12-03-2018

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 27
    Quote Originally Posted by Primetimeloser View Post
    I'd really like to see that.
    Its definitely something he would be more competent in doing, but i feel that House was nothing but a remake of Texas. I dont think he would make it worthy of being called different.It would probably end up being the Psycho remake all over... scene for scene.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by El Ahrairah; 10-18-2016 at 05:50 PM.

Call me STRT or Street
    If someone asks if you are a
    god you say YES

Status
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Follow strtfghtr On Twitter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 727
    Given: 363
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID EataFat1 Steam ID strtfghtr Wii Code something...
    I agree, House of 1k is basically his texas chainsaw film without leatherface

All You Need is Blood - The Official UHM Horror Podcast

https://soundcloud.com/allyouneedisblood

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    12-03-2018

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Yah, maybe it was not a "remake" but more like a.... re-imagining of Texas.

UHM Emissary
    Long live the new flesh

Status
    Last Online
    01-19-2024

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 276
    Given: 706
    I can see why you guys would say that about House. Couldnt see it getting more hate than the last Texas Chainsaw movie.

* First time watch
    365 Days of Horror 2020-2021 https://boxd.it/97ywm

Rotting Zealot
    Cat of Ulthar

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Asleep
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0
    Been going to this guy's YouTube channel for years now—really dig his reviews of the more obscure stuff. You can tell he's a true horror fan. While I don't exactly have the disdain for Zombie he does, I think he's pretty spot on in his assessment. The one on the Friday the 13th series is interesting, too.

Child of the Grave
    The Duke of NY...A#1

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 310
    Given: 94
    agreed

"Wake up sucker, we're thieves and we're bad guys. That's exactly what we are."

Fresh Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    09-17-2019

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 8
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyVato View Post
    He hasn't destroyed it for me because I haven't watched any of these piece of shits! I knew these were gonna be bad so I haven't even made an attempt to watch. So I'm good!
    For me, just house of 1000 and the Devil's Rejects, After that all his stuff is pretty much all the same. So I didn't bother to watch the remakes either.

Last edited by rogue17; 01-24-2017 at 08:46 PM.

Child of the Grave
    The Duke of NY...A#1

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up
    King Diamond should write/direct a horror film

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Child of the Grave
    The Duke of NY...A#1

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up
    I challenge all lovers of the horror genre to read the lyrics written by King Diamond on 2 of his most impressive projects: ABIGAIL and THEM. Blows away anything Slob Zombie has written.

Ain't Got Time Fo' Jibba-Jabba
    Drunk Again

Status
    Last Online
    03-18-2022

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 39
    Quote Originally Posted by koolmike View Post
    I challenge all lovers of the horror genre to read the lyrics written by King Diamond on 2 of his most impressive projects: ABIGAIL and THEM. Blows away anything Slob Zombie has written.
    I'm a King Diamond nut. Them and Conspiracy are the two that go together. I'd like to see it turned into a movie. I've seen Mercyful Fate once and Diamond twice. Anyways, I don't care for Zombie's music, but I like House 1k and absolutely love The Devil's Rejects. I actually liked the 1st half of Halloween with the kid Mike Myers. I thought the 2nd half was complete garbage.

Child of the Grave
    The Duke of NY...A#1

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up
    [QUOTE=Ashstrodamus;1158040 Them and Conspiracy are the two that go together. [/QUOTE]

Love my fellow Fate and Diamond fans!

I know that....BUT THEM on its own is a masterpiece...as is ABIGAIL

Last edited by koolmike; 01-25-2017 at 12:01 AM.

Fresh Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    05-29-2019

Member #
    Threads
    Follow alorenzopadamsfilm On Twitter Add alorenzopadamsfilm on Facebook Add alorenzopadamsfilm on Google+
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 13
    Quote Originally Posted by bravenewworld1 View Post
    The reality is he had a bunch of experience in videography and two full length movies under his belt (one cult, the other critically acclaimed). The fact is the job would have gone to someone probably less qualified if it was not him. Just because you and the guy in the video dislike his work does not make him unqualified or mean he should not have been given a chance.
    The reality is also that there are some who like his vision and take on the world of horror and there are others who this it's trash. #kanyeshrug

I've always wondered what the "remake" would have been like had a......Alexander Aja (High Tension/Hill Have Eyes remake), James Wan (Conjuring/Insidious), Fede Alvarez (Evil Dead remake/Don't Breath), Jeremy Saulnier (Blue Ruin/Green Room)....yup so many others who appear to be more worthy

Working on my FIRST indie feature, a psychological horror thriller by the name of "Why Mona Rae?" Check me out! #IndieHorror #HorrorFansTurnedFilmmakers
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6019360/

Zombiefied Zealot
    "You should give in,you
    should surrender to that
    feeling you had the first time
    you ever looked into his
    eyes" - Corey Cunningham.

Status
    Last Online
    3 Days Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Goofy
    Follow DarkSuperman On Twitter Add DarkSuperman on Facebook
    Visit DarkSuperman's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 44
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID DarkSuperman87
    Zombie's HII was one of the worst movies I had ever seen.
    I literally fell asleep in the theatre.
    It was that bad.

Dr. Sam Loomis: I prayed that he would burn in hell. But in my heart, I knew that hell would not have him.

Child of the Grave
    The Duke of NY...A#1

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up
    Rob Zombie is a complete waste IMO. This thread should be deleted and any further discussion involving him should be left to www.Iknownothingabouthorrormovies.com.

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    12-03-2018

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    awwww, you disappoint me Mike, i thought that was going to be a real website.

Child of the Grave
    The Duke of NY...A#1

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by El Ahrairah View Post
    awwww, you disappoint me Mike, i thought that was going to be a real website.
    John Carpenter calls RZ a "Piece of Shit"

http://www.metalsucks.net/2016/09/26...ie-piece-shit/

Last edited by koolmike; 01-25-2018 at 12:21 AM.

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    21 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 265
    Given: 101
    Quote Originally Posted by koolmike View Post
    Rob Zombie is a complete waste IMO. This thread should be deleted and any further discussion involving him should be left to www.Iknownothingabouthorrormovies.com.
    So, obviously you're not a fan of Rob Zombie in general. That's no reason to insult as a group those of us who don't compulsively hate him.

I agree he's made some bad films -- I didn't care much for House of 1,000 Corpses (it's fine for a filmmaker to wear his influences on his sleeve, but that movie was entirely cobbled together from pieces of other movies) and I thought his Halloween 2 was absolute dreck (poorly written, acted, sloppily directed, even the cinematography was ugly). And 31 felt like a filmmaker spinning his wheels, rehashing the same old territory despite having proved with his previous film (Lords of Salem) that he has so much more to offer.

But nobody with an appreciation of film in general can look at The Devil's Rejects and say Zombie is incapable of establishing a palpable feel of period and mood or getting entertaining performances out of his actors; nobody with an appreciation of film can look at Lords of Salem and say that film isn't art-directed to within an inch of its life and that visually it's often downright Kubrickian. And his remake of Halloween has a lot to offer in terms of tension and character building (at least the first half; once it jumps ahead to Michael as an adult, it's basically a condensed version of the original Halloween). Even 31, which as already stated I didn't like, was at least well-directed.

As a writer, he has his pluses and minuses. His pluses are his ability to weave together all his horror and exploitation influences into original stories (again, House of 1,000 Corpses and Halloween 2 notwithstanding), his cinematic eye for visuals, and, as is of course a given with a career musician, he has a knack for soundtracks. I have never liked Lynyrd Skynyrd's Freebird (being a child of the '70s and '80s that damn song was played to death for me a LONG time ago) but after TDR, I have a new appreciation for it. His minuses are his superfluous use of profanity in dialogue; there are a number cringe-worthy moments of juvenile sex talk in his movies, and when every other word out of every character's mouth is the word "fuck" or some deviation thereof, everyone starts sounding the same. This also results in a loss of characterization. Also, he has a tendency to throw in nudity which, while it may be meant to recall the kind of casual nudity you'd see in '70s cinema, feels intentionally casual. And he sometimes wrongly goes the way of cheap shock and gratuitous violence, when in some cases it's smarter and stronger to use subtlety and allow the audience's imagination to do his scaring for him.

Incidentally, I'm also a fan of his music, for the most part. White Zombie was to hard rock what The Devil's Rejects was to exploitation films, basically Zombie chewing up all his influences and spitting them out as something new and fresh. I do think his solo work has been lacking of late, but '90s-era White Zombie and solo Zombie was great stuff. I have no opinions about Zombie as a person. Never met the guy, have no idea what he's like in his personal life. So barring any revelations that he's a sexual predator or child molester, I harbor no negative thoughts or ill will against him.

But that's just my take, as someone who likes some of Zombie's work and therefore knows nothing about horror.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot, that article where Carpenter called Zombie a piece of shit? That's old news. Not long after, Zombie contacted him and turns out, the whole thing was a misunderstanding, and Carpenter has no hard feelings.

Last edited by Lon of the Dead; 01-25-2018 at 01:24 PM.

Deadbeat posting at dawn
    病気の

Status
    Last Online
    19 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Add woodenheart on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 360
    Given: 167
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon of the Dead View Post
    So, obviously you're not a fan of Rob Zombie in general. That's no reason to insult as a group those of us who don't compulsively hate him.

I agree he's made some bad films -- I didn't care much for House of 1,000 Corpses (it's fine for a filmmaker to wear his influences on his sleeve, but that movie was entirely cobbled together from pieces of other movies) and I thought his Halloween 2 was absolute dreck (poorly written, acted, sloppily directed, even the cinematography was ugly). And 31 felt like a filmmaker spinning his wheels, rehashing the same old territory despite having proved with his previous film (Lords of Salem) that he has so much more to offer.

But nobody with an appreciation of film in general can look at The Devil's Rejects and say Zombie is incapable of establishing a palpable feel of period and mood or getting entertaining performances out of his actors; nobody with an appreciation of film can look at Lords of Salem and say that film isn't art-directed to within an inch of its life and that visually it's often downright Kubrickian. And his remake of Halloween has a lot to offer in terms of tension and character building (at least the first half; once it jumps ahead to Michael as an adult, it's basically a condensed version of the original Halloween). Even 31, which as already stated I didn't like, was at least well-directed.

As a writer, he has his pluses and minuses. His pluses are his ability to weave together all his horror and exploitation influences into original stories (again, House of 1,000 Corpses and Halloween 2 notwithstanding), his cinematic eye for visuals, and, as is of course a given with a career musician, he has a knack for soundtracks. I have never liked Lynyrd Skynyrd's Freebird (being a child of the '70s and '80s that damn song was played to death for me a LONG time ago) but after TDR, I have a new appreciation for it. His minuses are his superfluous use of profanity in dialogue; there are a number cringe-worthy moments of juvenile sex talk in his movies, and when every other word out of every character's mouth is the word "fuck" or some deviation thereof, everyone starts sounding the same. This also results in a loss of characterization. Also, he has a tendency to throw in nudity which, while it may be meant to recall the kind of casual nudity you'd see in '70s cinema, feels intentionally casual. And he sometimes wrongly goes the way of cheap shock and gratuitous violence, when in some cases it's smarter and stronger to use subtlety and allow the audience's imagination to do his scaring for him.

Incidentally, I'm also a fan of his music, for the most part. White Zombie was to hard rock what The Devil's Rejects was to exploitation films, basically Zombie chewing up all his influences and spitting them out as something new and fresh. I do think his solo work has been lacking of late, but '90s-era White Zombie and solo Zombie was great stuff. I have no opinions about Zombie as a person. Never met the guy, have no idea what he's like in his personal life. So barring any revelations that he's a sexual predator or child molester, I harbor no negative thoughts or ill will against him.

But that's just my take, as someone who likes some of Zombie's work and therefore knows nothing about horror.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot, that article where Carpenter called Zombie a piece of shit? That's old news. Not long after, Zombie contacted him and turns out, the whole thing was a misunderstanding, and Carpenter has no hard feelings.

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    12-03-2018

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    I got your back on this one Mike... You can sit back, relax, and watch a shitty Knicks, Nets, Mets, Yankees or Giants game.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon of the Dead View Post
    I think his minuses are WAY more prevalent and numerous than you're making them out to be and his positives are few and far between.

His "cinematography" style, is 1990s MTV music video. He has moved on a bit from this, but its seen throughout most of his library. Of course this is the case because his only experience in film making before 1000 was music video's and it definitely shows. What he has adapted to is bland and lacks any kind of creativity, basically it took him a decade of killing movies to reach the point he would have been at had he gone to film school and been a first year writer/director.
    Despite his work being very sloppy and an incoherent mess, ironically his best work was 1000 corpses and Rejects. Which i don't think is saying too much.

And now we dive into his writing and i wont even get into how poor his character writing is because i feel youve covered that........The problem with these (the two good movies) and all of his movies, while the first two are decent he very clearly has an idea for a movie and then watches two or three movies to "inspire" him but because hes not a real film maker he simply ends up copying them. You could call 1000 corpses a remake or re-envisioning of Texas. Rejects you could tell he still had the Texas idea, but he must have started watching the late 90s independent thrillers or maybe even From Dusk Til Dawn. The point is, we can really narrow down what he's watching when writing these scripts. In the comedy world, this would be a joke thief. This is not homage to these movies, its straight stealing from them and we see this with all of his movies, including his latest disaster piece "31", which.... wow, oh wow, that redefined bad. These movies end up being like Always Sunny, without the self awareness.

Now of course executives saw this from him which is why they decided to bring him on for remakes/reboots. Ideally he is the perfect guy for horror remakes/reboots. Not very creative, at that point had shown he can put together a semi-coherent movie and his name draws a crowd that are a large percentage of horror movie viewing demographics.
    So they go with Halloween, i remember there being rumors about him doing Texas as well, but im not sure what happened to that but i suspect he was dropped because of the bad reception Halloween got.

With Halloween it really made myself and many others, question if he understood the movies at all but more importantly, this should have been the last straw for even those "defending" him as a writer and film maker. It was the apex of everything he does poorly. From the one dimensional, very poorly written characters (and dialog) that do not even feel like real human beings. To the focus on story aspects that should not be focused on. To the lazy and nonsensical attempt at the surreal. And as mentioned before, it was pretty clear he did not understand what made Halloween a great and frightening series, that he only viewed it as a knife wielding killer and he didnt seem to look past that. And anyone who understands these movies (or at least the first two) understood that this is what separated the series from all the other slashers.... these aspects thrown into the movie that even if you were not aware of them, you're brain was and its what made the movies work and its a shame that Zombie ignored his brain.

And all of this is without diving into the possibility that his entire writing/directing career might simply be a ruse to give his failed actress wife, work.

There are bad directors who end up making movies unintentionally. These are typically pretty good because they are so bad. Im not one to say "its bad thus it holds no value or entertainment", some of the best movie watching experiences of my life have been watching shit movies with friends while smoking some greenery. Not to advocate drug use, but this is an experience i feel everyone should live through.
    But then there are the bad, bad movies. Movies with a bad director, a bad script, and you generally have a bad time watching it. This has been my and most people i speak with or know (aside from Rob Zombie/White Zombie fans who blindly defend this guy) experience with all but two of his movies.
    Im all for differences in what people enjoy, but with Rob Zombie and his movies, 99 out of 100 times someone tries to defend his movies, they seem to be doing so because they enjoy his music and not because they are taking an objective look at the movies themselves.

Last edited by El Ahrairah; 01-25-2018 at 06:46 PM.

UHM's Arrogant Metal Head
    If anything is possible, is it
    possible for something to be
    impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Add DMHead777 on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 570
    Given: 1,294
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag DMHead777 PSN ID dmhead777 Steam ID whittem0re
    Quote Originally Posted by El Ahrairah View Post
    I got your back on this one Mike... You can sit back, relax, and watch a shitty Knicks, Nets, Mets, Yankees or Giants game.

I think his minuses are WAY more prevalent and numerous than you're making them out to be and his positives are few and far between.

His "cinematography" style, is 1990s MTV music video. He has moved on a bit from this, but its seen throughout most of his library. Of course this is the case because his only experience in film making before 1000 was music video's and it definitely shows. What he has adapted to is bland and lacks any kind of creativity, basically it took him a decade of killing movies to reach the point he would have been at had he gone to film school and been a first year writer/director.
    Despite his work being very sloppy and an incoherent mess, ironically his best work was 1000 corpses and Rejects. Which i don't think is saying too much.

And now we dive into his writing and i wont even get into how poor his character writing is because i feel youve covered that........The problem with these (the two good movies) and all of his movies, while the first two are decent he very clearly has an idea for a movie and then watches two or three movies to "inspire" him but because hes not a real film maker he simply ends up copying them. You could call 1000 corpses a remake or re-envisioning of Texas. Rejects you could tell he still had the Texas idea, but he must have started watching the late 90s independent thrillers or maybe even From Dusk Til Dawn. The point is, we can really narrow down what he's watching when writing these scripts. In the comedy world, this would be a joke thief. This is not homage to these movies, its straight stealing from them and we see this with all of his movies, including his latest disaster piece "31", which.... wow, oh wow, that redefined bad. These movies end up being like Always Sunny, without the self awareness.

Now of course executives saw this from him which is why they decided to bring him on for remakes/reboots. Ideally he is the perfect guy for horror remakes/reboots. Not very creative, at that point had shown he can put together a semi-coherent movie and his name draws a crowd that are a large percentage of horror movie viewing demographics.
    So they go with Halloween, i remember there being rumors about him doing Texas as well, but im not sure what happened to that but i suspect he was dropped because of the bad reception Halloween got.

With Halloween it really made myself and many others, question if he understood the movies at all but more importantly, this should have been the last straw for even those "defending" him as a writer and film maker. It was the apex of everything he does poorly. From the one dimensional, very poorly written characters (and dialog) that do not even feel like real human beings. To the focus on story aspects that should not be focused on. To the lazy and nonsensical attempt at the surreal. And as mentioned before, it was pretty clear he did not understand what made Halloween a great and frightening series, that he only viewed it as a knife wielding killer and he didnt seem to look past that. And anyone who understands these movies (or at least the first two) understood that this is what separated the series from all the other slashers.... these aspects thrown into the movie that even if you were not aware of them, you're brain was and its what made the movies work and its a shame that Zombie ignored his brain.

And all of this is without diving into the possibility that his entire writing/directing career might simply be a ruse to give his failed actress wife, work.

There are bad directors who end up making movies unintentionally. These are typically pretty good because they are so bad. Im not one to say "its bad thus it holds no value or entertainment", some of the best movie watching experiences of my life have been watching shit movies with friends while smoking some greenery. Not to advocate drug use, but this is an experience i feel everyone should live through.
    But then there are the bad, bad movies. Movies with a bad director, a bad script, and you generally have a bad time watching it. This has been my and most people i speak with or know (aside from Rob Zombie/White Zombie fans who blindly defend this guy) experience with all but two of his movies.
    Im all for differences in what people enjoy, but with Rob Zombie and his movies, 99 out of 100 times someone tries to defend his movies, they seem to be doing so because they enjoy his music and not because they are taking an objective look at the movies themselves.
    I don't agree with you on much, but I stand behind 100% everything you just said.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast