Status
    Last Online
    10-10-2016

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I've Been Looking for this Movie for My Entire Life...

When I was a kid in the '90s a friend of my grandfathers bought him a VHS tape from a flea market. I used to watch it a lot...though it would be more accurate to say it was running in the background a lot. As a kid I found the movie pretty boring, except for the opening scene, so unfortunately I don't remember anything about the story. What I do remember is that the cover showed several men in black, hooded robes (like, executioner hoods I think) marching across the horizon. The ground below them was black, and the sky behind them was lit red by a rising sun. The title of the film was written across the top in a difficult to read font - because of the font, and my young age, I never really learned the films title. The opening scene is the same as the cover, with a possibly shirtless man in the middle of the procession who is executed by the robed men.
    To be clear, this scene is quite striking and should be enough to identify the film. In every other post I've made I get a ton of responses suggesting films that do not open this way. I think this scene is quite distinct from the rest of the film, and was what mainly interested me as a kid. I generally lost interest after it.
    I think the last time I watched it, I turned it off halfway through...and I think the scene I turned it off at showed a woman sitting on one of those window seats built into one of those convex windows. She was staring out at her yard.

After my grandfather died, the tape disappeared and no one has any idea what happened to it.
    I've spoken to so many people about this, and so much time has elapsed, that it's entirely possible that I have some details wrong.

I've posted all over the internet, checked with people who know movies, browsed seemingly endless cover galleries, and spoken to everyone who was around at the time...but no one seems to know what it is. Though every so often I'll find someone who also remembers it, but doesn't know what it is either.

Now when I was young, I met a kid who also claimed to have seen it and he filled in some details. Unfortunately I now suspect he was lying, as kids do, so I know my memory is a bit corrupt.
    The main detail that I think he added was the execution...I'm not sure it happened.

After a few requests, I've sort of drawn the cover (http://imgur.com/17goySW). The more I focus, the fuzzier the exact details are. I know the ground is like that - just blackness covering the bottom of the screen/box art, then the hooded men are walking from left to right. There are 3 - 4 of them I think and I think the hoods aren't part of the robes, but rather executioner's hoods.
    I think, though it might be a false memory, that their eyes are red on the box but not in the film. I can't remember the exact coloring of the sky, or the positioning of the sun but it's either a sunrise or sunset so it's red, purple, or some mix.
    If there's an execution, then there's a shirtless man in the middle of the robed men with his hands bound with rope.
    There are some subtle differences between the box art and the opening, though I'm not sure what they are (other than the red eyes), I believe the sky is a different color and there may be a different number of robed men (and possibly, if there's an execution, the man isn't on the box art)
    I'm not positive if the title is at the top or on the bottom but I'm pretty sure it's at the top, and the letters might be made to look like thorny vines...or it may be a fancy script like font.

I know my description is hazy and not very focused, but it's been around 20 years and memory is faulty. I'm positive about my description of the cover art, and I'm positive of my description of the opening scene (men in robes and hoods marching across the horizon).

Surely there's someone else, somewhere on Earth who has also seen this movie?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow FrighT MasteR On Twitter Add FrighT MasteR on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 879
    Given: 134
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID frightie Steam ID frightie
    It sounds vaguely familiar to me for some reason. Maybe something from the late 70s or early 80s

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow FrighT MasteR On Twitter Add FrighT MasteR on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 879
    Given: 134
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID frightie Steam ID frightie
    It's a longshot, but for some reason Judgement Day AKA The 3rd Hand is the first thing that popped in my head

Resident Omega
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 278
    Given: 107
    My initial thought was Devil's Rain from '75. Haven't seen it in years, but here's a couple of shots.

Attachment 25457 Attachment 25458

Fresh Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    12-16-2020

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0