Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 262
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID ScaryGames101

Unhappy

OK. This is my last bump.

I got this message once on Facebook. This is a message from 2016 (in case you think it's only from a few days ago). The year isn't included on Facebook messages for some reason. Maybe that changes the following year or whatever, if you keep a hold of them, but I retained this message through copying and pasting it. Every now and again, I like to torture myself by re-reading his honest advice, but I don't think I have a chance - being truthful.

Let me know what you think of this person's message. I think he is one hundred and ten percent correct about a lot of things. Although stage acting I suppose isn't as exciting as being in the movies, but he has been there. So he ought to know how the industry operates. However, I think he, A, gave up on acting (he works as a lecturer now) and B, he more than likely didn't fully appreciate me contacting him with stories about my issues. Was that last line a subtle hint for me to piss off, or was he just being nice? Be sure to let me know what you think of my videos as well when you have the time.

Guy Evans Actor 2 March 14:36
    hi peter.

really sorry to read about the hassle you've received. i can't really help much from this distance and i'm not a professional counsellor or expert on autism, or anti-trolling.

the online world is a nest of vipers as you no doubt are aware, full of sad people who enjoy wasting their time making other people miserable. stephen fry's exit from twitter is a good example of how even someone who is universally loved even gets abuse. trolls love nothing more than picking on vulnerable people. therefore can i suggest that you reduce your online activities to only essentials, such as emails and official contacts, temporarily at least? trolls will get bored of looking for you and move onto their next victim. new pseudonyms don't help as IP addresses etc can be cross-referenced and you real identity found out. regarding ex-support workers giving you hassle, report them to local authorities for whom they worked, if you can, though i understand if you feel this not a good idea.

just so you know, I also suffer from mental illness - anxiety and depression - though not autism, so agoraphobic tendencies have been part of it from time to time. so please seek professional help, not from social services but from the medical profession. counselling is a good start. there are many NHS based free to use mental health support services across the UK so im sure there's some in edinburgh. mental illness is treatable even if there is another different underlying issue, in you case autism, there too. too often social services treat people like 'problems to be managed' not people, and 'autism' is a catch-all term which can be used to dismiss a person's specific and sometime unrelated behaviour which need specific treatment. so, find a good counselling service. MIND is a good start as they'll know who can help.

re acting - it's a harsh world out there for people trying to make it and having an online profile on Star Now isn't the way to go about it if you are getting trolled already. Star Now isn't really very good tbh and attracts lots of shallow types both as actors and producers. instead if you'd like to do some acting try a local amateur dramatic society. Im sure there are several in edinburgh. try getting small roles, at first, so you can be a part of something without having to prove you're brilliant, then if you like it and do well you can audition for larger roles. or just ask to help with the production backstage. all hands are generally welcome as there's always lots to do.

doing a play is far more fun tbh than doing short films and extra work and the social side of things might be a help to you; they are to me when i'm down. plays are language-based and even small roles tend to have lines to say and so for me they've helped me come out of myself when i'm depressed as i HAVE to speak out loud even if i don't want to! lol. in all theatre a much more friendly environment and full of people who want to act. most, if not all actors, are lonely, shy, somewhat unusual and have difficulty fitting into society. so you might find an amateur dramatic society has a more welcoming atmosphere than film, and certainly than online. am dram also tends to attract people who like you are feeling lonely, and have found other social avenues too problematic for whatever reason. it is a bit of a haven for misfits, and lots of older people who are usually more sympathetic to people with difficulties - lots of retired teachers for example - and are also not online as much. stage acting is different but can be hugely rewarding on all levels, artistically, emotionally, socially, spiritually. film is a lonely world even if you're doing well in it. very few short films have many actors in them so often you're on your own surrounded by technical crew

back to trolls and the internet... try and online life alone for a while and see if you can find 'real' things to do, rather than online things. go for a walk and have a cup of tea at a nice cafe, go to an art gallery, the cinema. doing things and activity is great balm for a troubled mind.

I hope that helps. I'm going to close down my actor page next week as my new agent says it's bit dodgy having a 'professional acting' facebook page for non-friends as i too might get unwanted attention from people.

Guy Evans

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4914520/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Ex-Deputy So & So; 03-07-2018 at 05:10 AM. Reason: I am adding some videos from YouTube.

UHM Emissary
    Long live the new flesh

Status
    Last Online
    01-19-2024

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 276
    Given: 706
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Deputy So & So View Post
    although I have to question just why he uploaded it if he didn't want people to see it on a public YouTube link.
    That is their call to make, not yours. A lot of filmmakers use YouTube as an additional revenue stream to help fund other projects/recoup expenses. You are stealing views from their uploaded video and views = money. So yes you are stealing from them and they are understandably upset. Even if they aren't making money on youtube you have stolen their work and put it out there without permission. It doesn't matter how many DVDs you have theft is theft.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    * First time watch
    365 Days of Horror 2020-2021 https://boxd.it/97ywm

Obluda
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    5 Days Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Sad
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 239
    Some of your headshots actually don't look all that bad.

But yeah, again, you really need to stop making those big mistakes. Reach out the proper way, and don't meddle in the business of the folks running the show. Not saying to give this whole thing up, but maybe if you move, you can sorta start over.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID ScaryGames101

Smile

Ta about the headshots. An actor in Outlander took them for me last week. He's Ryan Ralph Gerrard (appears in season 3).

My sister has been an extra a few times as well. She was in a short film with me last year in a scene where we were in a tunnel. You only see us for a second. She helped me with my friend and I's series, by doing a cameo, and she was in the feature film about a Chinese student. She also helped out with the sound in one scene too.

Don't forget...Sylvester Stallone struggled too!

Fresh Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    03-10-2018

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0
    Mate, from everything you've been posting and what others here are saying, the issue isn't filmmakers being two faced or vipers or whatever, the issue is that you are the one turning them all against you.

You said yourself that you've had No Contact Orders from the courts about sending abuse to people, and from what you're saying you keep doing it. Now from what I know about any sort of community like indie filmmakers, they all know each other and talk to each other, so if you're out there sending tons of abuse to folks for not giving you a part they're going to tell their mates who will tell their mates. So from there it's not a case where folk don't wanna bring you onto their film set because of discrimination or that, they don't want you on their film set because you're known to be very abusive. On a film set you might have young girls, children and vulnerable people, so the filmmakers have to make sure they are kept safe and happy, you really think they want to allow someone who is known to have been arrested for harrassment around them?

If you want to make a career as an actor you have to be nice to people! it's like the number one rule for any job! So like a bunch of other folks have said here, stop talking shit about folk, stop sending them abuse and stop doing things to their films or with their films without their permission!

Yeah Sylvester Stallone struggled too, but not because he was sending abuse to people.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID ScaryGames101

Question

Um, not to act like I'm disregarding anything you guys are saying and all, but did that last poster just register today to reply to this? Also, did you watch the videos I linked on here above? If you didn't see them before, well, why not do so and let me finally know what you think of them?

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    12-03-2018

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 27
    Quote Originally Posted by Primetimeloser View Post
    That is their call to make, not yours. A lot of filmmakers use YouTube as an additional revenue stream to help fund other projects/recoup expenses. You are stealing views from their uploaded video and views = money. So yes you are stealing from them and they are understandably upset. Even if they aren't making money on youtube you have stolen their work and put it out there without permission. It doesn't matter how many DVDs you have theft is theft.

I just want to go over this a bit because its a very deep and confusing topic and as someone who was part of the music industry collapse in the early 2000s (who very much relies on royalty checks from stuff i did ten to fifteen years ago), i can safely say that the attitude of "Even if they aren't making money on youtube you have stolen their work and put it out there without permission.", is not a good way to handle the situation.

I will start by saying this, the thing that saved the music industry was the independent artists ability to make more money than the major labels, on the internet, and the cycle with movies, seems to be exactly the same as we have seen a very similar result with movies.

There are a few trends we've seen with music and movies when it comes to digital material and distribution.
    Major companies will take a bit of a loss, its definitely not as bad as they like to say it is, but it is a loss.

Small, independent companies, sky rocket in sales and profits.

As a whole internet piracy only seems to do damage when companies refuse to adapt (music industry, hollywood) and we've seen also seen a fan push back when companies over-police their work.

There are also fluctuating legal issues of backup and availability of backup and what transformative work really is.

IMO if you're not making money off it, it should be fine and we've seen small and independent companies who take this approach, seem to do better than one's who don't, because the idea is to get your work out there and known. This not only seems to be the most profitable but the best direction to go.

Oh, and as for youtube, no one except corporations and the most popular of the popular are making money on youtube anymore. That ship has sailed.

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID ScaryGames101

Lightbulb

Guys - it would be nice to get some feedback on the videos I've posted in this thread.

That's a happier topic to discuss, instead of us playing the blame game.

Hint, hint.

UHM Emissary
    Long live the new flesh

Status
    Last Online
    01-19-2024

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by El Ahrairah View Post
    IMO if you're not making money off it, it should be fine and we've seen small and independent companies who take this approach, seem to do better than one's who don't, because the idea is to get your work out there and known. This not only seems to be the most profitable but the best direction to go.

Oh, and as for youtube, no one except corporations and the most popular of the popular are making money on youtube anymore. That ship has sailed.
    Again that is THEIR call to make with THEIR work not yours.
    Also I know plenty of small channels that make money.

* First time watch

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    12-03-2018

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 27
    Quote Originally Posted by Primetimeloser View Post
    Again that is THEIR call to make with THEIR work not yours.
    Also I know plenty of small channels that make money.
    Except the nature of the internet kind of says otherwise yes?
    Its kind of why the current measuring stick is "transformative work" Which we've seen argued as everything from written commentary outside of the video, to a green dot in the video, to blah blah blah.
    These are ever moving pieces and definitions and because of the nature of the internet, it seems like the individual has the least say in what is what.

Now im not really disagreeing with you on this, just saying that the internet is a complex place that is constantly shifting and one needs to prepare themselves for it.

As for youtube, i was referencing youtube ads, not individual sponsorship and what not.

Last edited by El Ahrairah; 03-05-2018 at 06:06 PM.

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID ScaryGames101

Unhappy

OK; I have a history and I run my mouth too much. I'll admit that I have a bad reputation and a short temper, which lands me in hot water. But I wasn't lying when I said those support workers abused me. Just as it is irresponsible for a client to mistreat a support worker who is there doing their duty, a support worker shouldn't be going on Gumtree or signing up external email accounts to send abusive messages to clients with an alias. The fact is, the abuse from that guy went on for 2 years because my original key worker told him I was obsessed with finding my ex, who I hadn't seen in many years. Even if he didn't think the way I was obsessing over her was at all healthy, nothing justifies a caregiver breaching the rules like that. It's still abusive and had he been caught, he would have been sacked on the spot.

The later situations with the women partly came about because I linked a local a-hole that used the same autism service, to forums with negative looking threads while we had a chat on Facebook (we were arguing about a girl). So he likely told my key worker to avoid me, no doubt, and he was seen around at my accommodation (although I don't know why he went to the staff flat, because he wasn't a resident). Not long after that, my key worker was acting different. It also didn't help that I openly admitted to liking my key worker right after losing another woman for support, while feeling low about my ex-girlfriend, who was manipulating me and she conned me into getting a games console that she had no intention of paying jointly with me. Other staff members just blabbed. In my defence though, nobody should be going around broadcasting stories about me on the Internet. I'm not sure what the law is concerning people who start gossip. That's probably not illegal. A major downside to having someone doing that is that it promotes blackballing. It's the same thing as a smear campaign, in a way. Something to the effect: Oh, don't talk to that Anderson guy or let him be in your film. He's a loony and he also has a history of being a tool. Why should they take Nicolette's word for it anyway? What if I was to go around telling people not to cast such and such in anything? It wouldn't be very nice at all if the person I was slagging off found out about what I'd been saying behind the scenes and he or she got a taste of their own medicine as a result of me saying things on Facebook groups, forums, or whatever it is.

I'm not expecting any feedback on my videos now, by the way, because you don't talk about them. You guys have awfully short attention spans. Or, maybe you are just not interested, or something.

Fresh Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    03-10-2018

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0
    You say you don't want to play the blame game yet that's all you do, you're blaming other people for your behaviour.

A few of us have already pointed out to you the reason why people don't want you on their films, because you keep trying to spread shit about others and when you get turned down you get very angry and start sending people abuse.

You keep blaming this Nicolette person but have you actually stopped to think that she has actually done nothing at all, and it's the other people you're sending abuse to?

Like I said people in communities talk to each other, they tell each other if they have a bad experience with someone, and from the sounds of it you are the one giving yourself a bad reputation by posting peoples films without their permission, changing their IMDb pages without their permission and sending angry messages to them when they get upset.

I'm trying to help you but you need to stop and realise that you are the one making people not want to work with you by getting angry, talking shit about them and sending them abuse.

Again, if you want to work in films, you have to be nice to people.

UHM Emissary
    Long live the new flesh

Status
    Last Online
    01-19-2024

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by El Ahrairah View Post
    Except the nature of the internet kind of says otherwise yes?
    Its kind of why the current measuring stick is "transformative work" Which we've seen argued as everything from written commentary outside of the video, to a green dot in the video, to blah blah blah.
    These are ever moving pieces and definitions and because of the nature of the internet, it seems like the individual has the least say in what is what.

Now im not really disagreeing with you on this, just saying that the internet is a complex place that is constantly shifting and one needs to prepare themselves for it.

As for youtube, i was referencing youtube ads, not individual sponsorship and what not.

Just don't get how people keep doing these mental gymnastics to convince themselves that creators don't get any say in their work.
    I was talking about ads as well. Sponsorships turning a profit are much more rare than off adsense.

* First time watch

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID ScaryGames101

Exclamation

What he means is that piracy is such a widespread issue that it's hard to stop it. I'm not sure if he's saying he is for it. What he is getting at is that by putting people's work out there, it gives them the promotion they need to succeed. People still stay fans too. There's also lots of special versions of things that fans want to see the light of day, but they don't get official releases for some reason. So when fans somehow get whatever copy there is and it goes underground, it's their way of saying to these companies to please hurry the fuck up and release this God damn film, or whatever it happens to be. I'm not saying it's right to take something that doesn't belong to you, but trust me. Nobody really cares about this, other than them. Nobody will even remember these 6 minute films in a year from now anyway. Some people don't even buy DVDs any longer. What money is there to be made from a film less than 10 minutes long that ends up on YouTube, huh? What did R.C. say in his first reply? Short films are poor investments.

Well, they are a waste of funding, to a degree. Short films are only successful if they are connected to an already huge series. Of course, that doesn't mean I'm making excuses for those who take their material. I'm just saying that film companies keep biting the hand that feeds them, so then if they lost their fans, they would be nothing without their backers. It's like with fast food joints. If people suddenly hated their (usually already) bad food, they would try competing brands instead and put them out of business. In this day and age, places go into administration all the time because most things (including banking) now occurs online.

Besides, a lot of modern day directors are just a bunch of wannabe hacks. They take what was already popular, that wasn't even theirs to begin with, then do their own awful take on it to attract the most loyal of fans of the original premise, so that the fans get all clammy over the fact they tainted what was once good and they just scoff it up. Yet this trick always works due to everyone being so nostalgia blind. For example, people moan about The Walking Dead being so crap nowadays, but they still watch it anyway because they likely have nothing better to watch online or on TV. So, in other words, why do people complain about things that complaining about won't even change? Yes, it's called feedback, but since when do companies actually listen to their fans? It's all about the money. Plain and simple.

Obluda
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    5 Days Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Sad
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 239
    Haaaang on there, man. Don't go twisting my words. Yes, short films, in my opinion, are poor investments. That still doesn't excuse you from ripping it and uploading it to your channel. Even if you appeared in it or helped with its funding. You shouldn've done what you had.

And it seems to me that you kinda have a negative perception of directors and aspiring directors. So that begs the question. What makes you want to work in film? You have this rather stubborn bias about the people you're supposed to work with, when most actors are VERY enthusiastic just to be working. That negativity can be sensed, and it's not appealing.

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID ScaryGames101
    It's not that. It's because they spread crap about me. By doing that, it affects me personally and professionally. Not to mention, it makes my anxiety get worse and worse. Do you not see a pattern? It seemed like a good idea at first, to get into some acting, but now I don't think it's for me. That and I'm not able to find support workers to help me, because my social worker is an arsehole.

Like I said, social services have to pay for the support and they keep badgering me with shit about what I can use the support for. When I was supported by Autism Initiatives years ago, the support was fun, flexible and generally good when it came to me asking for support shifts to do things, but back then I didn't do much extra work as I didn't know about all these Facebook groups and whatnot. So I shot myself in the foot by quitting my support with them. If you knew what had went on though (which I think you do now) and you knew how hurtful it was, you would have stuck your fingers up at them as well.

Anyway, nobody even commented on my videos in my prior posts. I've removed them on YouTube because of the hassle I get from this Kiwi dickhead, who follows me around forums and edits shit on my IMDb page on purpose. I'll be leaving this thread alone now.

Deadbeat posting at dawn
    病気の

Status
    Last Online
    2 Days Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Add woodenheart on Facebook
    Thumbs Up