Last Online
    02-21-2024

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 4

Review: Lights Out

So I find myself going to check this film out with some relatives last week. I actually have to say that there are somethings that I love about this film, but not enough to recommend seeing in theatres or being all hyped up as it is.

For the most part I will say that the acting in this is very good. Teresa Palmer knows how to give sweet charm and transitions to terror and fear very believably (one scene in which something knocks on a door). The look of fear in her eyes when she sees something strange speaks volumes without her having to say much, as most characters would say something like "what the fuck" or "what is that". The lightening and cinematography are also great. It gave the film kind of a natural look. I also liked how characters didn't fall into the standard cliches, until the third act that is. When they heard a noise or seen something strange they ran away, packed their shit and left. So these characters did more logical things that most of us would do.

Now the biggest issue that I have with this film is that it plays itself too safe. I never understood how spirits are so violent and brutal but are so blood and gore-less, unlike in the film "We are still here" which showed how brutal and violent spirits can be. Not only this but I think what makes a film great is mood and atmosphere, the use of dread and that feeling of despair and suspense. With all the natural lighting and a very creepy villain, I would think it would build more tension if anything, but instead it kinda gives us more of the same (things shaking rattling the door, crawling up the wall, peaking into the door and something shuts it, etc.). I just felt like what could have been different turned out to be every other film I've seen all year....and not only that but it's nothing original as it reminds me of the superior "Darkness falls" and as I mentioned above "We are still here", especially the ghost Diana, which I would have preferred if they used the wide eyed wide mouth look than someone who's been burned to death. I think gore, dread, suspense could have made this a better film, or maybe I am just in need of a slasher flick or tired of this genre.

However for first time writer and director Sandberg, this is not a bad effort at all. I am looking forward to the sequel with hopes of them putting more effort into it. For the most part though it was enjoyable, but not nearly as scary as it could've been.

6/10 from me. What do you guys think?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    " A little GORE never hurts anyone"

Child of the Grave
    The Duke of NY...A#1

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 310
    Given: 94
    I liked it more than you did. Found it a lot of fun. Did what horror movies are supposed to do....entertain and scare. The crowd at the theatre was a big help...EVERYONE was into this one. Had a blast.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Wake up sucker, we're thieves and we're bad guys. That's exactly what we are."

+ Reply to Thread