Status
    Last Online
    10-22-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 2
    I'm digging the new show. Pretty awesome it even got made, and now there's a national tour this year.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    12-03-2018

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 27
    Its decent. As far as modern TV goes its brilliant, but it still feels like something is missing from the old MST3k or even Rifftrax.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

UHM's Arrogant Metal Head
    If anything is possible, is it
    possible for something to be
    impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    1 Day Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Add DMHead777 on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 570
    Given: 1,294
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag DMHead777 PSN ID dmhead777 Steam ID whittem0re
    So, season 11 was a success, somehow, but season 12 is right around the corner. I received this email today:

Dear MST3K Revival League,

It's me, Joel. I know, it's been a long time since the last update – but I'm glad to tell you that there's a good reason for that. Since the beginning of this year, we've been back at work preparing for the next season of Mystery Science Theater 3000, and things are going really well.

And you know, I thought this might be a good time to finally send an update and catch up for a few minutes, because I've got some good news:
    We're going back into the studio on Monday to shoot the next season of Mystery Science Theater 3000!

And since a lot has happened this year, there are a few important updates about the new season that I want to share before that happens... so I guess we should get right to it.

New Season… New Experiment!

As you know, I never like to give away too much about the new episodes ahead of time, since I want the experience of seeing them to be a fun surprise for everyone.

So, before you ask, I'm still not going to tell you what movies Jonah and the Bots will be riffing this season… but I will tell you that this season's movies include one that I know a lot of you have asked us to riff in the past, and also one that was made in the last five years!

Now, I've got to tell you, being on Netflix – and in over 100 million homes! – has been a really good thing for MST3K. It feels good having Season 11 under our belts and received so warmly, so that's been giving us a lot of good momentum this time.

But you know, it's also been really helpful seeing so much feedback from all of you, and I think you'll be pleased to see a bunch of your suggestions manifested in this next batch of new shows. It's never a good idea to try to make a show "by committee," but I think hearing from so many of you helped us see some things about the new episodes that we might not have noticed or thought about.

I guess what I'm trying to say is… thanks for the help!

Anyway, yeah, I never want to share too much about the new episodes before you get to see them… but one of the big creative challenges that really interested me this time around was how to tweak the Forrester experiments to take advantage of Netflix's strengths, and the way people binge-view shows.

(Think about it: binge-watching the last season of Stranger Things took 540 minutes… but binge-watching the last season of Mystery Science Theater took 1,260 minutes! Especially for new or "casual" viewers, I'm worried that could be a little overwhelming, and maybe keep them from giving the show a chance.)

So, this time around, the entire "concept" of the season will be a little different, and warped in a really fun way, which I think will make the whole series of movies "hang together" as a season. I'm not going to tell you the concept yet, but...
    The next season of Mystery Science Theater 3000 will be SIX EPISODES long, and written to encourage binge viewing!

And you know, the other nice thing about this plan is that, by focusing on just six episodes this time around, we're able to get them written, shot and edited a lot faster! That hopefully also means we'll be able to show them to you a lot sooner, so that you don't have to wait as long for your next "fix" of Mystery Science Theater.

On a creative level, it’s a much more fun way to work. And I hope that shows in the new season. Truth be told, as much as I loved making 14 feature-length episodes of MST3K, it’s hard sometimes to get your arms around that much content all at once. So, this season allowed us to focus more, and have a better sense of the whole picture.

Anyway, I know a lot of you have been wondering what's happening with the new season, and I didn't want to start shooting without letting you know how things are going. You – the MST3K Revival League – are the reason we've got another season of Mystery Science Theater coming, and we're all still so grateful that you made this possible.

And, speaking of the MST3K Revival League, there's one more thing we should talk about before I get back to work.

The MST3K Revival League: Round 2!

Ever since the new episodes were released on Netflix last April, we've gotten a lot of wonderful emails telling us how excited you were to be part of getting the new season made, how much you enjoyed getting behind-the-scenes updates and special backer rewards, and asking if we would have another Kickstarter campaign to keep the MST3K Revival League alive for Season 12.

And you know, we spent a lot of time thinking about that, because the experience of making the show with (and for) all of you has been really special and wonderful – especially getting to meet so many of you on set during production and when we traveled for our three premiere screening events.

So, while we didn't think it would be right to do a brand new crowdfunding campaign – or to ask all of you to pay for another season, when we know it will be on Netflix – we did want to find a way to invite those of you who really enjoyed the whole Kickstarter experience to be more involved again.

That's why I'm really excited to announce that …
    Starting on June 12th, we're launching our first MST3K Revival League "Pledge Drive," where we'll be offering a bunch of neat gifts for those of you who want to get involved again, including several that backers asked us to bring back for Season 12, including chances to...

BE A PRODUCER: Get credited on the new episodes, IMDB and the poster!
    ADOPT CROW & SERVO: Own one of the robots used on screen!
    BE IN THE CREDITS: We're offering a limited number of "special thanks"!
    OWN SEASON 12: Collector's Edition Box Set and Digital Downloads!
    GET SEASON 12 GIFTS: Official Poster and Official Tote Bag

Also, later this summer, we'll be offering a few chances to own some of the official costumes, props, inventions and models featured on screen during Seasons 11 and 12. We can't do that now, because we need that stuff so we can, you know, shoot the new episodes. But once that's done, we want to find good homes for everything.

So yeah, that's the plan: we're not doing a full Kickstarter, but I felt like we could keep some of the best parts of the crowdfunding experience by doing a public television-style "pledge drive." If you want to be part of the new season, I hope you'll think about making a pledge and joining us again!
    So, what I am gathering is that they listened to a lot, and there were a lot, of the complaints about season 11. Also, they are doing only six episodes instead of the normal shitload. Which, this reminds me of season 7 (I think it was) where there were only a handful of episodes. Instead of doing a brand new campaign for this new season, they are going to just do a donation thing where you can offer to pay for cool things like a box set and other various things. I'll probably do the box set since I am in process of collecting them all and for the fact that I have faith in Joel despite me not really caring for the newest season. So, all aboard season 12 and hoping it's better than this one.

Call me STRT or Street
    If someone asks if you are a
    god you say YES

Status
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Follow strtfghtr On Twitter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 727
    Given: 363
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID EataFat1 Steam ID strtfghtr Wii Code something...
    I got this as well, I'm very excited for another season.

Quote Originally Posted by DMHead777 View Post
    ADOPT CROW & SERVO: Own one of the robots used on screen!
    Holy SHIT!!

All You Need is Blood - The Official UHM Horror Podcast

https://soundcloud.com/allyouneedisblood

impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    1 Day Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by strtfghtr View Post
    I got this as well, I'm very excited for another season.
    Yeah that's pretty badass. May have to fork over my wallet for this stuff

Call me STRT or Street
    god you say YES

Status
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

https://season12.mst3k.com/pledge

The Backer rewards are up...$8K for a Crow or Tom Servo...

impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    1 Day Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by strtfghtr View Post
    The Backer rewards are up...$8K for a Crow or Tom Servo...
    Joel has officially lost his mind. A show that was started with a budget of one of my weekly paychecks now has the puppets being sold for 500x the price of what the originals were probably built for.

I may get the blu ray box set just to keep on with the collection, but jesus christ..still 70 dollars for six fucking episodes is ludicrous. I understand the old dvd box sets being that much since they are oop, but this is a fucking ripoff if I have ever seen one.

Plus, I just seen they are giving away producer credits..when the season already wrapped lmao. Come on

...and there is $8 shipping for the digital downloads

Last edited by DMHead777; 07-12-2018 at 01:42 PM.

Call me STRT or Street
    god you say YES

Status
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Yeah I'll probably go for a blu set since it comes in a limited edition with an extra disc, but that's all

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    09-16-2021

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 124
    Trailer for the upcoming season of MST3k it's being called the gauntlet and the upcoming films have me excited! they are a real surprise

Call me STRT or Street
    god you say YES

Status
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Awesome cant wait

impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    1 Day Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

I'll give it a chance, but I'm not expecting much. If Joel sets aside his massive ego and just fixes the timing of the riffs, I'll be happy.

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    09-16-2021

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 124
    The Mac and Me episode was awesome

impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    1 Day Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Good god, this new update makes me think this new season is going to be a dumpster fire

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/3168008

What I am most worried about:

That's why, at least for Season 13, we're excited to build on some of our past experiments with remote production
    I read that the reason why Season 11 didn't work too much is because people worked remotely from one another. This worries me, especially since Covid restrictions are getting a little more laxed and more and more people are getting vaccinated. I'm not sure why they're even considering a remote environment.

It makes MST3K more sustainable and cost-effective.

Like I said in our video, if this works the way we're expecting, this might actually be the most efficient and affordable way to make new episodes – even after Season 13! For one thing, we won't need to pay for expensive studio space, high-end equipment and crews, travel and lodging for cast members who live far away, or all sorts of other costs.
    They do say that they're going back to doing things their own way. Joel says that they don't need that extra budget and will try to return with a DIY feel. I don't think by adding additional hosts and having a remote setting will be what this season needs, but I'm not an expert.

But the thing that really gives us some flexibility is that we'll have the option to include cast members, no matter where they are.
    This season will definitely not feel like the hosts are in the same movie theater.

For the first time ever, MST3K will feature more than one host!
    Fucking.why?

This season, Emily Marsh – the newest host of MST3K LIVE – will join Jonah Ray to take turns hosting new episodes.

Now, don't worry: Jonah will still be trapped on the Satellite of Love with Tom, Crow and GPC, who will still be voiced by Baron, Hampton and Rebecca.

But this time around, Kinga and Max have even bigger plans for global domination, and they involve having more than one test subject riffing movies, each from a different location.

Emily will be trapped in a new location with her own Tom, Crow and GPC, who will be voiced by their MST3K LIVE actors: Conor McGiffin, Nate Begle, and Yvonne Freese!
    I have not been to the live shows, but people say how entirely too energetic the actors are. I guess they're mostly stage performers and are way too over the top. I'm willing to give the new girl a chance, but two hosts with different bots is a recipe for disaster. Earlier on in the update Joel says that they want to have the budget feel like it's on cable access. This will not happen having so many extra characters.

If our Kickstarter reaches our next goal ($4.4M), I'll put on the old jumpsuit and host a new episode as Joel Robinson!

And then...
    If we reach our final goal ($5.5M) and can make a full season, I'll host two new episodes as Joel Robinson!
    Once again, why? So now out of 12 potential episodes we will have four with Jonah, four with Emily and now two with Joel? Plus, Joel escaped the SoL in the original series. They never once explained why the bots are back up there. They kind of just...started season 11 with no story. They chaulk it up to "it's just a show so just relax", but the story was always continuous in those early runs, no matter how silly. They still made an effort to explain what the hell they were doing. Now it's just, "here's season 11".

I was initially pretty excited about Season 11, but after watching it I was ultimately disappointed. There were random guests on like Jerry Seinfeld and Neil Patrick Harris that just seemed completely out of place. The show was just too flashy and they even added a band. The new mads were alright, but Kinga is way too energetic and comes across as a villain in a children's show. I didn't mind Patton Oswalt, but really? TV's Frank's kid? In my opinion, the riffing sucked. You can tell they weren't together when recording the lines. They went by super quick, sometimes making 2-3 jokes in a matter of seconds.

Season 12 was a huge improvement. The riffs were spaced out and I genuinely feel that Mac and Me could be held up against any older episode. It's a shame Netflix canceled it after this season because I feel like it would have just kept getting better.

Yes, Covid happened and now they have to be safe when making a show. My thoughts are..why make a show now then? Why even do this? Wait until 2022 and then launch a campaign, or just say that shooting will take place in the fall or January of 2022.

This pretty much ends my rant. I just have a nasty feeling that Joel needs a paycheck and is doing this as cheap as possible. I have talked to Joel a couple times, responding to him on FB and Reddit and he just comes across as someone who wants opinions, but always has an excuse as to why he does things a certain way.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123