Status
    Last Online
    15 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 265
    Given: 101
    Looking back over my post to see where I said everyone was just a hater...huh. That's strange -- I never said that at all. Darn it, El, are you trying to put words into my mouth again? Oh, you...

*80s sitcom head shake*

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Psycho Killer
    Lurking in the Dark

Status
    Last Online
    19 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow Toby On Twitter Add Toby on Facebook
    Visit Toby's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 458
    I'll never understand the hatred surrounding Rob Zombie as a filmmaker. I mean, I felt really disappointed with how 31 turned out and I donated to that shitfest.

I'm one of the few who actually love House of 1000 Corpses, The Devil's Rejects, Lords of Salem and El Superbeasto, RZ's Halloween remakes were weak H2 was by far the worst even though it's more of a demo reel for his filmmaking visuals which are great in some of those scenes but the whole movie in general was a shitty mess and he still needs to work on his dialogue as a screen writer.

3 from Hell I have no idea what to expect, I loved how Devil's Rejects ended, it doesn't need a sequel, but it wouldn't be impossible due to the fact that in House of 1000 Corpses they can raise and summon the dead, so there's a chance they just so happen to be undead, even though Devil's Rejects stayed far away from House of 1000 Corpses which worked in its favor even if I wished they kept in the scene with Dr. Satan killing the nurse.

RZ isn't as bad people and horror fans say he is, he's got a great visual eye, clearly a good director, a good writer when it's not flooded with over-used cuss words, he pushes the envelope on violence and gore that not a lot of directors do and that a lot of mainstream horror films try to tone down.

"It's a Freak Show! A Freak Show! See the strange and bizarre! Step right up, we'd love to see you! We think YOU can be the STAR! Hahahaha! Oooh! Hahahahaha! Ooohh! Hahahaha!"-Umlaut (CarnEvil)
    GORY PUMPKIN WEBSITE

"Ignorance must die if creation is to survive.."-Dillon Mason (Hacksaw: Documentary of a Psycho Killer)

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    12-03-2018

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 27
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon of the Dead View Post
    Looking back over my post to see where I said everyone was just a hater...huh. That's strange -- I never said that at all. Darn it, El, are you trying to put words into my mouth again? Oh, you...

*80s sitcom head shake*

I mean... you had to go with something right?
    After realizing how ridiculous it was to compare directors who use an actor for a few films with someone who exclusively uses his wife and two other actors... keeping all three careers alive.. and how this is a very different criticism and is rather stupid to try to suggest they are the same... you had pull something out, so you went with semantics and pretending you cannot interpret that i was clearly speaking of people issuing the same criticism, which is like half the people here. If you needed that clarified, you could have asked..... i thought you were intelligent enough to grasp that i was very clearly referencing those making said criticisms that you mentioned as "you guys", but hey, i was wrong apparently. I apologize.

And just to clarify, even if i changed that to be ultra specific for you, or even to "myself", it does not make your silly idea of people simply being "haters" any more valid and imo is one of the bottom of the barrel, lack of thought criticisms one can offer that anyone who is over the age of four should never say.

Last edited by El Ahrairah; 06-19-2018 at 08:18 AM.

UHM's Arrogant Metal Head
    If anything is possible, is it
    possible for something to be
    impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    2 Days Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Add DMHead777 on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 570
    Given: 1,294
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag DMHead777 PSN ID dmhead777 Steam ID whittem0re
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    I'll never understand the hatred surrounding Rob Zombie as a filmmaker.
    I don't understand how you don't understand the hatred surrounding Rob Zombie.

Aren't you a filmmaker? Doesn't it bother you that the man has never had an original idea in the majority of his films? Most of his films are copies from other horror movies or non-horror films. I'm really not going to get into it because this isn't a topic on anti-rob zombie, but come on. His writing is god awful and always filled with over the top curse words. You say it's good when it's "not" filled with curse words, but when is that? He even added unnecessary curse words in Halloween. It stuck out like a sore thumb and I have the mouth of a sailor in real life. He casts his non talented wife in everything and it just gets bland after a while. At least the directors you mentioned cast talented people in their roles. A cast you don't mind seeing every time you see one of their films because you know you're going to get a quality performance.

You keep saying, "I don't understand this" and "He's not as bad as everyone says he is". But once again, you have made a movie. You understand to an extent on how film making works. You clearly like him as a director, but seems to me you can't understand how people have various opinions about the guy. That confuses me. Don't be that guy who has a blind eye to opinions just because you like the guys work.

31 is clearly, CLEARLY, a cash grab. It's so obvious, yet hardcore fans are going to sit here and be amazed that the three characters lived through the end of DR. As I said before, they did not. The movie ended perfectly because they went out in a blaze of gunfire and that was that. Devil's Rejects was the first and last movie that was semi-original. His asinine way of resurrecting these poor characters is going to hurt this movie than it will help it. It's a guarantee fuck up.

-1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    09-16-2021

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 124
    Every movie is a cash grab, every story every idea is a copy of something else.

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    15 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 265
    Given: 101
    Quote Originally Posted by El Ahrairah View Post
    After realizing how ridiculous it was to compare directors who use an actor for a few films with someone who exclusively uses his wife and two other actors... keeping all three careers alive.. and how this is a very different criticism and is rather stupid to try to suggest they are the same... you had pull something out...
    See, El, this is your problem. You like to presume you know what other people are thinking. I didn't pull something out because I realized it was ridiculous of me to compare the two. I compared the two in the first place because I recognized similarities. Every director I listed is guilty of doing the same things you're hating on Zombie for. But don't take my word for it. Look them up. Though I doubt you will.

Now me, I know full and well that I'm one opinionated son of a bitch. But I'm at the very least willing to listen to someone else, as long as they present a sensible and rational argument. I've even been known to change my mind and admit and accept when I've been proven wrong. You seem to lack that ability, because you are adamant, in just about every conversation that I've had with you, that your opinion is in actuality unshakable truth, and if someone disagrees with you, it's because either they don't know what they're talking about, or they're just making up reasons to disagree with you. And you'll go to extreme lengths to "prove" I'm wrong. And that's not me pulling an El and making shit up to make you sound like a jerk -- I can point to almost any of our conversations and highlight where you've done exactly that. When your fabricated "facts" fail you, you instead attempt to discredit and paint my motives as suspect; when both of those fail, you look for little nits to pick and opportunities to intentionally misinterpret intent or reason.

So let me, officially, lay out my motives to you all nice and clear like, in words that even you won't be able to misinterpret or imply alternate meaning to:

You're a bully. And I don't like bullies. My first instinct when faced with a bully is to punch them in the face, but since I can't do that with you because you're just a little twerp internet bully, I instead have to settle for calling you out on your bullshit. And I'd be lying by omission if I didn't admit that when I do call you out on your bullshit, I get this mental image of you sitting there at your monitor, shaking your little bully fists and stomping your little bully feet and steam hissing out of your little bully ears as you scream to the heavens, "Someone doesn't think I'm right on the internet!" Now, I'm sure that's not what REALLY happens, but just to be safe, the next time I call you out on your bullshit, snap a pic of yourself in the moment and PM it to me. I want to see if steam really does hiss out of your ears.

Or, you could just avoid all that and do as has been suggested before -- learn better how to deal with people disagreeing with you. Although -- and this is just my opinion -- I don't see that happening any time soon.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    12-03-2018

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    See, El, this is your problem. You like to presume you know what other people are thinking.
    You are absolutely right.
    I am terribly, terribly sorry for presuming and assuming we were working within the context of the conversation currently being had.
    I hope you caught the sarcasm there and i hope you understand what i was presuming and why anyone who holds normal conversations with human beings would make that presumption.
    I was under the assumption that we were holding a back and forth conversation. That reference points continued, that the conversation went 1-2-3-4-5.... and not 1-1-1-1-1-1... that in every single post i would not have to re-establish nouns, verbs or adverbs.

I didn't pull something out because I realized it was ridiculous of me to compare the two. I compared the two in the first place because I recognized similarities. Every director I listed is guilty of doing the same things you're hating on Zombie for. But don't take my word for it. Look them up. Though I doubt you will.
    Exactly what is happening here?
    Did you read my response at all?
    I hope you decide to focus on this part and maybe go back and check to see what i said, and what youre now trying to say "i doubt you will" to. And once you see how unwarranted this whole thing was, maybe y oull relax when you go in to a blind fury.

You're a bully. And I don't like bullies. My first instinct when faced with a bully is to punch them in the face, but since I can't do that with you because you're just a little twerp internet bully, I instead have to settle for calling you out on your bullshit. And I'd be lying by omission if I didn't admit that when I do call you out on your bullshit, I get this mental image of you sitting there at your monitor, shaking your little bully fists and stomping your little bully feet and steam hissing out of your little bully ears as you scream to the heavens, "Someone doesn't think I'm right on the internet!" Now, I'm sure that's not what REALLY happens, but just to be safe, the next time I call you out on your bullshit, snap a pic of yourself in the moment and PM it to me. I want to see if steam really does hiss out of your ears.
    Right, this is a good little rant and all, but lets not go overboard with the internet heroics.
    You presented some directors who reused actors.
    I admitted this is an issue and deserves criticism, but also recognized that there was a big difference between a director having 30 movies under their belt and using the same actor for 4, and Rob Zombie using his wife in literally every single movie he does... which was my criticism of him and not a criticism we can say about any of the other directors you mentioned.

This is a nice little attempt at trying to put on the big boy pants and come at what you consider the "bully", but as you often do, you are overreacting all because you didnt understand the discussion at hand.
    As a bit of a side note, attempting to hold you accountable for what you say, keeping you on topic and actually calling you out when you stray off topic to something that does not matter or getting you to recognize that you hopping in to a blind rage after one or two sentences and saying things you would not say had you read passed those two sentences, is actually attempting to help you along, not "bully"... nice buzz word though.

Lastly (at least for this part) this.... "Someone doesn't think I'm right on the internet!". You can have whatever opinion you want, but this seems to mostly come from a different conversation we had. A conversation where you didnt seem to grasp that i was NOT giving you my opinion on the subject. Because i recognize that in a specific science, i am not qualified to give my opinion and when this happens, ill will simply defer to those who are qualified. And when this does happen, you are right that i will respond with a bit of "what is wrong with you? This is not an opinion." type of responses, because at that point you're challenging objective truths under the guise that its an opinion based topic/point and that we merely have a difference of opinion.
    Although parallel to the conversation that would be an opinion, i will admit that one of the biggest problems we face as a society is this idea that opinions are on par with objective reality. That (as a direct response to what you were saying in the other post) you wanting something to be true or not true, does not contradict or dismantle all of say... political science. Just like how creationists not wanting evolution to be true, does not counter the fact of evolution... or flat earthers wanting the earth to be flat, does not contradict all of science. Or anti-vaxxers not wanting vaccines to be the single most effective medicine mankind has ever created, does not counter all of medical science. This is not me stating my opinion, this is me relegating an answer to qualified individuals because im honest enough to recognize that im not qualified to answer them with an opinion.
    And going back to this topic, you'd know that i already granted you the fact that there are numerous great directors who use an actor multiple times (which nullifies your first two sentences in this response and youd know this if you didnt become blind with rage)... and here is where my opinion kicks in..... but in my opinion, there is a notable difference between say.... Martin Scorsese having 38 full length movies accredited to him as a director and him using Leo for 5 of them. And Zombie having 8 full length movies accredited to him, and using his wife in 8 of those movies. Or the other two in 7 of those movies. Hey, if you want to see no difference here, that's fine. But i dont think its entirely unreasonable see a very obvious difference and criticize him for it.

but just to be safe, the next time I call you out on your bullshit, snap a pic of yourself in the moment and PM it to me. I want to see if steam really does hiss out of your ears.
    How about this.
    Instead of me doing this, you re-read the conversation and what you're saying, and see if this is actually the situation.

Let me toss a situation out there that i think is what is happening and im basing it on our interactions and you and another persons interactions in another thread. You, do not do a very good job reading detail and more often than not, apply intent to what someone is saying, and that intent is often geared negatively toward you. This causes you to react negatively toward someone and then you become defensive and think someone else is in the offense. When you do this, you tend to ignore the conversation at hand and you simply go in defense mode...OR you read a quarter to a half of someone's post and then go in to "flip shit" mode as you just did..... this explains this entire little rant you went on. Get it out of your system little fella... cry if you need to.

-1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by El Ahrairah; 06-19-2018 at 08:02 PM.

Zombiefied Zealot
    "You should give in,you
    should surrender to that
    feeling you had the first time
    you ever looked into his
    eyes" - Corey Cunningham.

Status
    Last Online
    3 Weeks Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Goofy
    Follow DarkSuperman On Twitter Add DarkSuperman on Facebook
    Visit DarkSuperman's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 44
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID DarkSuperman87
    If Zombie wants to make any money off his movies then he has no choice but to hire his friends. I'm sure he and his wife are the only two that make out like bandits since we all know the movie is going to be trash.

Dr. Sam Loomis: I prayed that he would burn in hell. But in my heart, I knew that hell would not have him.

Call me STRT or Street
    If someone asks if you are a
    god you say YES

Status
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Follow strtfghtr On Twitter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 727
    Given: 363
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID EataFat1 Steam ID strtfghtr Wii Code something...
    Still hope this turns out well, but the haters' minds have already been made up.

All You Need is Blood - The Official UHM Horror Podcast

https://soundcloud.com/allyouneedisblood

Zombiefied Zealot
    Majestic ruler of scavengers

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 72
    Quote Originally Posted by strtfghtr View Post
    Still hope this turns out well, but the haters' minds have already been made up.
    I’m a RZ hater but you know what, I’ll still end up watching this at some point. Ha!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Psycho Killer
    Lurking in the Dark

Status
    Last Online
    19 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow Toby On Twitter Add Toby on Facebook
    Visit Toby's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 458
    Quote Originally Posted by DMHead777 View Post
    I don't understand how you don't understand the hatred surrounding Rob Zombie.

Aren't you a filmmaker? Doesn't it bother you that the man has never had an original idea in the majority of his films? Most of his films are copies from other horror movies or non-horror films. I'm really not going to get into it because this isn't a topic on anti-rob zombie, but come on. His writing is god awful and always filled with over the top curse words. You say it's good when it's "not" filled with curse words, but when is that? He even added unnecessary curse words in Halloween. It stuck out like a sore thumb and I have the mouth of a sailor in real life. He casts his non talented wife in everything and it just gets bland after a while. At least the directors you mentioned cast talented people in their roles. A cast you don't mind seeing every time you see one of their films because you know you're going to get a quality performance.

You keep saying, "I don't understand this" and "He's not as bad as everyone says he is". But once again, you have made a movie. You understand to an extent on how film making works. You clearly like him as a director, but seems to me you can't understand how people have various opinions about the guy. That confuses me. Don't be that guy who has a blind eye to opinions just because you like the guys work.

31 is clearly, CLEARLY, a cash grab. It's so obvious, yet hardcore fans are going to sit here and be amazed that the three characters lived through the end of DR. As I said before, they did not. The movie ended perfectly because they went out in a blaze of gunfire and that was that. Devil's Rejects was the first and last movie that was semi-original. His asinine way of resurrecting these poor characters is going to hurt this movie than it will help it. It's a guarantee fuck up.
    I understand and yes I am a filmmaker and I rather make stories that are different and not rip-offs of other things.

I can sort of see the argument of him stealing other horror movie ideas, but really they're not so much stealing as they are homage to other horror films, hell I had to cut out some of the dialogue in my movie Hacksaw because there was a scene where I recounted Ed Gein, Albert Fish and Lizzie Borden like from 1000 Corpses because most of it was improvised, but understandably I cut it out because it didn't sound or feel right and delayed more than it should and didn't want to blatantly take what RZ had done so I can keep mine different.

Horror directors take different pre-existing ideas and make them into something different, Del Toro just came out with Shape of Water one of the greatest Horror Fantasy Romance Dramas of all time, for RZ Devil's Rejects is superb work because he makes his characters from 1000 Corpses work as something different no matter how much people may hate him The Devil's Rejects has a very solid script and great characters and great visual story-telling. Sherry Moon Zombie is no Charlize Theron but she's great as Baby and she is good at playing straight Motherly roles too like in RZ's Halloween, she has range as an actress and RZ has yet to expand her talent and she does her job well and really for most horror movies the performances don't always have to be super great to make the movies enjoyable especially horror movies from the 80's and that's okay it's one of the reasons to love movies in general horror movies especially, we can have serious character pieces like Babadook, challenging powerful and disturbing movies like A Serbian Film, exploitative and complex sleaze like Don't Breathe and we can have all those to coincide with silly bloodfest horror like Lords of Salem, The Purge and Hobo with a Shotgun.

Yes, House of 1000 Corpses is a messy homage to Texas Chainsaw Massacre but it's still different and not unwatchably terrible. Lords of Salem was a good attempt at an art film about a woman becoming the Bride of Satan, El Superbeasto is garbage but it's fun and laughable garbage with some delightfully sleazy animation we don't really get to see that often, Halloween the remake was average not the worst remake I've seen but definitely one of Zombie's weaker movies, H2 as I've said I hated everything about as it's own movie it's a mess that you can play in the background while doing something else with your time but overall it just shows how much RZ doesn't really care about making Halloween movies anymore and it shows and it only infuriated me, and 31 was a massive disappointment because it looked and felt super cheap and it lacked any kind of fun and excitement those pieces of concept art inspired me and other poor fans to donate to a project that simply couldn't live up to anything it was doing and felt lifeless except for one character actor who only slightly saved it from being a completely awful movie and that was Richard Brake as Doomhead, but even though I have a copy of it on my shelf which I donated money for one of the perks I have no interest in revisiting it, maybe later down the line but as of now it's the one tRZ movie that's left me with a rotten feeling inside.

RZ can be very frustrating to say the least when it comes to making movies, sometimes they're really good and other times they're garbage, but he's no like Uwe Boll who literally makes some of the worst movies of all time except for Rampage, Rampage is the only good thing about Uwe Boll's resume, other than that I find him absolutely obnoxious and one of the worst filmmakers of all time even if Rampage is a good movie it won't boost his reputation up any time soon. RZ on the other hand, I can understand that people and horror fans may not like his style or that he really enjoys the trailer trash kind of things in his horror movies and I didn't say that there should be no cuss words in all movies or RZ's just not to over-use them to the point of absurdity like in the Halloween remakes which I agree made them stick out like sore thumbs.

3 from Hell, I do agree feels unnecessary and shouldn't need to exist, and 31 I will agree was a quick cash grab because I got nothing out of it except for Richard Brake as Doomhead, I'm not trying to make anyone's dislike of something wrong, I've put in my defense for RZ and I acknowledge my dislike in some of his recent filmmaking decisions and I can only hope he gets better and keeps making the movies he wants to make and hopefully he makes a comeback to where horror fans will eventually love the work he brings out, but if not then oh well he's probably not very good at making anything than trailer trash characters...except Lords of Salem but I digress.

At least Rob Zombie isn't as terrible as Paul WS Anderson, Uwe Boll, Brett Ratner, Adam "Y-Know" Wingard, Joel Schmacher, John Erick Dowdle, and even Ridley Scott who's become a senile old man. RZ should at least pitch in some of his own money into his projects that he believes in, if he believes in them, I don't know, I don't worship the guy I just don't think he's as terrible as the other film directors I've listed, but to each their own.

Last edited by Toby; 06-20-2018 at 02:09 AM.

"It's a Freak Show! A Freak Show! See the strange and bizarre! Step right up, we'd love to see you! We think YOU can be the STAR! Hahahaha! Oooh! Hahahahaha! Ooohh! Hahahaha!"-Umlaut (CarnEvil)
    GORY PUMPKIN WEBSITE

"Ignorance must die if creation is to survive.."-Dillon Mason (Hacksaw: Documentary of a Psycho Killer)

impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    2 Days Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

I read your statement, but I am confused as to what you're even talking about. Why are you comparing Zombie to other directors that is obviously an opinion of liking them or not? You compare Zombie to Uwe Boll and Ridley Scott. It seems like you are just randomly cherry picking directors you don't care for. No offense, but if you think Ridley Scott is a senile old man, then I really don't care about your opinions of those other directors. Of course he's not the worst filmmaker ever, but those other directors you mentioned at least come up with original scripts. Even Boll has more original ideas than Zombie. The hell does that say?

You can call it an homage all you want, but that doesn't excuse him from not having his own spin on things. His only "thing" is unnecessary swearing. He has some good effects in his films, but swearing and effects aren't something you can call a style. House of 1000 Corpses is a movie I really do like. But let's not sit here and call that an homage. It's pretty much a direct ripoff and the only thing missing is a chainsaw. You will find more comparisons between the two films than differences. Devil's Rejects is a movie I respect him for making and genuinely think it's his only original work. He knocked it out of the park on that one and has some great performances in there, not including his wife. He then immediately fucked up his career taking a step back to make non-original work again. I understand that it's difficult to have original ideas anymore, but his "ideas" are literally just other films that he piggy backs off of. This isn't like Tarantino making Uma Thurman's suit yellow because of Bruce Lee, this is "Hey let's take Running Man and make it horror".

This 3 From Hell bullshit is just capitalizing on shit that already made him successful in the past. His movies don't do well at all and that's why he is making a sequel to this. After 3 From Hell, he will do another bullshit movie or remake that will get down voted into oblivion. I won't be surprised if he ends this film on a cliffhanger so he has something to fall back on later in his career. All the mindless horror fans will always praise his work because they grew up with Zombie and love his music career. What he's doing is not different and he's done fuck all for the horror genre.

I respect your opinion, but leave the more talented directors out of this.

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    12-03-2018

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    No offense, but if you think Ridley Scott is a senile old man, then I really don't care about your opinions of those other directors.
    Probably the one thing you and i will completely agree on is that Rob Zombie is a hack. He was given a chance to direct movies because of the popularity of his name surrounding horror "communities" and has never developed his own style or something he could call his own.

That said, the Zombie-apologist here is right about Scott. You should watch some more of his interviews, the guy has very much become George Lucas as in he, does not understand the material he works with anymore. So much so, that you kind of question if he ever did. Although i don't understand why he'd bring him up when discussing RZ.

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    12-03-2018

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Yes, House of 1000 Corpses is a messy homage to Texas Chainsaw Massacre but it's still different and not unwatchably terrible.
    There is a thin line between "homage" and "ripping off" and it can be tricky to get "homage" down without moving into the "ripping off" territory, but it think its obvious when the "ripping off" happens over the "homage".
    1k Corpses is, IMO, not even "homage" or Ripping off", i think its him simply re-imagining Texas while pretending thats not what he was doing. Which does fit in to the ripping off category, and one can argue details of this direction but i think its very clear that this movie was FAR more ripping off than homage.
    And same can be said with the second one he did.
    He's a bit like Trump, where you can see that is simply repeating what he watched last. And in this case, he wanted to a sequel to Texas 3.0 and he just got done watching thriller indy films from the late 90s.

Call me STRT or Street
    god you say YES

Status
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

has never developed his own style or something he could call his own.
    Really? You don't think house, rejects, Halloween, H2, and Lords of Salem don't share a style? I mean yeah they all have different tones but they're in different subgenres. They also all share a similar writing style (that most RZ haters despise).

Or are you saying that since he uses concepts from other film makers that the style he uses is not his own?

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    12-03-2018

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Really? You don't think house, rejects, Halloween, H2, and Lords of Salem don't share a style? I mean yeah they all have different tones but they're in different subgenres. They also all share a similar writing style (that most RZ haters despise).

Or are you saying that since he uses concepts from other film makers that the style he uses is not his own?
    No i dont see any of those movies with a consistent directors style.
    Id say the closest he comes is the character writing, which is simply him writing every character as the biggest piece of shit he can. The characters just come off as cartoonish and absurd in a movie (aside from 1k) that you're supposed to take completely seriously.

Call me STRT or Street
    god you say YES

Status
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

No i dont see any of those movies with a consistent directors style.
    Id say the closest he comes is the character writing, which is simply him writing every character as the biggest piece of shit he can. The characters just come off as cartoonish and absurd in a movie (aside from 1k) that you're supposed to take completely seriously.
    So we agree that he has a writing style (just one you don't like), I have my problems with it time to time as well.

As for his directing style, there are a number of similarities amongst the films I mentioned (I still haven't seen 31 so I won't comment on it).

The color pallettes are all similar. Lots of browns and grays, very few bright vivid colors and when the bright colors are used it's meant to draw the viewer's attention.

Lighting as well is used in a murky manner. Nothing is fully lit or fully black, everything is a "shade of gray" with his lighting much like the use of colors.

The camera work and litteral focus is also very soft. Nothing is filmed sharp and distinct. It exaggerates the lived-in world's his characters inhabit. Makes everything look older and more worn out than it actually is. (House of 1K and Lord's of Salem use this a lot)

The settings and sets themselves are busy, complicated, even just plain cluttered. They're dirty and worn out. Everything looks like there's a lifetime of abuse on the backgrounds.

The camera work and cinematography changes a good amount throughout his movies, I'll agree with you on that. House is shot like a music video all jerky and disorienting, Rejects is more plain old straightforward shots nothing too fancy, not much change in the first Halloween, H2 is where he begins to depart and branch out with more unique and varried shots. Lords is a visual feast with heavy influences (or as you like to call it theft) from Polanski and Fulci and some DePalama as well. Though zombie does put some of that music video jerkiness back in Lords which I don't like, makes the movie feel inconsistent to me.

Basically, the dialog, the characters, the settings, the lighting, the pallettes all seem to build a dirty grimy, trashy world that zombie seems to revel in.

I mean, all the RZ haters seem to hate his films for all the same reasons (dialogue, white trash, obnoxious, reuse of actors, etc) since there's consistency in the complaints I'm compelled to believe there's evidence of a consistency in a style along with the other things I've mentioned.

Still looking forward to seeing this new movie. Hope it's good.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Call me STRT or Street
    god you say YES

Status
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Of course there are individual exceptions to every thing I mentioned but as in most film discussions, these are point in the general sense.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    2 Days Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

The color pallettes are all similar. Lots of browns and grays, very few bright vivid colors
    -His films are dull looking. I wouldn't really say that's a style considering only two of his films are really that brown and gray. Lords of Salem was extremely dark at times (especially the kitchen scene), 31 is pretty colorful all around, and the Halloween films are bursting with color. One thing I do praise him on is his ability to create an October feel in those two films. I wouldn't really say that his color palette is consistent at all. I think he just rolls with the punches with the film he's about to make.

Nothing is filmed sharp and distinct. It exaggerates the lived-in world's his characters inhabit. Makes everything look older and more worn out than it actually is.
    Many directors do this. In fact, I would say most good film directors do this. Set design is something he really pays attention to, but I wouldn't really call this a style. I mean really? lol

The camera work and cinematography changes a good amount throughout his movies, I'll agree with you on that. House is shot like a music video all jerky and disorienting, Rejects is more plain old straightforward shots nothing too fancy, not much change in the first Halloween, H2 is where he begins to depart and branch out with more unique and varried shots. Lords is a visual feast with heavy influences (or as you like to call it theft) from Polanski and Fulci and some DePalama as well. Though zombie does put some of that music video jerkiness back in Lords which I don't like, makes the movie feel inconsistent to me.
    Agreed on this completely. It really shows he doesn't know what the fuck he's doing behind a camera and is too set in a music video world. His camera work can be extremely vanilla at times. While something can look good, he does this weird shit with a camera sometimes that ruins it. Also wouldn't call this a style

Basically, the dialog, the characters, the settings, the lighting, the pallettes all seem to build a dirty grimy, trashy world that zombie seems to revel in.
    The dialogue is not a damn style. He just can't write a good film to save his life. There is consistency in these complaints because he's not a good filmmaker. He doesn't learn from his mistakes and just makes flop after flop. By your logic Uwe Boll has a style, which he clearly doesn't. Uwe Boll has bad CGI in the majority of his films. Would you call that a style? Zombie shouldn't be praised for any of this stuff. Granted, he's a good cinematographer and should stick to that, but the majority of his films are suuuper dull. Lack of color and vividness may work for House and DR, but it does not work in 31.

His reuse of actors also makes the films boring. You already know what kind of performances are going to be on screen for 3 From Hell. You know Bill Mosely will be great, Sid Haig will be Sid Haig, and his wife will be annoying as shit. There is no surprise there. He does nothing to sell you his films. This is purely going off past successes alone. What other reason, besides money, would there be to revive these characters?

He lacks style, creativity, and does zilch for the horror world. He has stolen ideas from past successful films and has released inferior remakes. And please, "hater" is such a teenager term. People have varying opinions on Zombie and his films. A lot give constructive criticism and others blindly hate the guy for the reasons I explained above. Usually that's thrown out there if someone can't handle opinions. "Oh whatever, you're just a hater".

I see more people blindly hating A24 movies than they do with Zombie. 9 times out of 10, I see people give legitimate reasons for disliking his films. Wouldn't call that being a hater, I'd call that constructive criticism that Zombie ignores. Only reason he has had success is because of his name, not his filmmaker talent.

Last edited by DMHead777; 06-21-2018 at 11:59 AM.

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    12-03-2018

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Yah, i wouldnt call most of those things a directing or even production "style". Might be... commonalities in his films, but they do not seem like something i'd mention if i were to take that list of directors on page one, and start listing their styles or what they're known for or how they're unique.

The dialogue is not a damn style.
    I think this is the closest he comes to having a "style" and i disagree with the idea that it cant be considered a style. Its fairly easy to tell a Tarantino movie with simply dialog, Joss Whedon... you can definitely tell his work by dialog alone, and Rob Zombie. If i see seven characters cussing up a storm with a fourth grade vocabulary and being the biggest dicks on tv or in a movie, i know its a rob zombie flick.

Last edited by El Ahrairah; 06-21-2018 at 01:10 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast