+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 81



  1. #61
    Rotting Zealot
    Go quickly, travel safely, my
    young friend, to the land of
    ghosts.
     
    CountOrlok's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Last Online

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Member #
    18128
    Location
    Tasmania
    Age
    36
    Posts
    6,409
    Threads
    85
    My Mood
    Happy
    Add CountOrlok on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 195
    Given: 230
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag amniac
    I respect your opinion (IE: going in and knowing nothing about it). Audition is one of those films that is better (IMO) if you read some background on it first, though. If you know a little bit about Japanese culture.

    Again, it's hard to give movies 10/10 because art is subjective. You can look at it a certain way and judge but then later view it from a different perspective and completely change your opinion.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  2. #62
    Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.
     
    bravenewworld1's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Last Online
    10 Minutes Ago

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Member #
    10417
    Posts
    2,899
    Threads
    67
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 250
    Given: 52
    Except audition's only real value is the quick left turn it takes with 15 minutes to go in the movie.
    If you know that turn is coming, the effects are dampened and it does not have the full impact it should. This is the reason why its not a movie you can really watch over and over, because that impact is gone after the first time. Without that impact of the movie, its really not that good. But it is a testament to Miike's directing, writing and production when he can take a... 6.5 to 7 movie and make it a 10, for the first viewing. Its style is classical and meant to mimic an era when we didnt have movie reviews or synopsis or trailers coming at us every which way. Its very influenced by the Hitchcock era of film and as a result you the viewer are reliant on the same rules.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by bravenewworld1; 10-05-2015 at 10:53 PM.

  3. #63
    Rotting Zealot
    Go quickly, travel safely, my
    young friend, to the land of
    ghosts.
     
    CountOrlok's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Last Online

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Member #
    18128
    Location
    Tasmania
    Age
    36
    Posts
    6,409
    Threads
    85
    My Mood
    Happy
    Add CountOrlok on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 195
    Given: 230
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag amniac
    I can see that, but as a western viewer, the only reason I'm seeking it out is its reputation as a horror movie. I wonder what it was like for those Japanese audiences back in the late 90s watching it for the first time. Although going by the Japanese trailer, it was certainly marketed as a horror film.

    Anyway, the only reason I bought this up is because of Takashi Miike's own words on the dvd extras of Audition.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  4. #64
    The Architect
    This user has no status.
     
    FrighT MasteR's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Last Online

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Member #
    1
    Location
    A semi-dark room
    Posts
    30,166
    Threads
    1745
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow FrighT MasteR On Twitter Add FrighT MasteR on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 545
    Given: 107
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID frightie Steam ID frightie
    I always felt Audition was a bit overrated. I saw it back in 2001 when all I knew about it was that it was supposedly a horror movie from Takashi Miike. I had to get a VHS bootleg off ebay to watch it and was disappointed to discover it was pretty much a romance. Then we get a big WTF at the end. At the time I gave it a 6/10, but now that I'm older I can appreciate it more and would probably give it a 7/10. Still, I find it rather overrated, but that's just my opinion.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  5. #65
    Child of the Grave
    The Duke of NY...A#1
     
    koolmike's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Last Online

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Member #
    16
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    21,025
    Threads
    932
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 310
    Given: 99

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Wake up sucker, we're thieves and we're bad guys. That's exactly what we are."


  6. #66
    Zombiefied Zealot
    The Ancient One
     

    Status
    Offline
    Last Online
    4 Hours Ago

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Member #
    2567
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Age
    61
    Posts
    4,358
    Threads
    11
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 192
    Given: 192
    Quote Originally Posted by bravenewworld1 View Post
    If you know that turn is coming, the effects are dampened and it does not have the full impact it should. This is the reason why its not a movie you can really watch over and over, because that impact is gone after the first time.
    Actually, this little bit can be said about any movie, and not just Audition. You have people going into the theater all the time and coming out rating it a 10 for what ever reason they may have, but after awhile the more they think about the film, and the more screenings they see; they have a tendency to lower that rating. Sometimes the film is quite watchable, but eventually it becomes unwatchable to the viewer

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Like, so many people out there were trying to track this down. And it just...got delivered on a tweet. What the hell.






    “Watch your thoughts, they become words;
    watch your words, they become actions;
    watch your actions, they become habits;
    watch your habits, they become character;
    watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”

  7. #67
    UHM Emissary
    The Flicks Fix needs your
    input!
     
    Primetimeloser's Avatar
    Status
    Online
    Last Online
    1 Minute Ago

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Member #
    16319
    Location
    Maryland
    Age
    29
    Posts
    8,191
    Threads
    129
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Follow Primetimeloser On Twitter Add Primetimeloser on Facebook Add Primetimeloser on Google+
    Follow Primetimeloser on Tumblr Visit Primetimeloser's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 197
    Given: 497
    Quote Originally Posted by bravenewworld1 View Post
    Audition is only a 10 of 10 when you know nothing about the movie and then see it for the first time. You cant even read the synopsis.... cannot be aware that its anything but a romance movie.
    Agreed why I just give it a high rating and not a 10/10. All I knew going in was the synopsis and everyone saying "hold off until the last 15 minutes no matter what". I accepted it had little rewatch value upon first viewing.

    Didn't know this pick would be so hot button.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  8. #68
    The Architect
    This user has no status.
     
    FrighT MasteR's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Last Online

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Member #
    1
    Location
    A semi-dark room
    Posts
    30,166
    Threads
    1745
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow FrighT MasteR On Twitter Add FrighT MasteR on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 545
    Given: 107
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID frightie Steam ID frightie
    Quote Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
    You have people going into the theater all the time and coming out rating it a 10 for what ever reason they may have, but after awhile the more they think about the film, and the more screenings they see; they have a tendency to lower that rating.
    Agreed, this is why I usually wait a minimum of a couple days before reviewing a movie

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  9. #69
    UHM Emissary
    The Flicks Fix needs your
    input!
     
    Primetimeloser's Avatar
    Status
    Online
    Last Online
    1 Minute Ago

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Member #
    16319
    Location
    Maryland
    Age
    29
    Posts
    8,191
    Threads
    129
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Follow Primetimeloser On Twitter Add Primetimeloser on Facebook Add Primetimeloser on Google+
    Follow Primetimeloser on Tumblr Visit Primetimeloser's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 197
    Given: 497
    Quote Originally Posted by FrighT MasteR View Post
    Agreed, this is why I usually wait a minimum of a couple days before reviewing a movie
    Yup it's generally a good rule of thumb. As I pointed out the Maniac remake got 10/10 all day but no one seems to be willing to do that now.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  10. #70
    Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.
     
    bravenewworld1's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Last Online
    10 Minutes Ago

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Member #
    10417
    Posts
    2,899
    Threads
    67
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 250
    Given: 52
    Quote Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
    Actually, this little bit can be said about any movie, and not just Audition. You have people going into the theater all the time and coming out rating it a 10 for what ever reason they may have, but after awhile the more they think about the film, and the more screenings they see; they have a tendency to lower that rating. Sometimes the film is quite watchable, but eventually it becomes unwatchable to the viewer
    Thats a bit of a different story though.
    Most movies rely on quality of story telling if a twist is in it, then a twist is in it. Audition is 100% reliant on that twist, on that left turn.
    Look at the Visit. Despite it being a Shamalomalon movie and the viewer knowing exactly where its going, we can still say there a solid value in watching it. Its well paced, the characters are well written, the scene's are proper, etc. Its just that we know what the twist will be.
    Audition is solely reliant on the final fifteen minutes. The story before that fifteen minutes is nothing but a sub-par game show love story that would not hold up on its own.. its that left turn that makes the journey worth it. So as a result when you know the twist or someone has told you it gets fucked up and is not what it seems, then youre just sitting there expecting it.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  11. #71
    Zombiefied Zealot
    Preternatural of being, I am
    not me.
     
    BigFatOgre's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Last Online
    3 Days Ago

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Member #
    15071
    Location
    Lincoln, Rhode Island, United States
    Posts
    4,365
    Threads
    46
    My Mood
    Brooding
    Add BigFatOgre on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 15
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag BigFatOgre75
    Quote Originally Posted by woodenheart View Post
    I have several 10 movies. Ratings of ten is a mind set, it may not be a ten to someone else but to you the film affected you in some way or another. I won't even try and answer this.


    Okay...enter FrighT and others, to make fun of me and my love of indie/underground...
    Everything is opinion and everyone's opinion is their own. Love what you love because you love it!!!

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  12. #72
    Rotting Zealot
    Go quickly, travel safely, my
    young friend, to the land of
    ghosts.
     
    CountOrlok's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Last Online

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Member #
    18128
    Location
    Tasmania
    Age
    36
    Posts
    6,409
    Threads
    85
    My Mood
    Happy
    Add CountOrlok on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 195
    Given: 230
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag amniac
    Some people are unable to look outside of their tiny worldview..

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  13. #73
    The Architect
    This user has no status.
     
    FrighT MasteR's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Last Online

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Member #
    1
    Location
    A semi-dark room
    Posts
    30,166
    Threads
    1745
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow FrighT MasteR On Twitter Add FrighT MasteR on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 545
    Given: 107
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID frightie Steam ID frightie
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFatOgre View Post
    Everything is opinion and everyone's opinion is their own. Love what you love because you love it!!!
    Agreed, nuttin wrong with liking shitty movies if that's what you enjoy

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  14. #74
    Rotting Zealot
    Go quickly, travel safely, my
    young friend, to the land of
    ghosts.
     
    CountOrlok's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Last Online

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Member #
    18128
    Location
    Tasmania
    Age
    36
    Posts
    6,409
    Threads
    85
    My Mood
    Happy
    Add CountOrlok on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 195
    Given: 230
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag amniac
    I love a lot of 'independent' movies. If by independent, you mean not financed by the major studios. As for 'underground'.. appears to be mainly low budget/amateur stuff focusing on extreme gore, although I haven't seen too many. I don't understand why some charge for dvds and such when they could make it available online for free. Someone should create a torrent network or something.

    EDIT: I don't know if movies like Cannibal Holocaust are considered 'underground' or more mainstream (since we now have a hollywood remake ala The Green Inferno..).

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by CountOrlok; 10-07-2015 at 12:13 AM.

  15. #75
    UHM Emissary
    The Flicks Fix needs your
    input!
     
    Primetimeloser's Avatar
    Status
    Online
    Last Online
    1 Minute Ago

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Member #
    16319
    Location
    Maryland
    Age
    29
    Posts
    8,191
    Threads
    129
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Follow Primetimeloser On Twitter Add Primetimeloser on Facebook Add Primetimeloser on Google+
    Follow Primetimeloser on Tumblr Visit Primetimeloser's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 197
    Given: 497
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFatOgre View Post
    Everything is opinion and everyone's opinion is their own. Love what you love because you love it!!!
    Of course our BFO sums everything up nice and neat.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  16. #76
    HellBound Saint/Damnation Ready
    My "Give a Fuck" is
    Still Broken,but my "Go
    Fuck Yourself" is Fully
    Functional!
     
    hacknslash's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Last Online
    3 Weeks Ago

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Member #
    18842
    Location
    Hacks Haunt
    Age
    40
    Posts
    4,879
    Threads
    63
    My Mood
    Dead
    Follow hacknslash On Twitter Add hacknslash on Google+ Add hacknslash on MySpace
    Follow hacknslash on Tumblr Visit hacknslash's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 165
    Given: 313
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID hacknslashbmf
    Quote Originally Posted by FrighT MasteR View Post
    Agreed, nuttin wrong with liking shitty movies if that's what you enjoy
    I happen to love a ton of shitty movies
    Im also an 80's kid

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  17. #77
    Call me STRT or Street
    If someone asks if you are a
    god you say YES
     
    strtfghtr's Avatar
    Status
    Online
    Last Online
    1 Minute Ago

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Member #
    13259
    Location
    Bungleville, CT
    Age
    34
    Posts
    9,935
    Threads
    220
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Follow strtfghtr On Twitter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 430
    Given: 219
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID EataFat1 Steam ID strtfghtr Wii Code something...
    Quote Originally Posted by FrighT MasteR View Post
    Agreed, nuttin wrong with liking shitty movies if that's what you enjoy
    I abdolutely agree with this, I watch a ton of shitty movies and enjoy most, though I am able to separate myself from my own personal enjoyment and recognize when a movie is a piece of crap.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Fools believe bullshit without evaluation. Fools believe bullshit without reason, because they like the story or they want to fit in. Fools believe bullshit that has no scientific basis, or in some cases, directly conflicts with scientific knowledge. But foolishness can be cured. We have all been fools at one time or another, and intelligent people learn from their foolish mistakes and try not to make them again." - Dave Silverman

    All You Need is Blood - The Official UHM Horror Podcast

    https://soundcloud.com/allyouneedisblood

  18. #78
    Call me STRT or Street
    If someone asks if you are a
    god you say YES
     
    strtfghtr's Avatar
    Status
    Online
    Last Online
    1 Minute Ago

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Member #
    13259
    Location
    Bungleville, CT
    Age
    34
    Posts
    9,935
    Threads
    220
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Follow strtfghtr On Twitter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 430
    Given: 219
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID EataFat1 Steam ID strtfghtr Wii Code something...
    Quote Originally Posted by CountOrlok View Post
    I don't understand why some charge for dvds and such when they could make it available online for free. Someone should create a torrent network or something.
    I gotta be honest here Orlok, this sounds like a Poe argument. I know you aren't so dense as to not realize that it costs money (often times lots of money) to make a movie and that independent film makers often seek out financiers to back them to get their project made. These financiers are looking for their money back (and maybe a nice little profit) so for the film maker to say "nah I'm just going to give my movie away for free" isn't really going to draw in a whole lot of investors...and therefore no movie gets made because there's no money to make it.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Fools believe bullshit without evaluation. Fools believe bullshit without reason, because they like the story or they want to fit in. Fools believe bullshit that has no scientific basis, or in some cases, directly conflicts with scientific knowledge. But foolishness can be cured. We have all been fools at one time or another, and intelligent people learn from their foolish mistakes and try not to make them again." - Dave Silverman

    All You Need is Blood - The Official UHM Horror Podcast

    https://soundcloud.com/allyouneedisblood

  19. #79
    Rotting Zealot
    Go quickly, travel safely, my
    young friend, to the land of
    ghosts.
     
    CountOrlok's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Last Online

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Member #
    18128
    Location
    Tasmania
    Age
    36
    Posts
    6,409
    Threads
    85
    My Mood
    Happy
    Add CountOrlok on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 195
    Given: 230
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag amniac
    Quote Originally Posted by strtfghtr View Post
    I gotta be honest here Orlok, this sounds like a Poe argument. I know you aren't so dense as to not realize that it costs money (often times lots of money) to make a movie and that independent film makers often seek out financiers to back them to get their project made. These financiers are looking for their money back (and maybe a nice little profit) so for the film maker to say "nah I'm just going to give my movie away for free" isn't really going to draw in a whole lot of investors...and therefore no movie gets made because there's no money to make it.
    There's many ways to finance a film.. for example, kickstarter.. And as for offering the movie for free on torrents - The Tunnel did that a few years ago (as well as releasing it on dvd). But I'm talking 'underground', zero-budget movies here. Some of them charge quite a bit for the dvd.. which they have every right to, but I ain't buying..

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  20. #80
    Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.
     

    Status
    Offline
    Last Online

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Member #
    19290
    Posts
    141
    Threads
    1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 1
    The only two that come to mind right now getting as close to a 10 as possible is The Exorcist and Rosemary's Baby.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •