My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow Toby On Twitter Add Toby on Facebook
    Visit Toby's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 458

"BLAIR WITCH" REVIEW

Blair Witch was one of the worst horror movies I've seen all year and I've watched Clown Town...at least Clown Town delivered something a little different even if it fails on its face with terrible cliches...Blair Witch is the movie that deserves all the hatred that was horribly misdirected at The Witch.

In case you're a lifeless masturbation sock puppet who doesn't know what films are, The Blair Witch Project was an independent horror film about a film crew documenting their journey through the dark woods in search for the Blair Witch, it had great authenticity with its poor audio, amateur film quality, great use of subtlety that builds its terror and never showing the true horror that awaits them but instead leaves you with haunting voices and disappearing friends and it was a big hit when it came out.

That was probably due to the way it was marketed, but after watching it it's hard to argue how it does everything right when it comes to found footage movies, the very genre it spawned that so many try to do with very little creativity and fail to utilize the way to make a good found footage movie instead they mostly use it as a gimmick to make a cheaper movie without any explanation as to why people are still recording the horrors happening to them, except for movies like VHS that utilize it perfectly.

Blair Witch 2: Book of Shadows was a strange sequel that no one cares about.

Now we come to Blair Witch which was filmed in secret under the name "The Woods" and surprise it's a Blair Witch sequel/reboot to breath new life into the franchise that didn't even need to become a franchise for a desperate studio like Lionsgate.

I was surprised to see Adam Wingard had directed this movie, I liked movies that he did for VHS and Home Sick and I even enjoyed You're Next more than most...after seeing this movie this has to be one of his worst movies he's ever made if it were to be connected to the Blair Witch Project he did a bad job with the script and the vision of the film, what I'm saying is that he was the wrong choice for a project like this, even if it's a movie that no one really asked for.

How is Blair Witch? It's as bad as As Above, So Below, in fact...it's just like As Above, So Below...it had an interesting-ish trailer with one creative-looking death scene and a sort of interesting premise...it also makes me think of George Romero's Diary of the Dead that, while it does the found footage aspect wrong, it at least has some entertainment value...where as As Above, So Below is a terrible found footage movie that does nothing interesting with terrible shaky cam with only one interesting death scene with characters I hate and an idea gone completely to waste.

Blair Witch is about a group of college kids, one of whom is the brother of the woman from the first movie, who go into the woods to find out what happened to them and the same exact thing happens to everyone, blah, blah, blah...it's a fucking reboot of the Blair Witch Project and it's not even a good reboot at that.

All of the characters are boring and unlikable for the most part and mostly just exist to watch die off screen, one of the death scenes in the trailer (it doesn't count as a spoiler if it was in the trailer) where one of the characters breaks one of the wooden figures hung around in the woods and one of the characters die with their back snapping which was the only interesting death scene in the entire movie and it's not even well-shot.
    There's even a part in the movie where one of the friends gets a cut under her foot and there's something moving around inside it but it's never revealed what it is that's moving around inside her foot and she doesn't turn into a scary creature or anything.

Also, believe it or not, you actually get to see what the Witch looks like...and...SPOILER ALERT!!! It's the Rake. Yup, it's a tall, bald, anorexic and naked creature that kills you if you look at it and it's all done with the worst most cheap-looking CGI that makes the creatures in Grave Encounters look like a masterpiece of filmmaking (which I haven't seen yet but I've heard it's really good), all of the characters see it and all of them die off screen, like seriously, this girl who is suppose to be our survivor she uses her video camera to not look at the witch in the face to escape the house and she hears the voice of her boyfriend she just heard getting killed off screen asking for help and she turns and she dies. Great.

Another thing that plagues this movie is it's terrible attempt at jump scares, they're every where and you can see them coming or they're just in the movie for no reason other than for cheap scares that never made me rattle like Lights Out did.

Also the camera equipment, video and the audio is pitch perfect which is what totally kills the authenticity for the movie's found footage aspect, everything is well-lit, characters look nice and polished and...there's actual MUSIC in the movie which completely kills its realism, it can't even rely on natural sound to be scary, it makes me wonder why they didn't just film it like a movie, instead it's a found footage film that shot like a movie which is a terrible why to make a found footage movie especially when trying to be realistic about what's going on.
    The most I can say I liked about this sad pathetic excuse for a movie is that the forest areas and night scenes with some of the ambient sounds were effective at times and it was grabbing my interest in some places but each and every time it just lets me down with what ever desperate scare it tries to get out of me.

I didn't even have any high expectations for this movie coming out I just heard it was going to be scary and it looked like it was going to be fun with that one poorly-shot death scene, but it fails to deliver anything unique and it fails to do anything remotely frightening other than rip off the original Blair Witch Project and just making stuff happen to suck out all the mystery and just shit it into theaters to grab some quick box office dollars.

Stay far away from this movie, it's not scary, it's not stylish, it's not interesting which are its biggest detriments. See "Don't Breath" instead.

1/10

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Toby; 09-15-2016 at 11:47 PM.

"It's a Freak Show! A Freak Show! See the strange and bizarre! Step right up, we'd love to see you! We think YOU can be the STAR! Hahahaha! Oooh! Hahahahaha! Ooohh! Hahahaha!"-Umlaut (CarnEvil)
    GORY PUMPKIN WEBSITE

"Ignorance must die if creation is to survive.."-Dillon Mason (Hacksaw: Documentary of a Psycho Killer)

Rotting Zealot
    Go quickly, travel safely, my
    young friend, to the land of
    ghosts.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Happy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 228
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag amniac

Spoiler...

Psycho Killer
    Lurking in the Dark

Status
    Last Online
    1 Day Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by CountOrlok View Post
    Spoiler...

No where near as cool looking in this shitty movie.

"It's a Freak Show! A Freak Show! See the strange and bizarre! Step right up, we'd love to see you! We think YOU can be the STAR! Hahahaha! Oooh! Hahahahaha! Ooohh! Hahahaha!"-Umlaut (CarnEvil)
    GORY PUMPKIN WEBSITE

"Ignorance must die if creation is to survive.."-Dillon Mason (Hacksaw: Documentary of a Psycho Killer)

Child of the Grave
    The Duke of NY...A#1

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 310
    Given: 94
    The original BWP IMO was nothing short of a dagger in the healthy beating heart of the horror genre...hated that fucking movie in ways that I can't describe because there aren't the proper words to convey my hatred accurately...that being said...F this too...F anyone who is responsible for bringing anything BLAIR WITCH back...and F this review...just because it reminds me of the original disasterpiece.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Wake up sucker, we're thieves and we're bad guys. That's exactly what we are."

Child of the Grave
    The Duke of NY...A#1

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up
    ...I believe that the right thing to do is delete this thread and forbid any further mention of anything Blair Witch Project related ever again.

Last edited by koolmike; 09-16-2016 at 11:21 PM.

UHM Emissary
    “I'm afraid I can't
    explain myself, sir. Because I
    am not myself, you see?”

Status
    Last Online
    10-25-2022

Member #
    Threads
    Add WickedNik on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 117
    Given: 5
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID wickednik
    Why was anyone even excited about this movie? The original sucked and everyone made all this hype for this one. Like, when did everyone become a Blair witch fan? Anyway, don't really care if I ever see this.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Child of the Grave
    The Duke of NY...A#1

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    12-03-2018

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 27
    I heard this new movie took everything good about the first and turned it into cookie cutter expected, jump scare horror.

As for the original, im not a huge fan of it but it was definitely an amazing piece of work. It gave back to horror something it had been missing for quite a while, and that was actual suspense during a time that was plagued with the Scream series and a plethora of horrible clones. The original took a lot from Hitchcocks book and it did it fairly well, well enough to be noted at the time given the nonsense it was surrounded with.

Last edited by El Ahrairah; 09-22-2016 at 02:59 AM.

Zombiefied Zealot
    damn status bar...my entries
    are too long for you:dislike:

Status
    Last Online
    08-25-2022

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 303
    Given: 255
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag IrishMobsta13
    Quote Originally Posted by koolmike View Post
    The original BWP IMO was nothing short of a dagger in the healthy beating heart of the horror genre...hated that fucking movie in ways that I can't describe because there aren't the proper words to convey my hatred accurately...that being said...F this too...F anyone who is responsible for bringing anything BLAIR WITCH back...and F this review...just because it reminds me of the original disasterpiece.
    this sums it up properly!

Quote Originally Posted by bravenewworld1 View Post
    I heard this new movie took everything good about the first
    everything good....? where was that at!?

Last edited by IrishG3nt; 09-22-2016 at 06:46 AM.
    The UHM Clown

“I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.”
    ― Edgar Allan Poe

Child of the Grave
    The Duke of NY...A#1

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up

Insane Membrane
    crusing.

Status
    Last Online
    02-10-2021

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Brooding
    Follow da Gay On Twitter Add da Gay on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 0
    it looked good. blahhhh.

Wants to be a
    CRIMINAL

Zombiefied Zealot
    "You should give in,you
    should surrender to that
    feeling you had the first time
    you ever looked into his
    eyes" - Corey Cunningham.

Status
    Last Online
    3 Weeks Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Goofy
    Follow DarkSuperman On Twitter Add DarkSuperman on Facebook
    Visit DarkSuperman's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 44
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID DarkSuperman87
    The Blair Witch was good in a sense it had been released during the late 90's back when social media was just starting to stir. Watching it now, it obviously doesn't live up to the hype it generated nearly 20 years ago. I feel like if you saw this movie in a theatre, you were probably one lucky individual.

Dr. Sam Loomis: I prayed that he would burn in hell. But in my heart, I knew that hell would not have him.

Ain't Got Time Fo' Jibba-Jabba
    Drunk Again

Status
    Last Online
    03-18-2022

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 39
    Quote Originally Posted by koolmike View Post
    Agreed. That was POS movie. How can anyone like that low budget garbage? At the time though, they passed it off as real, and I believed it like the fool I am.

Zombiefied Zealot
    "You should give in,you
    should surrender to that
    you ever looked into his

Status
    Last Online
    3 Weeks Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Goofy
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID DarkSuperman87
    The New Blair Witch was interesting though. I actually read up on it after I watched it and liked what I saw. The director really did his homework when filming it.

Dr. Sam Loomis: I prayed that he would burn in hell. But in my heart, I knew that hell would not have him.

Psycho Killer
    Lurking in the Dark

Status
    Last Online
    1 Day Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkSuperman View Post
    The New Blair Witch was interesting though. I actually read up on it after I watched it and liked what I saw. The director really did his homework when filming it.
    The problem with that is no one should be required to look up the story to enjoy a full complete movie, if what you've read up on isn't in the movie, then it's still terrible and shows just how careless and incompetent of a director Adam "Y'know" Wingard truly is.

GORY PUMPKIN WEBSITE

Child of the Grave
    The Duke of NY...A#1

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up
    Lost in the woods....and film footage of it....

Child of the Grave
    The Duke of NY...A#1

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishG3nt View Post

everything good....? where was that at!?
    LOVE IT!

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    21 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 265
    Given: 101
    Love the original. I thought it was a fresh shot in the arm for a genre which was at the time treading water with lame, CGI-heavy mainstream fair and sub-standard Scream rip-offs. To this day I think the first Blair Witch is one of the best straight horror films of the last 20 years. Everything you guys seem to hate about it are what I love about it. But I thought part 2 was so tepid that despite two attempts, I've never been able to sit through the whole thing. And I have zero interest in this attempt to reboot the series. For one, just the word "reboot" is a big turn-off for me. The other turn-off is Adam Wingard. Not hating on the guy, I just haven't seen anything of his so far that I've enjoyed, and I'm only willing to give a filmmaker so many chances before I give up on 'em.

Child of the Grave
    The Duke of NY...A#1

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up
    Glad you liked it. Cheers!

Zombiefied Zealot
    "You should give in,you
    should surrender to that
    you ever looked into his

Status
    Last Online
    3 Weeks Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Goofy
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID DarkSuperman87
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon of the Dead View Post
    Love the original. I thought it was a fresh shot in the arm for a genre which was at the time treading water with lame, CGI-heavy mainstream fair and sub-standard Scream rip-offs. To this day I think the first Blair Witch is one of the best straight horror films of the last 20 years. Everything you guys seem to hate about it is what I love about it. But I thought part 2 was so tepid that despite two attempts, I've never been able to sit through the whole thing. And I have zero interest in this attempt to reboot the series. For one, just the word "reboot" is a big turn-off for me. The other turn-off is Adam Wingard. Not hating on the guy, I just haven't seen anything of his so far that I've enjoyed, and I'm only willing to give a filmmaker so many chances before I give up on 'em.
    Reboot? The new Blair Witch is more of a sequel we never received after the first flick. Haven't you seen it? If not, you should give it a shot. Long story short, it's Heather's younger brother and a group of his friends, plus a couple who live near the area his sister, Mike, and Josh, all went missing back in 1994 or whatever. Her brother basically thinks there's a chance his sister is still alive and he sets out to try to find her. It's interesting. I didn't mind it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast