, so many people out there were trying to track this down. And it just...got delivered on a tweet. What the hell.

"The individual's rights will be protected only so long as they don't conflict with the state."

“Watch your thoughts, they become words;
    watch your words, they become actions;
    watch your actions, they become habits;
    watch your habits, they become character;
    watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    03-13-2016

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 6
    cinematography is incredible. im hoping theres substance to match style.

Zombiefied Zealot
    damn status bar...my entries
    are too long for you:dislike:

Status
    Last Online
    08-25-2022

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 303
    Given: 255
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag IrishMobsta13
    My hopes seem to be higher than most here. I will be draggin the wife to this one.

The UHM Clown

“I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.”
    ― Edgar Allan Poe

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    12 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishG3nt View Post
    My hopes seem to be higher than most here. I will be draggin the wife to this one.
    It's Del Toro...I think at the very worst this will be mediocre in my opinion.

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up