Visit DarkSuperman's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 44
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID DarkSuperman87
    Carpenter is my hero!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dr. Sam Loomis: I prayed that he would burn in hell. But in my heart, I knew that hell would not have him.

UHM's Arrogant Metal Head
    If anything is possible, is it
    possible for something to be
    impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Add DMHead777 on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 570
    Given: 1,294
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag DMHead777 PSN ID dmhead777 Steam ID whittem0re
    Quote Originally Posted by woodenheart View Post

He more than cares about other people's opinions. He deletes people off his Facebook for disagreeing with him lol. He can't take criticism worth shit. And if he did ask other people's opinions before making a film, they would probably tell him that he's borrowing a liiiitle too much to be forgivable. Oh wait, I'm sorry, it's an "homage"

He makes Kickstarters to get his music fans to pay for upcoming films. He puts the prices at an ungodly amount. When called out he says, 'Uh..I'm trying to connect with the fans more, that's why I want their money!' He deletes people off his Facebook page if you give him the slightest criticism. He also is one of the worst writers I have seen in horror in a long time. Before you even know what his future movies are about, you know how bad the dialogue will be. It's not interesting, it doesn't do anything to the story, it's just white trash dialogue with the word "fuck" thrown every other word. He's shit.

His solo music career is trash and most of the people that stick up for his movie career somehow love his solo music career. He banks off these people who don't want to say his movies stink when they do. I don't overly hate his films for no reason and I have seen a LOT worse than these, but let's not praise someone who is mediocre at best. His movies are predictable, his dialogue sucks and he casts his non-talented wife in everything. He's a great cinematographer, but that's about all he is worth a damn about. I hear he is a cool guy in real life, but his movie career brings nothing to the table.

Deadbeat posting at dawn
    病気の

Status
    Last Online
    14 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Add woodenheart on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 360
    Given: 167

You don't like him.

I like him.

impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by woodenheart View Post
    You don't like him.

I like him.
    I never said you couldn't like him and I didn't say anything negative because you do.

But him saying he doesn't give a shit about people's opinions is pretty god damn hilarious.

Child of the Grave
    The Duke of NY...A#1

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 310
    Given: 94
    Quote Originally Posted by DMHead777 View Post
    He more than cares about other people's opinions. He deletes people off his Facebook for disagreeing with him lol. He can't take criticism worth shit. And if he did ask other people's opinions before making a film, they would probably tell him that he's borrowing a liiiitle too much to be forgivable. Oh wait, I'm sorry, it's an "homage"

He makes Kickstarters to get his music fans to pay for upcoming films. He puts the prices at an ungodly amount. When called out he says, 'Uh..I'm trying to connect with the fans more, that's why I want their money!' He deletes people off his Facebook page if you give him the slightest criticism. He also is one of the worst writers I have seen in horror in a long time. Before you even know what his future movies are about, you know how bad the dialogue will be. It's not interesting, it doesn't do anything to the story, it's just white trash dialogue with the word "fuck" thrown every other word. He's shit.

His solo music career is trash and most of the people that stick up for his movie career somehow love his solo music career. He banks off these people who don't want to say his movies stink when they do. I don't overly hate his films for no reason and I have seen a LOT worse than these, but let's not praise someone who is mediocre at best. His movies are predictable, his dialogue sucks and he casts his non-talented wife in everything. He's a great cinematographer, but that's about all he is worth a damn about. I hear he is a cool guy in real life, but his movie career brings nothing to the table.

"Wake up sucker, we're thieves and we're bad guys. That's exactly what we are."

Child of the Grave
    The Duke of NY...A#1

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by strtfghtr View Post
    Yeah KM has the biggest reverse hard-on for Zombie I've ever seen. I think RZ must have stolen his date and crapped in his ice cream or something.
    Made me laugh you fuck....just when I wanted to fight a little more lolol.....Cheers buddy!

Child of the Grave
    The Duke of NY...A#1

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up
    But him saying he doesn't give a shit about people's opinions is pretty god damn hilarious.
    It sure is. He's a sensitive pussy.

In the early days of his music career (White Zombie) he was OK....then he went solo and buried his nose up OzzY's ass....followed him everywhere....even to the bathroom...and tried to endure a career on OzzFest tours and counting heavily on Sharon helping him get the big deals and gigs....that relationship went South and hence the movie career....then his nose went up Romero and Carpenter's ass....was following them around whenever he could and started "borrowing" from them too. The guy is a shameless hack...In My Opinion...and today I heard that there will be a Devil's Rejects 2

Last edited by koolmike; 01-28-2018 at 05:20 PM.

Call me STRT or Street
    If someone asks if you are a
    god you say YES

Status
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Follow strtfghtr On Twitter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 727
    Given: 363
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID EataFat1 Steam ID strtfghtr Wii Code something...
    Quote Originally Posted by koolmike View Post
    Made me laugh you fuck....just when I wanted to fight a little more lolol.....Cheers buddy!
    You know Im always up for a good UHM fight.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

All You Need is Blood - The Official UHM Horror Podcast

https://soundcloud.com/allyouneedisblood

Child of the Grave
    The Duke of NY...A#1

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up

Zombiefied Zealot
    Majestic ruler of scavengers

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 72
    You know Im always up for a good UHM fight.

Resident Omega
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 278
    Given: 107
    he doesn't give a shit about people's opinions is pretty god damn hilarious.
    You be forgettin' da code Master D. We're werewolves, not swearwolves.

Master of Brutality
    Back at it again.

Status
    Last Online
    10-10-2020

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Sneaky
    Add UzumakiW on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 152
    Given: 75
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID UzumakiW Steam ID UzumakiW
    He has a couple good songs from his solo. His movies aren't the worst I've seen, but most of them, my life would be just peachy had I not spent the time watching them.

Was the Halloween franchise going well before he got it? Hell no. It was dead before he got his hands on it. But him digging up the corpse and parading it around with some shitty ideas really didn't help.

"We all go a little mad sometimes"

Child of the Grave
    The Duke of NY...A#1

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up
    I know I'm gonna get it BUT I don't care....who are these people that find Rob Zombie "creative?" What the fuck has he done other than remind us of other horror writers/directors who have done it right. My God...is the horror genre in such a desperate state that we allow RZ with open arms to reimagine fucking Halloween!!!!??? not once...but twice? ... Holy Shit...the bad acting, bad writing, bad directing, bad EVERYTHING in every fuckin film he's put his sorry name on makes me wanna go on a machete wielding rampage...I just exhaled.... Still feel the pain...RZ is NOT horror...he is a hack...period! IMO of course.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Child of the Grave
    The Duke of NY...A#1

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up
    I'm waiting for ONE thoughtful and convincing critique on how Rob Zombie has contributed to the horror genre. He CLEARLY remade Halloween knowing it would suck ALMOST as bad as his solo career musically just to get a rise from horror fans...WHO are passionate about this genre....prolly more so than any other....man I hate this guy

His wife and that fat clown moron that frequent his sorry films should be beaten to death!

Last edited by koolmike; 02-01-2018 at 12:42 AM.

Call me STRT or Street
    god you say YES

Status
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by koolmike View Post
    I'm waiting for ONE thoughtful and convincing critique on how Rob Zombie has contributed to the horror genre. He CLEARLY remade Halloween knowing it would suck ALMOST as bad as his solo career musically just to get a rise from horror fans...WHO are passionate about this genre....prolly more so than any other....man I hate this guy

His wife and that fat clown moron that frequent his sorry films should be beaten to death!
    Do you actually want one or would you just like to ignore it and continue ranting? I can tell you why I liked most of his movies (they're for different reasons in each one) and I can also tell you what I think he brings to the genre as a whole. But if you don't want to have an actual discussion I won't bother.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

I..don't really see what he has done for the genre either to be honest. I'll try to sum up his films and explain why I like/don't like them either.

House of 1000 Corpses (2003)
    -This really is just a Texas Chainsaw Massacre rip off. I would say it's an homage, but the entire movie is basically Texas Chainsaw Massacre without Leatherface. I do have my nostalgic moments for this film as I used to love it when I was younger. I enjoy the hell out of Sid Haig in this and think it had some decent gore. There is a difference between gritty and trashy however. Texas Chainsaw Massacre is a very dirty film. It makes you feel gross and sweaty and that is one of the great things about it. House of 1k Corpses is just trashy. It began his trashy career. Every character is just a redneck. While it works for this film, he doesn't need to do it every one. Still though, while the movie isn't terrible, it doesn't bring anything to the table. I'd say the only thing it did was bring Sid Haig into the spotlight a bit more to younger fans.

The Devil's Rejects (2005)
    -So it's been a while since I seen this, but I remember enjoying it immensely. This is still white trash horror and I love how it wasn't as over the top as House of 1K Corpses. It is a more serious sequel. It has some great performances, but is balanced out by casting his wife again. Yeah, it's his wife, but give her a minor role. A major role in his films is pretty awful. I get it for DR as she was in the first, but it doesn't need to go on past this. She cannot act to save her life. The movie is violent and a good watch, but still doesn't bring anything new to the genre. It's still white trash characters with a load of gore and the word "fuck" used a million times because he's a shitty writer. It's definitely his best film though. It all goes down hill from here.

Grindhouse trailer: Werewolf Women of the SS (2007)
    -I remember seeing this trailer while watching Grindhouse and really wish he made this. The trailer was cool and completely ludicrous. I would have loved it because it wouldn't rely on his typical white trash characters.

Halloween (2007)
    -Ok whew. I'm finally glad his white trash and swearing characters are finally done. Oh wait, he just brought them to Halloween. I gave this movie a 5 when I watched it last October. It is a very useless remake that takes the original story and pretty much shits all over it. It's obviously not the worst remake I have ever seen, but did not need to be done. He was spouting off how he wanted to put his own spin onto a classic. The problem is that his spin is all immature bullshit. He included a very boring and not-needed backstory, extremely unlikable characters and his wife, again. Not to mention the dialogue seems to be written by a 15 year old. When this came out, I was a year out of high school. When I watch it, I should be able to relate to SOME of the characters on some kind of small level. But no, it's just awful. The dialogue was filled with curse words because he can't write for shit. The original was super special, scary and had characters you actually gave a shit about. He literally just dumbed it down for a younger audience. Nice spin. This is his third film and so far the Devil's Rejects is the only semi-original script he had. Still doesn't do anything for the genre. Nothing he has done so far separates him from any other asshole director doing a remake for cash.

Halloween II (2009)
    -Well done Zombie. Not only have you made a remake to dumb down the original, but you made an asinine sequel to it as well. I can't really put into words how useless this shit is. It's really not as bad as people make it out to be. People claim it's the worst film they have ever seen, but it's not. Not saying it's good by any means though. It shouldn't have been made. This is what happens when he really lets loose with his storytelling. You get ghosts, horses, and more unlikable characters. You could argue that Malcolm McDowell was one of the better used characters in the first. It's funny to an extent that he turned into an arrogant douchebag, but doesn't make sense at all. His entire first movie you have this Loomis character that is more like the Pleasence "Loomis" from the original. Then Zombie makes a complete 180 and makes Malcolm McDowell turn into this gigantic asshole. I did not see that character from the first one. You can't have all of this character development go to complete waste. But then, he did a complete 180 for the other characters as well. Laurie Strode went from being a complete bitch in the first, to an understandable bitch in this. Yeah, she's been through some shit, but there are glimpses of a good person here and there. Danielle Harris and Brad Dourif really steal the show here acting wise. Also, they are the only good characters in the entire damn thing. Long story short, the movie shouldn't have been made. It was for pure profit and to stretch Zombie's ego. Also, a lousy excuse to put your non-talented wife in another film.

The Haunted World of El Superbeasto (2009)
    -This movie is garbage. The animation sucks, dialogue sucks and Zombie mainly relied on the star power he could get for this. Spoiler: It has the same voices from actors he puts in all of his films. It's more in tune with the Rob Zombie personality, but otherwise does nothing for his career.

The Lords of Salem (2012)
    -Man did this really disappoint me. I was enjoying the hell out of it for the first 35-45 minutes and then it took a huge shit on my expectations. After so many years, I was finally waiting to see what Zombie could do with an actual original horror story. What I got was a fat demon baby with beautiful cinematography. The first 45 minutes was spooky, had good dialogue and built to what I thought was going to be a satisfying ending. There is a kitchen scene that has a pretty long take. Staring at it, I thought I was missing something. The longer I stared at it, the more I noticed. That includes the random demon sitting in the corner that I was not expecting. The movie can be beautiful, but once again his wife is the thorn in this. She cannot act, let alone be a leading lady. The dialogue turns to shit and has a terrible outcome. It has some good ideas, but ultimately leads to nowhere. Only thing I really give this movie credit for outside of some beautiful scenes is the star power. He hired some great actors for this, but even they couldn't save this flick. Still though.....this is his 5th film and he not done shit for the genre. His movies are mediocre at best and hundreds of other directors have done each one of his films way better than him.

It was around this time where Rob Zombie asked people what they thought of Lords of Salem on his Facebook. There was another comment saying, "He is deleting negative replies lol, be careful". So, I replied with, "It was okay at best, definitely not as bad as some of his past films." It was a simple opinion. The next day I find that I was removed from his Facebook and banned from posting any comments on his postings. This is around the time where I lost most of my respect for this guy. People always say how cool he is, but it's pretty obvious he can't handle criticism in the slightest. This is now pretty obvious when all of his work is reminiscent of past successful horror films. He makes a film that's almost a rip off to a past popular film because his original ideas are fucking terrible.

31 (2016)
    -So, I actually went into this with an open mind. I thought, "Okay, you don't like Zombie's films, but this one has a simple premise that he can't possibly fuck up that bad on." I then saw the clusterfuck of his "FanBacked" page for this. Because, you know, a man that's getting paid millions and millions of dollars needs to do a crowd-fund for his films right? Just to be curious, I looked on the Kickstarter. To my actual shock, I found it to be a complete ripoff. I thought that maybe he wanted to connect to fans and give away cool shit for cheap. Maybe he didn't really need the Kickstarter for 31 and just wanted to have fans donate to be a part of the film. After reading the following, I was optimistic:

“I’m crowd funding because I realize that it’s an incredible opportunity to engage the fans. They’ve always been the most important thing for me because, with metal and horror, the fans aren’t just fans – it’s their life, their lifestyle. They live and breathe it, as I do, and any way that you can bring the people that are as passionate about it as you are into the process is a win-win for everybody.Get on board! Get involved! Be part of this horrifying business! The world of horror needs you!”
    Hilariously enough, and I shit you not, the rewards were from his past films were props from past films. There was a mask from Halloween or a signed cross from the graveyard of House of 1000 Corpses. The signed cross was insanely overpriced. Upwards of over $500 if I recall correctly. He made everything insanely overpriced to the point where I legitimately thought all of the budget money was coming from people. Just being in the film as an extra would cost you over $1000.

So, whatever right? Don't do the crowdfunding. Let's see how the film was. With characters called Death-Head and Doom-Head, the movie can't be terrible right? Well, it had a good premise. Not original by any means, but good. It's basically a horror version of Running Man. I'd pay to see that. What we got was more shitty dialogue than anything. Seriously, in a movie about pure murder in game-show form, we get more talking than anything. We have a pair of clowns that literally stare at the people and go into detail about how they will be murdered. "I'm going to skull fuck you then fuck your cunt!" Cool bro, do it. Each "fight" lasts only a few minutes. We get like 5-10 minutes of build up and talking with a fight that only lasts a fraction of that. Let me clarify. We get 5-10 minutes of shitty dialogue like what I just said previously and then some decent gore effects that don't last long at all. The whole movie is like that.

IN FACT: Spoilers.......................................the ending of the film relied on the main antagonist talking so long that time literally runs out. Seriously, that's the fucking ending. Even if this were an actual game show and these guys did this all the time, I doubt they would sit there and talk your ear off so close to dawn. It has plot holes for days and just generally not good at all. I'd say next to Halloween II, this was his worst film. The crowd-funding was a complete joke and the items were expensive. The acting in the actual movie was awful because SHOCKER, his wife is the main character and he goes back to the trashy bullshit characters again. It has more horrible dialogue than gore and on top of ALL that, it's still not even an original movie. Running Man did it way better, and it wasn't even a horror film!

So, no. He has not done a thing for the genre. Really, his only die hard fans are just there because of his music. Let's not beat around the bush here. That is the strong majority. The reason why his movies do well with fans is because they can be super violent. A lot of people love style over substance in horror films and that's exactly what all of his films are. "Hey, Rob Zombie here, want a ton of gore? and booooobbsss? Then catch my new movie! What I won't tell you is that it's all shit you've seen before with terrible dialogue and no original ideas, but but but gore and boobs!" If you find them as fun romps then that is perfectly fine, but the people saying that he is any sort of credible director is out of their damn minds. The guy steals everything and puts his non-talented wife in everything. You know he steals the shit because he loves horror films. He has seen each one of his own movies before he even makes them. It's very hard to respect anyone like that.

If it were ANY other director making House of 1000 Corpses or 31, people would shit on that person claiming they stole the ideas. Just because it's Rob Zombie, he gets a pass. It's bullshit. He has done nothing for the genre besides getting kids into horror and taking 70s, 80s and 90s horror actors and putting them into his films, which is awesome. He takes original concepts and releases them again so people think all of his films are original.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by DMHead777; 02-01-2018 at 11:35 AM.

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    1 Day Ago

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 265
    Given: 101
    Do you actually want one or would you just like to ignore it and continue ranting? I can tell you why I liked most of his movies (they're for different reasons in each one) and I can also tell you what I think he brings to the genre as a whole. But if you don't want to have an actual discussion I won't bother.
    Pretty much where I'm at with it as well. It's one thing to have a conversation with someone who has an open mind, who will say "I disagree, but I respect your opinion and see where you're coming from." But I don't see a lot of that going on in this thread, so where's the upside in continuing with the conversation? I've said my piece; I've read others' thoughts. I'm not going to change a blind hater's mind, and there is zero chance a blind hater is going to change mine. I've already got one dick-head troll sending me PMs trying to pick a fight over this, to which all I can say is it's a waste of time trying to talk reason to the unreasonable.

Call me STRT or Street
    god you say YES

Status
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

You've got some valid points there DM, at least you bothered to give your opinions in a straight-forward way. I'll give my thoughts as you at least seem interested in a dialog.

House of 1k:
    This is a movie that's actually grown on me. When it was first released in theaters there was sooo much hype about how scary and gory it was that my expectations were over blown. Since then on repeat viewings I like it more and more. Is it a TCM remake/homage? Absolutely, just like the dozens of other killer hillbilly movies out there. But I'd argue this is one of the best. The characters are fantastic. Sid Haig and Bill Mosely steal the show and the atmosphere that RZ creates really fits the movie well. It's not all positive, I didn't really like the 3rd act with the Dr. Satan stuff as it felt too detached from the rest of the movie.

What did RZ add to the genre?
    High profile gritty horror was all but gone from horror in 2003. We were still recovering from the clean sparkling 90s slasher days of Scream and IKWYDLS and all the sequels/imitators. It was almost refreshing to have a horror movie that felt different , that felt dirty and sweaty. Also Zombie revitalized and cemented character actors like Sid Haig, Bill Mosely, and Karen Black into some of their most famous roles.

I'll go into Devil's Rejects when I have more time.

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    12-03-2018

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 27
    What did RZ add to the genre?
    High profile gritty horror was all but gone from horror in 2003. We were still recovering from the clean sparkling 90s slasher days of Scream and IKWYDLS and all the sequels/imitators. It was almost refreshing to have a horror movie that felt different , that felt dirty and sweaty. Also Zombie revitalized and cemented character actors like Sid Haig, Bill Mosely, and Karen Black into some of their most famous roles.
    Wasnt this era the era of imports and rise of torture porn and gore?
    High Tension
    Ringu/Ring
    Dog Soldiers
    28 days
    Cabin Fever
    Texas remake

Im looking at lists of horror movies made between 1999-2004 and each year has tons of "high profile, gritty horror.............that felt dirty and sweaty". Granted yes, a current trend was also the Last Summer/FD/Scream type movies, the torture/gritty trend also seemed to be there and most of the movies im looking at would be recognized by any moderate horror fan.
    If anything it really just shows he was following recent trends, although i think it is safe to say this "style" would be expected of him.... but as mentioned before, i think that has more to do with his lack of creativity, his inexperience in writing and film making, and his complete copying of other movies. Even if we are to give him this credit for bringing back "gritty dirty horror" that i think we've well established was not gone at all...... the movie was Texas fan fiction at best, copying more elements from Texas than not. More realistically we should call it a re-imagining of Texas.

I can get why people view 1000 with enjoyment or like because its a horror fan safe zone....its the retelling of Texas.... its what the force awakens was for SW fans... The Texas Awakens. Which like the movie or not, no one cares, but lets not pretend that it did something it didnt.
    It followed trends that we could even anticipate Zombie would latch on to and it was a copy of Texas. Even in the casting you mentioned we see this complete lack of anything new or creative. Sid and Bill played the exact same character they always played. If he had to cast these guys, have them be random cops we see one time and thats it.... this is homage, this is saying "i recognize what this is, but im not going as far as to copy every aspect". He's just such a hack and i cannot see a single thing he added to horror... even if you wanted to ascribe him with the least possible thing we could and say maybe he rejuvenated Texas copy cat movies, we could just as easily dismiss it because the Texas remake was more well known, released around the same time and did the same thing.

And before you speak on Rejects i urge you to consider this.
    In my first post i said that all he did was find one, two, maybe three movies to watch over and over and then wrote his script based on those movies. IMO its pretty clear he does this with every single movie hes ever done.... but i urge you to consider what i think he did with Rejects and that was watched Texas and those late 90s independent movies that came after Pulp Fiction. I would bet money that he was watching Texas and then Truth or Consequence NM before he wrote that script.

Id also like to point out that we can never nail down a directing or writing style with him. I think with most directors and writers you can look at their early work and get a good idea of their ceiling, what could come of this director, and with RZ, at least myself, i never see it. He changes elements so fundamentally movie to movie that its next to impossible to gain anything from him as a director or storyteller.... He's Hot Topics Roger Corman........ BAM! Im genius! Quote of the thread: "Rob Zombie is Hot Topic's Roger Corman".

Last edited by El Ahrairah; 02-01-2018 at 06:37 PM.

Call me STRT or Street
    god you say YES

Status
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by El Ahrairah View Post
    Wasnt this era the era of imports and rise of torture porn and gore?
    High Tension
    Ringu/Ring
    Dog Soldiers
    28 days
    Cabin Fever
    Texas remake

Im looking at lists of horror movies made between 1999-2004 and each year has tons of "high profile, gritty horror.............that felt dirty and sweaty". Granted yes, a current trend was also the Last Summer/FD/Scream type movies, the torture/gritty trend also seemed to be there and most of the movies im looking at would be recognized by any moderate horror fan.
    If anything it really just shows he was following recent trends, although i think it is safe to say this "style" would be expected of him.... but as mentioned before, i think that has more to do with his lack of creativity, his inexperience in writing and film making, and his complete copying of other movies. Even if we are to give him this credit for bringing back "gritty dirty horror" that i think we've well established was not gone at all...... the movie was Texas fan fiction at best, copying more elements from Texas than not. More realistically we should call it a re-imagining of Texas.

I can get why people view 1000 with enjoyment or like because its a horror fan safe zone....its the retelling of Texas.... its what the force awakens was for SW fans... The Texas Awakens. Which like the movie or not, no one cares, but lets not pretend that it did something it didnt.
    It followed trends that we could even anticipate Zombie would latch on to and it was a copy of Texas. Even in the casting you mentioned we see this complete lack of anything new or creative. Sid and Bill played the exact same character they always played. If he had to cast these guys, have them be random cops we see one time and thats it.... this is homage, this is saying "i recognize what this is, but im not going as far as to copy every aspect". He's just such a hack and i cannot see a single thing he added to horror... even if you wanted to ascribe him with the least possible thing we could and say maybe he rejuvenated Texas copy cat movies, we could just as easily dismiss it because the Texas remake was more well known, released around the same time and did the same thing.

And before you speak on Rejects i urge you to consider this.
    In my first post i said that all he did was find one, two, maybe three movies to watch over and over and then wrote his script based on those movies. IMO its pretty clear he does this with every single movie hes ever done.... but i urge you to consider what i think he did with Rejects and that was watched Texas and those late 90s independent movies that came after Pulp Fiction. I would bet money that he was watching Texas and then Truth or Consequence NM before he wrote that script.

Id also like to point out that we can never nail down a directing or writing style with him. I think with most directors and writers you can look at their early work and get a good idea of their ceiling, what could come of this director, and with RZ, at least myself, i never see it. He changes elements so fundamentally movie to movie that its next to impossible to gain anything from him as a director or storyteller.... He's Hot Topics Roger Corman........ BAM! Im genius! Quote of the thread: "Rob Zombie is Hot Topic's Roger Corman".
    With the possible exception of High Tension, none of the movies you listed even come close to the tone of 1kcorpses. Even the Texas remake (which I like a lot) maintains the pristine sharp glossy aesthetic done in the 90s and early 2000s. House looks and feels more like a 70s movie.

When did Sid Haig play a character anything like Spaulding? Coffee, Foxy Brown, Spider Baby, Galaxy of Terror? Serious question because I'd like to watch this movie.

Also, you say that RZ had a style that would be expected of him then go on to say he has no discernable style...which is it? I'll go into his style and techniques more as I get to the other movies.

Try not to hurt your arm patting yourself on you back. Corman is a bad analogy. He's known for cranking out tons of movies at a low cost and adequate quality. He's also more of a producer and works with/teaches filmmakers. Zombie doesn't really relate.

From now on I'll give a number rating for the films as I don't want anyone to misconstrue how much I like a movie despite saying I enjoyed it that can be anywhere from a 6 - 10/10

House of 1000 Corpses - 7/10

Last edited by strtfghtr; 02-02-2018 at 08:11 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast