Last Online
    12-03-2018

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 27

Lets Talk About This Director......

I recently re-watched POD, a fantastic little alien horror move, a throwback to the old 'Nam movies. Realastically, IMO its one of the best horror movies of the past ten, maybe even twenty years.

So i decided to look into the writer/directors past and see what other movies he has done and it dawned on me that this guy could easily be on the path to a horror writer/director legend. Potentially end his career with the same legacy say, Wes or Carpenter or Clive.
    The man's name is Mickey Keating, he just turned 26 years old and already he has written and directed the following:
    Carnage Park
    Darling
    Pod
    Ritual

If you watch these movies you will have a grasp of what he is capable of. He has a great understanding of horror as a whole and subgenera's of horror. He is great with writing, great with characters (none of the characters in any of these movies are the same), he understands tension and how to build it, he understands how to do scares without being cheap, he makes timeless movies (where they could be set in any era), etc. Its so impressive to see such a young talent with such a great understanding of cinema, but specifically horror, seems to have a love for it, and is just sooooo young. I will quickly highlight his movies as i know many of you have seen them, and i will give my personal grades for them.

Ritual 6/10
    After receiving a distressed phone call, a man arrives at a seedy highway motel to find that his estranged wife has killed a stranger who is connected to a dangerous cult.
    Ritual was his first full length movie. Its not a fantastic movie but you can definitely see a firm understanding of horror and movie making with it. Its definitely worth a watch, especially if you are interested in him as a director or if you appreciate throw-back satanic cult movies. BTW, he started this movie when he was 21.

POD 8/10
    A family intervention goes horrifically awry within the snowy confines of an isolated lake house.
    Pod was the second movie he made. Some people love it, some people hate it, personally i think its near a masterpiece. I easily give it an 8 of 10.
    Once again we see this young director doing a throw back to the old Vietnam soldier comes back, see's demons, had experiments done them, etc. movies. Its also best described as an XFiles fan fiction, something set in the same universe with the same tone.
    What stands out the most about this movie is his ability to build characters and relationships in very believable ways, build story and create tension and i personally cannot say enough about it.

Darling 8/10
    A lonely girl's violent descent into madness.
    Darling was his dive into the Psycho type movie, another throw back to old psychological thrillers. Where he really detailed and expanded on a persons psychology, not an easy thing to successfully do. He also managed to prove he could do artsy movies with this addition to his library. He does an amazing job with character development and getting the actress to really dive into the character she is playing... just an amazing performance all around.
    I had to watch it twice, the first time i saw it i gave it a 6 or 7 out of 10, the second time i understood a lot more and it really all came together and i have no problems giving it another 8 of 10.

Carnage Park 8/10
    After botching an ill-conceived bank robbery in a desolate California town, two wannabe crooks flee the scene with a hostage and lead the local lawmen on a dangerous high-speed chase.
    With his latest movie he stepped into the wonderful scenery of the south west and did a Texas/survival style movie.
    Where he once again shows us how well he understands what makes these movies great, how well he writes and directs characters and his range of writing and directing characters. How well he builds on a story without being too predictable yet comforting and once again we see a timeless movie, a movie that could take place in 2010 or 1970. Last reminder, he did this at age 25.

He has one more movie coming out this year called Psychopaths . I have no idea what it is about, i can guess but i might be wrong. But i am excited and i can wait to see him diving back into psychological thrillers and to see if hes perfecting his art even more.

I dont know... you guys tell me. Am i gushing over this guy too much or is this really someone we need to really start paying more attention to?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Deadbeat posting at dawn
    病気の

Status
    Last Online
    8 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Add woodenheart on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 360
    Given: 167
    I did the same thing you did after watching POD..

I went and watched all his films. Mickey Keating is amazing! I'm already keeping an eye on Psychopaths' FB page.

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    12-03-2018

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 27
    Quote Originally Posted by woodenheart View Post
    I did the same thing you did after watching POD..

I went and watched all his films. Mickey Keating is amazing! I'm already keeping an eye on Psychopaths' FB page.

I didn't decide to look into him as a writer/director until last night. Which was the second (actually third i think) time i saw Pod. Since the first time i saw Pod though, i had seen all of these movies and was really impressed with all of them. With the most recent being Carnage Park, a movie i fell in love with when i saw it.
    But when i looked him up and saw that these were his movies, written AND directed by... i was stunned and was curious why no one talks about this guy. So young, with 4 movies, 3 of them at least 7.5 or better, all horror and seems to have a great understanding and love of horror, and no one is talking about him.

UHM Emissary
    Long live the new flesh

Status
    Last Online
    01-19-2024

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 276
    Given: 706
    Really enjoyed POD and Darling . Will have to look into the others.

* First time watch
    365 Days of Horror 2020-2021 https://boxd.it/97ywm

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow FrighT MasteR On Twitter Add FrighT MasteR on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 879
    Given: 134
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID frightie Steam ID frightie
    Didn't care for POD, but Carnage Park looks interesting

Child of the Grave
    The Duke of NY...A#1

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 310
    Given: 94
    Gonna check him out soon.

"Wake up sucker, we're thieves and we're bad guys. That's exactly what we are."

Deadbeat posting at dawn
    病気の

Status
    Last Online
    8 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Add woodenheart on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 360
    Given: 167
    Shared this thread on my FB. I have a Friend request sent to Mickey but there is no movement on his FB since March of this year, probally busy movie making.

I agree on your ratings of each film.

Some of the scenes in Carnage Park are creepy as fuck.

Zombiefied Zealot
    The Ancient One

Status
    Last Online
    11-18-2023

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 286
    Given: 328
    Think I've seen Pod, and really didn't care for it, or possibly I just saw the trailer at some point and decided to give it a pass. I will be catching these films when I can

Like, so many people out there were trying to track this down. And it just...got delivered on a tweet. What the hell.

"The individual's rights will be protected only so long as they don't conflict with the state."

“Watch your thoughts, they become words;
    watch your words, they become actions;
    watch your actions, they become habits;
    watch your habits, they become character;
    watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    15 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow Macready On Twitter Add Macready on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 547
    Given: 210
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    I only seen POD, didn't enjoy it in the least. Might try and watch one of his others if I ever get as bored as I was while watching POD and there is absolutely nothing else to do.

The tranquility of night hides many malevolent things taking place under a stunning, mysterious sky pocked with precious gems of light. -GP

Published writer in Fantastic Horror, Volumes 1,2, and 5. Currently working on my first two novels!

+ Reply to Thread