So I finally got around to seeing this film, not really knowing what to expect after that two hour, bland talk-a-thon "Batman vs. Superman" in which this film is sorta like a spin-off too. It really wasn't as bad as everyone (critics) is making it out to be, but it does have it's flaws.

The story finds Amanda Waller (played wonderfully by Viola Davis) trying to form a team of villains to go up against a global threat, in questioning that there are others out there with Superman like powers that might not use them for the sake of humanity. Her motive really reminded me of that of Batman's in BVS. However she brings together a team of assassins and killers, some who are supernatural and have magical powers, to protect the world from otherworldly threats.

Now what I found most loving about the film is it's wacky, vivid charm and the way these actor's portray these characters is spot on. I love Leto's Joker, I felt he was very gangster and human but not as "wacky" as the other's that have been presented, which isn't a bad thing because it makes him more menacing IMO. Will Smiths Deadshot is a stand out as Will is perfect in this role, going back to when he had fun, sorta like when he played Hancock, but more Darker and haunted, and he exemplifies that well. Killer Croc and Diablo were also standouts, not over done or corny. Jai Courtneys didn't disappoint as Captain Boomerang, kinda the male version of Harley Quinn. Joel Kinnaman did well as Rick Flagg, and so did Cara as Enchantress, and her weird movements. Now as for Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn....she did amazing. Showing different ranges of emotion while still managing to not let loose of the characters Deranged persona. It really reminded of the Harley in the Cartoons, which is what she was aiming for and she did it spectacularly. But the real stand out is Viola Davis as Amanda Waller. Brutal is more of the word to use for her. She doesn't back down when in the face of the Squad, as you would think with her knowing their capabilities she would but doesn't. Great performances.

I also liked the practical effects they used for Killer croc and the score, especially when introducing these characters. The pacing for the film is very smooth and swift, but kinda it's downfall also. Another thing I liked was the "Gangster" appeal the film had. It took us into this like psychotic twisted world full of mayhem and gangsterism. It should have been rated R. I also liked the wackiness of the scene switching and cuts. It pulls you in. I think this is where critics kinda bashed it, and I could understand why because the cuts are so quick and abrupt, which worked well with the direction Ayer was bringing to this. I enjoyed the character interactions as well, especially with Rick Flagg leading these group of misfits.

Now as for the problems I have, which one is being the main ingredient.....the action, which is where Ayer seems to get lost in his direction. I would expect more dialogue or more of their character in the action, but it was mostly just a "bang bang, kill kill" type of deal. One scene in an elevator did manage to do it, but I felt it would have been more of a unique approach to characterize the characters more had they done it with every acion sequence.. And even though I liked the score, I felt that it could have used a little more hipness during the action sequences. Also, there is the rushed and climaxed/cliched ending, and I felt when they went up against the main villains, it should have been much harder considering how much destruction was caused. I think the film should have had more than one setting also where these things take place. Everything happens in one place, except for in the flashbacks and introductions, and I could also but help to think where were the "heroes" when all of this disaster was going on.

However the film is not nearly as bad as it is made out to be. Way better than BVS. I do wish they would have made it R rated as it should have been, especially as it was so "gangster" to say. I would have scored it higher but I felt that there should have been a little more effort into that could have made it great but here it is just good. 7/10