Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 276
    Given: 706

Blood, Guts, and Social Commentary

So I started a YouTube channel where I try to analyze different trends that are going on in horror. The first episode is about technology's influence on horror.

Any feedback is appreciated. I know my delivery needs work and that weird paper sound is actually our cats.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Primetimeloser; 10-27-2016 at 08:16 PM.
    * First time watch
    365 Days of Horror 2020-2021 https://boxd.it/97ywm

Psycho Killer
    Lurking in the Dark

Status
    Last Online
    3 Days Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow Toby On Twitter Add Toby on Facebook
    Visit Toby's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 458
    You should talk about the video game "Harvester", it's a game that says everything your title says.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

"It's a Freak Show! A Freak Show! See the strange and bizarre! Step right up, we'd love to see you! We think YOU can be the STAR! Hahahaha! Oooh! Hahahahaha! Ooohh! Hahahaha!"-Umlaut (CarnEvil)
    GORY PUMPKIN WEBSITE

"Ignorance must die if creation is to survive.."-Dillon Mason (Hacksaw: Documentary of a Psycho Killer)

UHM Emissary
    Long live the new flesh

Status
    Last Online
    01-19-2024

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Thumbs Up
    Not a gamer but I'll sweet talk my husband in to letting me watch him play. Thanks for the heads up.

* First time watch

UHM Emissary
    Long live the new flesh

Status
    Last Online
    01-19-2024

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Thumbs Up
    I also wrote a 6 blog series on gender equality in horror that just launched today. https://3hattergrindhouse.com/2016/1...ity-in-horror/

A HUGE thank you to all the UHMers that helped look over this and refine it. You guys are the best.

* First time watch

Zombiefied Zealot
    The Ancient One

Status
    Last Online
    11-18-2023

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 286
    Given: 328
    Gender equality in horror?? Asking a bit much aren't we? I can say I'm all against it

Leave it to me to start trouble

Like, so many people out there were trying to track this down. And it just...got delivered on a tweet. What the hell.

"The individual's rights will be protected only so long as they don't conflict with the state."

“Watch your thoughts, they become words;
    watch your words, they become actions;
    watch your actions, they become habits;
    watch your habits, they become character;
    watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”

UHM Emissary
    Long live the new flesh

Status
    Last Online
    01-19-2024

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Thumbs Up
    Always I don't want to spoil the end by giving my conclusion here.

Last edited by Primetimeloser; 10-28-2016 at 10:33 PM.
    * First time watch

UHM Emissary
    Long live the new flesh

Status
    Last Online
    01-19-2024

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Thumbs Up
    Episode 2 about new and old school horror marketing blending together:

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    * First time watch

UHM Emissary
    Long live the new flesh

Status
    Last Online
    01-19-2024

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Thumbs Up
    Latest video

* First time watch

UHM Emissary
    Long live the new flesh

Status
    Last Online
    01-19-2024

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Thumbs Up
    Ever wonder why found footage is so freaking popular? Well maybe I explain that....but probably not....but maybe

* First time watch

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow FrighT MasteR On Twitter Add FrighT MasteR on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 879
    Given: 134
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID frightie Steam ID frightie

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    12-03-2018

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 27
    One aspect of found footage that i find people dont tend to bring up... i think its because they dont want to give FF any kind of quality film making credit... but found footage does something that has been virtually lost in film making today, but is one of Hitchcock's golden rules for successful suspense/thriller/horror. And that is they can build tension and suspense through the viewers own creativity and allowing the viewers imagination to do the work for the movie by not showing the monster or ghost or demon or whatever, that often or not until the very end.

For the vast majority of movies, this is most likely a byproduct of FF being made by first time directors and with low budgets, but it still happens and it happens in the higher production movies as well.

UHM Emissary
    Long live the new flesh

Status
    Last Online
    01-19-2024

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by bravenewworld1 View Post
    One aspect of found footage that i find people dont tend to bring up... i think its because they dont want to give FF any kind of quality film making credit... but found footage does something that has been virtually lost in film making today, but is one of Hitchcock's golden rules for successful suspense/thriller/horror. And that is they can build tension and suspense through the viewers own creativity and allowing the viewers imagination to do the work for the movie by not showing the monster or ghost or demon or whatever, that often or not until the very end.

For the vast majority of movies, this is most likely a byproduct of FF being made by first time directors and with low budgets, but it still happens and it happens in the higher production movies as well.
    That is a good point. I go with how found footage booms seem to be shaped by whatever perspective the newest home video tech provides. Since every time something becomes affordable and prevalent ex. camcorders, GoPros, etc. a new crop of filmmakers get their start trying to make their own horror films.

Anyway, here's this weeks video:

* First time watch

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    12-03-2018

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Episode 6 i could not disagree with more.
    Rape along with death and torture is a fundamental part of human fears and is not something that should be left off the table simply because for every one well written and produced movie we see, there are 300 that are complete shit. Which goes for any topic, genera, twist or anything. The reality is most movies are copy cats and that wont stop anytime soon.

In fact i might suggest the opposite. I think it needs to be embraced and allowed in better detail in movies. Maybe even "normalized".
    I dont know if that is the correct way of saying it, but.... uhhh.... so, when i got in to foreign movies, mostly Asian and Italian. I started noticing that on topics like rape or child abuse, they have a much more realistic and acceptable to the buying into the story, view. They tend to create far more dimensional characters and people, people you see and know in real life, unlike one of your examples Bound for Vengeance (which i found hilariously bad). At the end of the day this realism stays with you more, the character stays with you more, the events stay with you more and while being less hyperbolic and dramatic, it ends up being more effective.

Ive spent years attempting to figure these things out and i have no idea if its accurate or not, but i think this is because there is simply a level of reality that they are willing to accept, that Hollywood and Americans/American movies in general, attempts to pretend does not exist or attempts to sugar coat because the reality of situation did not bode well with test audiences.

I think at the end of the day your premise, your issue, is more with lazy and shit writing and production than rape in movies. As i said before, for every one original, quality, well made movie, youll have 300 that attempt to copy it. Which is not going to stop anytime soon and anyone who appriciates movies has a problem with it, but whatever.

P.S. Forgive the poorly structured and worded post. I am very tired but for some reason cannot sleep.

Last edited by El Ahrairah; 12-03-2016 at 11:31 AM.

UHM Emissary
    Long live the new flesh

Status
    Last Online
    01-19-2024

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Thumbs Up
    Episode 6 i could not disagree with more.
    Rape along with death and torture is a fundamental part of human fears and is not something that should be left off the table simply because for every one well written and produced movie we see, there are 300 that are complete shit. Which goes for any topic, genera, twist or anything. The reality is most movies are copy cats and that wont stop anytime soon.

In fact i might suggest the opposite. I think it needs to be embraced and allowed in better detail in movies. Maybe even "normalized".
    I dont know if that is the correct way of saying it, but.... uhhh.... so, when i got in to foreign movies, mostly Asian and Italian. I started noticing that on topics like rape or child abuse, they have a much more realistic and acceptable to the buying into the story, view. They tend to create far more dimensional characters and people, people you see and know in real life, unlike one of your examples Bound for Vengeance (which i found hilariously bad). At the end of the day this realism stays with you more, the character stays with you more, the events stay with you more and while being less hyperbolic and dramatic, it ends up being more effective.

Ive spent years attempting to figure these things out and i have no idea if its accurate or not, but i think this is because there is simply a level of reality that they are willing to accept, that Hollywood and Americans/American movies in general, attempts to pretend does not exist or attempts to sugar coat because the reality of situation did not bode well with test audiences.

I think at the end of the day your premise, your issue, is more with lazy and shit writing and production than rape in movies. As i said before, for every one original, quality, well made movie, youll have 300 that attempt to copy it. Which is not going to stop anytime soon and anyone who appriciates movies has a problem with it, but whatever.

P.S. Forgive the poorly structured and worded post. I am very tired but for some reason cannot sleep.
    I have always liked the way Asia makes things much more realistic and brutal but this was more about American horror. You're right I do hate lazying writing but my beef is also with the sugar coating of rape. I love cheesy and shitty movies so my tolerance for bad writing is pretty high but when treat it like a bad guy getting shot in a bad action film (bang, fall over, and MAYBE a dot of blood) it takes the impact away from the act. If we treated it the way Asia does even in shitty movies I'd have much less of an issue.

P.S. Been there and it sucks. Hope you get some sleep soon. I think I understood your intent

* First time watch

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    12-03-2018

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Meh, still no sleep (til.. dundun... dun ddddunnnnnn...Brooklyn.... dundun...). But thanks to some high quality drugs i have an artificial third or fourth..... maybe fifth wind, i lost track of my winds.

The last post i made, made me think of a topic you could do for a video. It would probably have to be much longer than the one's you have done and a lot of research would be involved. But i would be interested in a video about the religious and/or belief structures and how they influence ghost/demon/possession movies across the world.

Last edited by El Ahrairah; 12-03-2016 at 05:57 PM.

Call me STRT or Street
    If someone asks if you are a
    god you say YES

Status
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Follow strtfghtr On Twitter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 727
    Given: 363
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID EataFat1 Steam ID strtfghtr Wii Code something...
    Holy shit I'd love a religious influence video.
    I've been quiet in this thread but I've been a big fan of your videos prime. Great stuff and keep them coming.

All You Need is Blood - The Official UHM Horror Podcast

https://soundcloud.com/allyouneedisblood

Child of the Grave
    The Duke of NY...A#1

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 310
    Given: 94
    Nicely done Prime

"Wake up sucker, we're thieves and we're bad guys. That's exactly what we are."

UHM Emissary
    Long live the new flesh

Status
    Last Online
    01-19-2024

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Thumbs Up
    Meh, still no sleep (til.. dundun... dun ddddunnnnnn...Brooklyn.... dundun...). But thanks to some high quality drugs i have an artificial third or fourth..... maybe fifth wind, i lost track of my winds.

The last post i made, made me think of a topic you could do for a video. It would probably have to be much longer than the one's you have done and a lot of research would be involved. But i would be interested in a video about the religious and/or belief structures and how they influence ghost/demon/possession movies across the world.
    Lol that's one of our cats favorite song. Shitty about not sleeping but I totally get the drugs. I'm on a pretty heavy daily cocktail just to remain baseline functional.

That is an awesome idea! Right now I'm finishing up a timeline of controversial art (movies, books, music, etc.) and a database of horror posters from 1912-2016 which will be around 3000 posters. While neither will be even remotely complete I have all the time in the world to research.

Thank you for your thoughts by the way. I am always scared people won't tell me they disagree but the only way these videos will get better. Thank you for taking the time out to not only watch these but to give your thoughts as well.

* First time watch

UHM Emissary
    Long live the new flesh

Status
    Last Online
    01-19-2024

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by strtfghtr View Post
    Holy shit I'd love a religious influence video.
    I've been quiet in this thread but I've been a big fan of your videos prime. Great stuff and keep them coming.
    Thank you! I love your guys podcasts and haven't been giving enough feedback. Please keep them coming, I love everyones point of view on these.

Quote Originally Posted by koolmike View Post
    Nicely done Prime
    Thank you Mike

* First time watch

UHM Emissary
    Long live the new flesh

Status
    Last Online
    01-19-2024

Member #