Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Sad
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 239

What monsters inhabit your nightmares?

We here probably aren't as terrified of horror movies as other viewers, but I'm just curious. What sort of ghouls and movie monsters have shown up in your nightmares and screwed up your sleep schedule, past and present? And I'm not talking about bill collectors and old teachers.

For me, the most frequent is the zombie. It's only occasionally, but to this day I still have variations of the the same basic nightmare where I find myself in an industrial facility with other civilians and society is just starting to collapse due to a zombie outbreak. And I'm running through a tunnel somewhere, and when I turn a corner, zombies are coming at me. Sometimes I just snap myself awake and then shrug it off, but then other times I'm really shaken by it.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    12-03-2018

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 27
    Donald Trump

I generally don't have "monsters" in my dreams anymore. Every now and again ill have a night terror, but it will most likely be something fucked up about a loved one.

However, when i was doing pain killers i would regularly have sleep paralysis and that shit is freaky. If you're unaware of what this is its when you're asleep but still conscious but your brain is not firing on all cylinders. As a result a part of your brain will tell you that someone or something is near you. My bed is next to a window, so i would always have this weird feeling/image that someone was outside of my window trying to get in. Or my bedroom door would be open and i would look at it and a shadow person would be on top of it. You recognize you're asleep and you try to wake yourself up, eventually you do but its very freaky.

This is shockingly accurate.

Last edited by El Ahrairah; 03-03-2018 at 10:34 PM.

Zombiefied Zealot
    "You should give in,you
    should surrender to that
    feeling you had the first time
    you ever looked into his
    eyes" - Corey Cunningham.

Status
    Last Online
    3 Days Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Goofy
    Follow DarkSuperman On Twitter Add DarkSuperman on Facebook
    Visit DarkSuperman's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 44
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID DarkSuperman87
    When I was around five years old I would have the same nightmare about the Kryptkeeper from Tales from the Krypt.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dr. Sam Loomis: I prayed that he would burn in hell. But in my heart, I knew that hell would not have him.

Zombiefied Zealot
    Hate the voices.

Status
    Last Online
    1 Day Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 266
    Given: 355
    Cthulhu.
    He speaks to me. Says I'm the chosen one.

Last edited by The Mutilated; 03-04-2018 at 02:59 PM.
    I can feel your blood
    dripping on my skin
    I can taste your flesh
    All I need is death.

Rotting Zealot
    Wear the grudge like a crown
    of negativity, calculate what
    we will or will not tolerate,
    desperate to control all and
    everything, unable to forgive

Status
    Last Online
    12-08-2019

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 67
    I don't know about nightmares, but last night James Hetfield came to me in a dream and gave me the idea for corned beef flautas with avocado cream, mexican-irish fusion I promptly emailed the idea to my wife who is the chef in the house, at about 6:30 in the morning.

It might be James Hetfield's greatest accomplishment yet.

Zombiefied Zealot
    The Ancient One

Status
    Last Online
    11-18-2023

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 286
    Given: 328
    I haven't had a nightmare for quite sometime, but growing up I always had the recurring nightmare of Frankenstein's creation

Like, so many people out there were trying to track this down. And it just...got delivered on a tweet. What the hell.

"The individual's rights will be protected only so long as they don't conflict with the state."

“Watch your thoughts, they become words;
    watch your words, they become actions;
    watch your actions, they become habits;
    watch your habits, they become character;
    watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”

Zombiefied Zealot
    damn status bar...my entries
    are too long for you:dislike:

Status
    Last Online
    08-25-2022

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 303
    Given: 255
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag IrishMobsta13
    Ya I have not had a nightmare in a long long while. I miss them actually. I have had a few Sleep Paralysis episodes which is crazy a foooook!?! You cannot move but you are somewhat awake. Very creepy. I have not had it in awhile.

I have also had dreams where I feel as if something has taken over my body and thrashes around like crazy. I guess it would be like a possession. Strange for sure. Again I have not had any of these for awhile.

The UHM Clown

“I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.”
    ― Edgar Allan Poe

Child of the Grave
    The Duke of NY...A#1

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 310
    Given: 94
    Demons for sure....

"Wake up sucker, we're thieves and we're bad guys. That's exactly what we are."

80's Horror fan
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    5 Days Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cheeky
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 11
    Home invaders.

"You screw my wife,I screwdrive your head"

Deadbeat posting at dawn
    病気の

Status
    Last Online
    9 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Add woodenheart on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 360
    Given: 167
    maggots and home invaders, or being hunted.

Resident Omega
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 278
    Given: 107
    Quote Originally Posted by koolmike View Post
    Demons for sure....
    Werd. Straight up high creep.

Dream Demon
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    01-24-2024

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Brooding
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by El Ahrairah View Post
    i would regularly have sleep paralysis and that shit is freaky
    I used to have that all the time as a kid, still happens on occasion today but not very often. Yeah, it definitely is scary. I would be laying in my bed while in a semi-awake state and be totally paralyzed unable to move at all. While in that state I would be hearing all these strange buzzing noises and would always have the feeling like there was some kind of evil presence in the room with me. Always freaked me out.

Last edited by Freddy316; 03-06-2018 at 10:41 PM.
    "The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he receive either"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    10 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 265
    Given: 101
    No monsters, just situations. Bad things happening to my daughter, finding myself back in a relationship that broke my heart, shit like that. Back in my 20s, after I got out of the service, I had a recurring dream for a couple years of friends I'd lost returning from the grave. And every now and then I'll have a dream that is ridiculously, repulsively violent, and I shudder so hard in my dream that I wake myself up.

But I don't read anything into my dreams. I'm of the opinion that dreams are your brain's way of defragmenting. Like a computer, throughout the day your various thoughts, experiences and emotions leave little traces of themselves behind in your psyche, like a browser cache. End of the day, as your brain is "rebooting" -- and because even the unconscious brain requires stimulation -- it attempts to flush out these fragments by forming them into some kind of narrative. And when the brain finds itself unable to narratively connect one fragment to the next, it launches into a whole new narrative. Hence why dreams tend to jump around from one scenario to the next with little rhyme or reason.

Even so, there have been times I've woke up after a particularly bizarre or disturbing dream and thought to myself, "Why the fuck did I dream that???"

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    08-06-2018

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 9
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddy316 View Post
    I used to have that all the time as a kid, still happens on occasion today but not very often. Yeah, it definitely is scary. I would be laying in my bed while in a semi-awake state and be totally paralyzed unable to move at all. While in that state I would be hearing all these strange buzzing noises and would always have the feeling like there was some kind of evil presence in the room with me. Always freaked me out.
    ...is that what that is?! this happened to me when I was 12 years old. and no one believed me. I remember laying on my bed fully clothed after school. I remember being called to dinner but being unable to move. and there was this weird sound; almost like a countdown to something exploding.

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    08-06-2018

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 9
    Quote Originally Posted by RustedChainsaw View Post
    We here probably aren't as terrified of horror movies as other viewers, but I'm just curious. What sort of ghouls and movie monsters have shown up in your nightmares and screwed up your sleep schedule, past and present? And I'm not talking about bill collectors and old teachers.

For me, the most frequent is the zombie. It's only occasionally, but to this day I still have variations of the the same basic nightmare where I find myself in an industrial facility with other civilians and society is just starting to collapse due to a zombie outbreak. And I'm running through a tunnel somewhere, and when I turn a corner, zombies are coming at me. Sometimes I just snap myself awake and then shrug it off, but then other times I'm really shaken by it.
    I'm pretty sure that I've had that kind of dream. it usually begins with me learning of the zombie outbreak, having to run to a place of safety, but also having to decide whether to check on my parents during the dash to survival. I hate dreams like that. the horror is knowing that I could survive. but not without bailing on my loved ones.

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 3
    I have very vivid and realistic nightmares. They come with less frequency as I get older and tend to revolve around feelings of dread and tension. the kind of stuff you forget a few minutes after you wake up. I can only recount fragments and feelings.

There are some I remember very well though. I've actually had nightmares starring michael myers and freddy kruegar. you'd think that would be a little campy or something but not quite.

with myers i was (ironically) babysitting my niece and nephew in my sisters apartment. the parking lot outside became a huge maze where he was following us. we doubled back, knocked the air conditioner out of her kitchen window and when myers climbed in behind him i stabbed him with a screwdriver. realizing this guy always comes back the three of us decided to hack him into little pieces and flushed him in parts down the toilet. must have been 30 years ago when i had that one.

fred was a little scarier. he would jump out when you'd least expect it. i remember he burst out of my cat. he would do the "turn into freddy kruegar while i thought he was someone else thing" a lot. unlike myers with fred i had several dreams, each one different.

i had a zombie apocalypse dream. took place in manhattan and everything was a huge wreck. i remember walking down a decimated 57th street and hiding in subways. military was everywhere.

my vampire dream. very dark and atmospheric.its like a movie. took place in a small european town complete with horse drawn carriages and scared townsfolk, a meeting in a tavern and planning to stake him during the day...i dont think i ever encountered the vampire but his presence was always there.

+ Reply to Thread