Threads
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Follow strtfghtr On Twitter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 727
    Given: 363
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID EataFat1 Steam ID strtfghtr Wii Code something...
    Quote Originally Posted by El Ahrairah View Post
    Yah, i wouldnt call most of those things a directing or even production "style". Might be... commonalities in his films, but they do not seem like something i'd mention if i were to take that list of directors on page one, and start listing their styles or what they're known for or how they're unique.

I think this is the closest he comes to having a "style" and i disagree with the idea that it cant be considered a style. Its fairly easy to tell a Tarantino movie with simply dialog, Joss Whedon... you can definitely tell his work by dialog alone, and Rob Zombie. If i see seven characters cussing up a storm with a fourth grade vocabulary and being the biggest dicks on tv or in a movie, i know its a rob zombie flick.
    So I didn't mention any other directors, I just mentioned what I think makes a film in the "style" of Rob Zombie. If none of those contribute to style then perhaps I don't understand what we're talking about.

I looked up film styles on Wikipedia and this is what it says:

"Film stylesare recognizable film techniques used by filmmakers to give specific changes or value to their work. It can include all aspects in making a film: sound,mise-en-scene, dialogue,cinematography, editing or attitude."

I feel like I mentioned a bunch of those.

Could you maybe give me an example of a filmmaker/filmmaking style that I can understand?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

All You Need is Blood - The Official UHM Horror Podcast

https://soundcloud.com/allyouneedisblood

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    12-03-2018

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 27
    Quote Originally Posted by strtfghtr View Post
    Could you maybe give me an example of a filmmaker/filmmaking style that I can understand?
    Look on page 1, Lon lists a bunch of directors. Of those directors you know, if you were to list their "style", what they uniquely bring to film making, how many are going to be the things you mentioned (aside from writing, i agree with writing for the most part) versus, how much more detailed can you get? I feel like most of what you put forward is a technicality. Every director is going to have certain lighting they like or use of sounds, but thats not really creating for a notably unique style of art. What creates that is a combination of... nearly every aspect of them as a director/story teller, that gives them a "style" they can call their own, is unique, or even if not unique, they can own it.

Here, ill copy and paste the list.
    Quentin Tarantino
    Martin Scorsese
    Akira Kurosawa
    John Woo
    The Coen Brothers
    Tim Burton
    Sam Raimi
    Judd Apatow
    Robert Rodriguez
    Kevin Smith
    The Farrelly Brothers
    Paul WS Anderson
    George Romero

you get what im saying here right?
    I know if i asked you to describe these directors "styles" you would not be mentioning lighting or use of camera filters.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by El Ahrairah; 06-21-2018 at 01:44 PM.

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    1 Day Ago

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 265
    Given: 101
    When you watch a Rob Zombie movie, you know it's a Rob Zombie movie. The redneck, grindhouse, 70s vibe, the grungy, grainy look, the period soundtracks, his use of the same actors from film to film, his tendency to write all his dialogue as if spoken by vulgar, uncultured white trash, how he borrows from other films for his own (EVERY filmmaker does that, incidentally -- more on that in a minute). All those things constitute Zombie's style as a filmmaker. Not liking his style, or refusing to acknowledge it as a style at all, doesn't negate its existence.

Nodody's challenging anyone's right to dislike him (or at least I'm not, I haven't read every single post in this thread). What I and some others are challenging is how you guys are presenting your opinion as indisputable fact. If it were an indisputable fact that Rob Zombie is a bad filmmaker, then it stands to reason that NO ONE would like his films. But there are obviously those who do enjoy his films, so no, it's not an indisputable fact that he's a bad filmmaker.

As for style, every director's style is an amalgamation of all their own filmmaking influences. By their own admissions -- and it's evident when you see their films -- John Carpenter's style is a direct rip-off of his filmmaking hero, Howard Hawks; George Romero would never hesitate to admit that his style as a storyteller is a direct steal from EC comics and Richard Matheson; same for Stephen King; Quentin Tarantino routinely cites a massive variety of directors and writers that he steals from; the bulk of Dario Argento's horror and giallo work feature stories blatantly stolen from previous materials (such as essays and, on occasions, books he couldn't get the rights to) and other filmmakers. Even the first filmmakers stole their styles -- from stage directors. There's an old Hollywood adage that goes, "If you're going to steal, steal from the best." You know what isn't a Hollywood adage? "Don't steal, ever." And if it were an adage, clearly no one ever paid it any attention.

Now, if you wanted to argue that Zombie doesn't always rip off his heroes as well as some other directors, that I could understand, and I would see your point. I like him as a filmmaker but I'd be the first to admit he's made some real stinkers (namely 31 and Halloween 2, which both were among my most hated films in their years of release). But I could just as easily point you in the direction of a few directors who make Zombie look like a certifiable genius in comparison.

Last edited by Lon of the Dead; 06-21-2018 at 03:29 PM.

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    12-03-2018

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    I don't think anyone is saying that Zombie is not allowed to be a director who created his craft around others ideas. That's just the nature of everything.

And i dont think anyone is presenting this idea that anyone's opinion is right or wrong. Simply that by a reasonable standard its easy to say he has issues with say... character writing. Because he cant really seem to write any character who is not a complete scumbag.
    Or the apparent fact, that we can say he didnt make a name for himself in film making, he made a name for himself in music and for some reason that translated over to having a positive name in film making. But when i and many others look at his history of film making, we don't see anything above a 5 of 10, for the reasons many have gone ove rin this thread and the dozen threads we've had on the topic of Rob Zombie as a film maker.

"Now, if you wanted to argue that Zombie doesn't always rip off his heroes as well as some other directors, that I could understand, and I would see your point."

No.
    For me and only for me, when i see a Rob Zombie movie it seems that i can always figure out what he watched right before he decided to start writing his movie. How accurate i am with this prediction, i don't know.

At this point he's a bit like Adam Sandler for me.

I don't think anyone is saying that Zombie is not allowed to be a director who created his craft around others ideas. That's just the nature of everything.

And i dont think anyone is presenting this idea that anyone's opinion is right or wrong. Simply that by a reasonable standard its easy to say he has issues with say... character writing. Because he cant really seem to write any character who is not a complete scumbag.
    Or the apparent fact, that we can say he didnt make a name for himself in film making, he made a name for himself in music and for some reason that translated over to having a positive name in film making. But when i and many others look at his history of film making, we don't see anything above a 5 of 10, for the reasons many have gone ove rin this thread and the dozen threads we've had on the topic of Rob Zombie as a film maker.

"Now, if you wanted to argue that Zombie doesn't always rip off his heroes as well as some other directors, that I could understand, and I would see your point."

No.
    For me and only for me, when i see a Rob Zombie movie it seems that i can always figure out what he watched right before he decided to start writing his movie. How accurate i am with this prediction, i don't know.

At this point he's a bit like Adam Sandler for me.

Call me STRT or Street
    If someone asks if you are a
    god you say YES

Status
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Lon of the Dead View Post
    When you watch a Rob Zombie movie, you know it's a Rob Zombie movie. The redneck, grindhouse, 70s vibe, the grungy, grainy look, the period soundtracks, his use of the same actors from film to film, his tendency to write all his dialogue as if spoken by vulgar, uncultured white trash, how he borrows from other films for his own (EVERY filmmaker does that, incidentally -- more on that in a minute). All those things constitute Zombie's style as a filmmaker. Not liking his style, or refusing to acknowledge it as a style at all, doesn't negate its existence.
    Exactly this. You summed up my entire point here Lon.

And yes El, I would use lighting when discussing the styles of filmmakers like Kurosawa, Tim Burton or as mentioned above Howard Hawks as all of them used light to enhance aspects of various movies.

I'd use dialog when talking about styles of Tarantino, Smith or the Cohen Bros.

I'd use staging when describing styles of Tarantino, Raimi, Scorcese, Rodriguez, and Woo.

I'd use talk of pallets and saturation when talking about styles of filmmakers like Zombie, Zack Snyder, or Tim Burton.

Last edited by strtfghtr; 06-21-2018 at 03:59 PM.

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    12-03-2018

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up

And yes El, I would use lighting when discussing the styles of filmmakers like Kurosawa, Tim Burton or as mentioned above Howard Hawks as all of them used light to enhance aspects of various movies.

I'd use talk of pallets and saturation when talking about styles of filmmakers like Zombie, Zack Snyder, or Tim Burton.
    I mean... lighting and what not is worthy of discussion if its being done in a signature way.... but i dont feel that encompasses what a directors "style" would be.
    If you were to remove the bad character writing (dialog) from the two Halloween movies, id have no idea it was Zombie. There's hundreds if not thousands of directors who use very similar style of lighting and shadows and lenses, especially in the horror/thriller genera.

And i feel you're not really understanding what im saying about those other directors... maybe you are, i dont know.
    But my point is, i think both of us would have zero problems describing Zack Snyder or Tim Burton perfectly accurately, without even mentioning a saturation thats not rare to find in horror movies. If i wanted to describe Tim or Zack to someone who has never seen their work before but they wanted an idea of that directors "style" i would not need to include "saturation", just like if i had to describe JJ Abrams to someone who has never seen his work, i would never have to mention "lens flare". It does not tell us anything about that person as a writer/director aside from "there's a long flash on the screen every now and again". Its definitely a description of something within the movie, but i wouldn't consider it a descriptor to the writer or director because i could remove that or saturation and come up with the same description. You don't really understand a director better because of some detail like that.

Last edited by El Ahrairah; 06-21-2018 at 04:14 PM.

UHM's Arrogant Metal Head
    If anything is possible, is it
    possible for something to be
    impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Add DMHead777 on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 570
    Given: 1,294
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag DMHead777 PSN ID dmhead777 Steam ID whittem0re

Nodody's challenging anyone's right to dislike him (or at least I'm not, I haven't read every single post in this thread). What I and some others are challenging is how you guys are presenting your opinion as indisputable fact. If it were an indisputable fact that Rob Zombie is a bad filmmaker, then it stands to reason that NO ONE would like his films. But there are obviously those who do enjoy his films, so no, it's not an indisputable fact that he's a bad filmmaker.

As for style, every director's style is an amalgamation of all their own filmmaking influences. By their own admissions -- and it's evident when you see their films -- John Carpenter's style is a direct rip-off of his filmmaking hero, Howard Hawks; George Romero would never hesitate to admit that his style as a storyteller is a direct steal from EC comics and Richard Matheson; same for Stephen King; Quentin Tarantino routinely cites a massive variety of directors and writers that he steals from; the bulk of Dario Argento's horror and giallo work feature stories blatantly stolen from previous materials (such as essays and, on occasions, books he couldn't get the rights to) and other filmmakers. Even the first filmmakers stole their styles -- from stage directors. There's an old Hollywood adage that goes, "If you're going to steal, steal from the best." You know what isn't a Hollywood adage? "Don't steal, ever." And if it were an adage, clearly no one ever paid it any attention.

Now, if you wanted to argue that Zombie doesn't always rip off his heroes as well as some other directors, that I could understand, and I would see your point. I like him as a filmmaker but I'd be the first to admit he's made some real stinkers (namely 31 and Halloween 2, which both were among my most hated films in their years of release). But I could just as easily point you in the direction of a few directors who make Zombie look like a certifiable genius in comparison.
    Many filmmakers borrow from other films. Their influences are shown quite obviously in their movies, but every filmmaker? I would not go that far at all. Hate to take text so literally, but you capitalized "every" to make a point and no, they do not. I don't think anyone is saying they are 100% right. No one has said, "Your opinions are wrong." There are a lot of opinions in this topic, but that's the whole point of a forum.. yadda yadda

My original argument is that people are saying they can't understand why people would dislike Zombie. And I think that is a pretty silly statement. Just as you said that certain people can deny a style doesn't negate its existence, the same can be said if you flipped it. I think someone who is a movie buff in any form (and I mainly talk outside of horror) needs to look at all aspects of a film and a director. To completely side with positive or negative is just fanboyism to me. For example, people who blindly love Zombie's films because it's Rob Zombie or the viewers that hate on everything he does before watching it are the main problem. I'm not saying that particular fanboyism was present in this topic, but that's in general. To say, 'I don't get why Rob Zombie gets so much hate' shows a mild level of ignorance that I mainly seem in Rob Zombie topics.

Eh, I think stealing styles is a bit of a stretch. There are plenty of directors in the past that did something unique and new with the camera. If another filmmaker used that same technique, I wouldn't consider it stolen. Filmmaking will continue to evolve with ideas and trends from the past. With Zombie, he copies almost everything and passes it off as his own. I don't think his style is stolen, I just think his lack of talent shouldn't be considered a style.

I'd use dialog when talking about styles of Tarantino, Smith or the Cohen Bros.

I'd use staging when describing styles of Tarantino, Raimi, Scorcese, Rodriguez, and Woo.

As I said previously, these directors made that their own. Despite what they were borrowing from. Despite what past films they were stealing from, those directors have natural talent in which they can take all of that, or any of those characteristics and make it their own.

Those directors you mentioned don't just have one style they stick with. Tarantino has the 70s feel in almost all of his films. Combine that with his expertly written dialogue, his camera techniques and the level of talent he gets in each film, I would consider that a certain style. It's not just present in a couple of his films, it's present in all of his films. Scorcese, Woo, Raimi, everyone you mentioned has a distinct style they almost always stick to.

Rob Zombie? You said it yourself that his camerawork is all over the place. His color pallets change constantly from film to film. His first few movies were dull as fuck looking. Then as he got bigger budgets his colors changed drastically. He became a great cinematographer, but nothing is the same in his movies to call it a style at all. He reuses actors and has horribly written dialogue. I have seen countless films that have those two qualities, and multiple films by the same director. His lighting is the same thing. For house, his lighting was super dark, then DR was a little brighter, Lords was darker again, Halloween films were brighter and more Autumn-y, and 31 was shot in a fucking warehouse. Nothing is consistent with this man besides dialogue and white trash characters. Those two things, by themselves, does not scream "style" to me.

Last edited by DMHead777; 06-21-2018 at 04:15 PM.

Call me STRT or Street
    god you say YES

Status
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

It's ok you can just say it...repeat after me.

"Rob Zombie has his own style of filmmaking (mostly dialog) but I don't like it. I was wrong, Strtfghtr was right and he's so much handsomer than me"

Go ahead.

impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

"Rob Zombie has his own style of filmmaking (mostly dialog) but I don't like it
    Well when you actually form a proper point to your argument that isn't flawed, maybe people could start thinking that

Call me STRT or Street
    god you say YES

Status
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by DMHead777 View Post
    Well when you actually form a proper point to your argument that isn't flawed, maybe people could start thinking that
    Ahem...where's the rest of the quote...

impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Strtfghtr was right and he's so much handsomer than me
    We already can tell this is how you normally think, so it's not new

Call me STRT or Street
    god you say YES

Status
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Ok I'm going to try another method.

If you watched a random movie, could you make one of the following assessments:

"This movie is like a Rob Zombie film"
    "This movie isn't anything like a Rob Zombie film."

If you agree that you can make one of those assessments then that means that there is something to be like a Rob Zombie film, and thus a Rob Zombie film has some sort of style (for the better or worse).

impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

As I said previously, these directors made that their own. Despite what they were borrowing from. Despite what past films they were stealing from, those directors have natural talent in which they can take all of that, or any of those characteristics and make it their own.

Those directors you mentioned don't just have one style they stick with. Tarantino has the 70s feel in almost all of his films. Combine that with his expertly written dialogue, his camera techniques and the level of talent he gets in each film, I would consider that a certain style. It's not just present in a couple of his films, it's present in all of his films. Scorcese, Woo, Raimi, everyone you mentioned has a distinct style they almost always stick to.

Rob Zombie? You said it yourself that his camerawork is all over the place. His color pallets change constantly from film to film. His first few movies were dull as fuck looking. Then as he got bigger budgets his colors changed drastically. He became a great cinematographer, but nothing is the same in his movies to call it a style at all. He reuses actors and has horribly written dialogue. I have seen countless films that have those two qualities, and multiple films by the same director. His lighting is the same thing. For house, his lighting was super dark, then DR was a little brighter, Lords was darker again, Halloween films were brighter and more Autumn-y, and 31 was shot in a fucking warehouse. Nothing is consistent with this man besides dialogue and white trash characters. Those two things, by themselves, does not scream "style" to me.
    You still haven't responded to any of that, but okay, if you want to cherry pick I'll play along.

Ok I'm going to try another method.

If you watched a random movie, could you make one of the following assessments:

"This movie is like a Rob Zombie film"
    "This movie isn't anything like a Rob Zombie film."

If you agree that you can make one of those assessments then that means that there is something to be like a Rob Zombie film, and thus a Rob Zombie film has some sort of style (for the better or worse).
    You mean like Texas Chainsaw Massacre? Hate to break it to you Strt, but if you showed a random person on the street clips of both movies, it would take little effort to convince them Texas Chainsaw Massacre and House of 1k Corpses was the same film. By your logic, Texas Chainsaw Massacre is a Rob Zombie film. They share so many characteristics, it's not even worth the effort to go into detail about.

Same thing goes for Lords of Salem which..is your typical 70s witch film that I have seen loads of times. The remakes he has done? You mean, remaking a film seems like a Rob Zombie movie? Those movies don't scream Rob Zombie because there aren't white trash characters. They just have shit dialogue.

The man doesn't have a consistent style to even bring up "Is this like a Rob Zombie movie?"

Call me STRT or Street
    god you say YES

Status
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

You mean, remaking a film seems like a Rob Zombie movie? Those movies don't scream Rob Zombie because there aren't white trash characters. They just have shit dialogue.
    Are you seriously saying that The Meyers family isnt white trash in his Halloween remake? The unemployed fater? The STRIPPER mother. The foul mouthed slut sister?

And in H2 are you saying that Laurie didn't turn into white trash? The sleazy strip club owner/worker weren't white trash?

Com on man you're better than that. They are all 100% white trash.

impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Are you seriously saying that The Meyers family isnt white trash in his Halloween remake? The unemployed fater? The STRIPPER mother. The foul mouthed slut sister?
    Which was only present in the first like 10 minutes. If I recall correctly

And in H2 are you saying that Laurie didn't turn into white trash? The sleazy strip club owner/worker weren't white trash?
    Which..wasn't a huge part of the movie.

You're saying that those two minor instances of each film clarifies that they are Rob Zombie films? And to the same character?

Edit: I'll edit this since you haven't responded yet. I do want to correct myself that in the first Halloween, the whole stripper mother, shitty father etc. probably goes on a lot longer than ten minutes. Be that as it may, it is still a very very minor detail in comparison to the rest of the movie. To me, it was just a reason to get his wife in there. I wouldn't really call either instance a Rob Zombie stamp because both movies don't feel like his at all, besides his wife in those scenes. He's not a good enough of a film maker in my opinion. I see his wife and obviously see that it was directed by him, but I can't agree that the entire film feels like it's his based on those minor scenes alone. If I caught one of them on TV, and hadn't seen it before, I could think anyone was directing them. Especially the sequel which is probably the most experimental shit he's done.

Carpenter, Snyder, Cronenberg, Alexandre Aja, can make remakes their own style. Zombie can't, because he lacks one.

Last edited by DMHead777; 06-21-2018 at 04:53 PM.

Call me STRT or Street
    god you say YES

Status
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

You still haven't responded to any of that, but okay, if you want to cherry pick I'll play along.
    Yeah i didn't respond because most of it was nonsense unrelated to my argument that Rob zombie has a style. but i'll do it here just for you because I know you love my thoughts.
    So you're saying he Halloween remakes were just like the originals and weren't "rob Zombied" at all? You're saying House of 1k wasn't a "Rob Zombied" version of Texas chainsaw?

Firstly, I wasn't the one to bring up other directors in regards to Rob's style so this has no place here. Secondly, it's nearly incoherent. First you say those directors have more than one style, then you say Tarantino has one style in most of his films, then you say Scorcese, Woo, and Raimi have one style. I disagree with Scorcese and Raimi, they have a nice varried filmography and both are excellent story tellers. Woo sucks but that's only based on his American films.

I agree on the camerawork statement...no need to bring it back up. When I said paletes I really should have said color saturation, he always desaturates his movies to keep the colors muted, this is especially present in the Halloweens which the first one has a blue-orange pallet but is so desaturated it looks almost gray and brown. Then you say nothing stays the same. then you say the actors stay the same and the dialog style stays the same. I'm just going to disagree with you on the lighting (except 31 as i havent seen it) I think he maintains a softer lighting in most of his movies.

Call me STRT or Street
    god you say YES

Status
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Which was only present in the first like 10 minutes. If I recall correctly

Which..wasn't a huge part of the movie.

You're saying that those two minor instances of each film clarifies that they are Rob Zombie films? And to the same character?

Edit: I'll edit this since you haven't responded yet. I do want to correct myself that in the first Halloween, the whole stripper mother, shitty father etc. probably goes on a lot longer than ten minutes. Be that as it may, it is still a very very minor detail in comparison to the rest of the movie. To me, it was just a reason to get his wife in there. I wouldn't really call either instance a Rob Zombie stamp because both movies don't feel like his at all, besides his wife in those scenes. He's not a good enough of a film maker in my opinion. I see his wife and obviously see that it was directed by him, but I can't agree that the entire film feels like it's his based on those minor scenes alone. If I caught one of them on TV, and hadn't seen it before, I could think anyone was directing them. Especially the sequel which is probably the most experimental shit he's done.

Carpenter, Snyder, Cronenberg, Alexandre Aja, can make remakes their own style. Zombie can't, because he lacks one.
    So you are saying that Rob Zombie DIDN'T write his characters as white trash in the two Halloween films? You have to be fucking with me now.

El even you have to back me up on this one.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Yeah i didn't respond because most of it was nonsense unrelated to my argument that Rob zombie has a style. but i'll do it here just for you because I know you love my thoughts.
    Not nonsense at all. I mainly compared directors which you initially brought up. But nice try though . Can't compare the greats to this hack

So you're saying he Halloween remakes were just like the originals and weren't "rob Zombied" at all? You're saying House of 1k wasn't a "Rob Zombied" version of Texas chainsaw?
    They were just like the originals, just foul mouthed and had minor instances of unnecessary trashy backstory. Any film maker could have done that. I don't think Zombie is the only one to say, "hmm, Michael probably came from a fucked up child home". Oh, he also had his wife in there. I CAN SEE HIM ACCEPTING HIS ACADEMY AWARD NOW

I think House of 1K Corpses was more of a remake, but brought in that classic White Zombie live stage show to it. If we're talking Rob Zombie's music, then yes he has a definite style to that. I think that film has more of his musical style than any sort of film style.

Firstly, I wasn't the one to bring up other directors in regards to Rob's style so this has no place here. Secondly, it's nearly incoherent. First you say those directors have more than one style, then you say Tarantino has one style in most of his films, then you say Scorcese, Woo, and Raimi have one style. I disagree with Scorcese and Raimi, they have a nice varried filmography and both are excellent story tellers. Woo sucks but that's only based on his American films.
    lol incoherent? You couldn't read it? Please Strt, when your pretentiousness comes out, it fucking rains doesn't it? And what I said was

Tarantino has the 70s feel in almost all of his films. Combine that with his expertly written dialogue, his camera techniques and the level of talent he gets in each film, I would consider that a certain style.
    Multiple aspects leads up to that style of Tarantino. The guy can make films set in the 1800s feel like a 70s film. That's because the man's film making is borderline brilliant. He brings so much to every one of his films. If I said that Tarantino only has one style, I was mistaken, because I meant he has all these little aspects mixed into one gigantic style of his. To your average director, like Zombie, he can only take one of those things and run with it in some of his films. Tarantino can use all of those characters in each film, because he's a master at doing so.

I agree on the camerawork statement...no need to bring it back up.
    Aw man, shut the thread down then!

Then you say nothing stays the same. then you say the actors stay the same and the dialog style stays the same.
    Right..his movies don't stay the same besides his non-talented wife and the horrible dialogue. Is this, like, a new eye opening experience for you?

I'm just going to disagree with you on the lighting (except 31 as i havent seen it) I think he maintains a softer lighting in most of his movies.
    That custom made Rob Zombie STYLE!

So you are saying that Rob Zombie DIDN'T write his characters as white trash in the two Halloween films? You have to be fucking with me now.

El even you have to back me up on this one.
    lol why do you need backup? I'm talking to you here, not El. Do you always look for backup to justify normal horror movie opinions? Didn't think so

I never said there weren't white trash moments in those films. I said that they weren't big enough to make the entire film to be branded a Rob Zombie film. Those scenes were suuuper small compared to the rest of the film. All of those scenes just took place in the house, which is like 1/12th of the overall movie? In the second film I wouldn't call Laurie white trash really? I just think she is kind of shook from the events of the first film. But I did only see the film once. I still wouldn't consider it his worst though. I give him credit, and I think I did on the podcast too, that he was really experimental with it. Which I wish he did more in his films.

Why do I feel like I keep repeating myself here? Are you going to keep responding until I agree with you? Because that's not going to happen. Sorry if I am an rz hattrrrr in your eyes.

But I think I'm done explaining myself in this thread for tonight. I keep repeating the same shit over and over and it's getting more bland than the upcoming 3 From Hell script. I think I conveyed my opinions enough to warrant me a leave from the multiple quoting. If it makes you feel any better though Strt....well, I think you're still wrong.

Last edited by DMHead777; 06-21-2018 at 05:23 PM.

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    1 Day Ago

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 265
    Given: 101
    Sorry to break your post down into segments, but there are a couple points you touched upon which I think warrant more attention:

Many filmmakers borrow from other films. Their influences are shown quite obviously in their movies, but every filmmaker? I would not go that far at all.
    I would. No one enters filmmaking from a vacuum. But that goes for pretty much any artist. Painters, musicians, writers, you name it. They get into their chosen field because they saw something, read something, heard something that touched them, caught their attention, compelled them to want to do the same thing. More simply put, we copy our heroes. Some filmmakers try to apply their own spin to what they've taken from their influences, some are content to simply copy and paste. But they're still stealing from their influences. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, though. I can watch a Tarantino flick and still enjoy the hell out of it despite being able to pinpoint exact movies he stole a given moment from.

...people who blindly love Zombie's films because it's Rob Zombie or the viewers that hate on everything he does before watching it are the main problem.
    This is what it's all about, and this is exactly what drew me into this conversation in the first place. I agree, blind haters/blind loyalists are the problem -- and I felt I was seeing a lot of blind hate in this thread. I felt this was especially exemplified by him being disparaged for doing the same thing many other directors do. I think I said previously in this thread (or it may have been some other, I don't recall) that I'm a Zombie fan, but I'm no loyalist. I like some but not all of his music, some but not all of his films. And I'm not at all trying to say that no one is allowed to dislike him. I'm saying that if someone dislikes him, it makes no sense for it to be for things that so many other directors also do, yet catch no flack for themselves. That, along with adamant insistence that he has no style, talent or ability at all, in any regard, period, shouts "blind hatred" to me. Hell, I hate Eli Roth with a fucking passion and have yet to really like any film of his that I've seen, but even I think he has actual ability as a director and a good cinematic eye.

impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

This is what it's all about, and this is exactly what drew me into this conversation in the first place. I agree, blind haters/blind loyalists are the problem -- and I felt I was seeing a lot of blind hate in this thread. I felt this was especially exemplified by him being disparaged for doing the same thing many other directors do. I think I said previously in this thread (or it may have been some other, I don't recall) that I'm a Zombie fan, but I'm no loyalist. I like some but not all of his music, some but not all of his films. And I'm not at all trying to say that no one is allowed to dislike him. I'm saying that if someone dislikes him, it makes no sense for it to be for things that so many other directors also do, yet catch no flack for themselves. That, along with adamant insistence that he has no style, talent or ability at all, in any regard, period, shouts "blind hatred" to me. Hell, I hate Eli Roth with a fucking passion and have yet to really like any film of his that I've seen, but even I think he has actual ability as a director and a good cinematic eye.
    Completely agreed. I may dislike Zombie's film making, but I will always say that he is a great cinematographer. Can't say the dude is completely talent-less. He just makes really questionable choices in his movies. This whole thread boils down to opinions. And I think as a director/writer, there is absolutely no talent there. Other aspects of his movie career? Like, how he can put great soundtracks in his films and how he can make scenes pop is his music video experience coming into play. I think that's what really shines.

I'm secretly hoping he makes a movie with a tone of House of 1K Corpses again. To me, that is his most visually appealing film. It had everything I loved about his White Zombie/first two Rob Zombie albums. If he stuck with what he knew, I could definitely say he would have a great style. There is so much cool shit in his live performances and his album artwork is/used to be great. The entirety of House of 1K corpses felt like a White Zombie music video to me.

That movie is super nostalgic for me. It was such a huge deal for me when it came out because at the time Rob Zombie was one of my favorite bands. At the same time, and me growing into horror more, seeing Texas Chainsaw Massacre kind of ruined the movie a bit for me. On one hand it provides great memories, but on the other hand..it's such a ripoff in a lot of ways. Sure sure sure, it's an "homage", but I think it borrows waaaay too heavily from it.

Then DR came out and I liked that movie a lot, but for different reasons. Wasn't as interesting visually as House, but it was made a lot better and the performances were fantastic. Then, I don't know, he fell off the wagon for me a lot. Started getting a huge ego and his choices began to be questioned by me. If he just stuck with what he knew and didn't want to put his little stamp on everything, I would have loved his movie career a lot more. I'd love for 3 From Hell to be a return to his experimental film maker stage, but somehow I think that's long gone. I want to see more weird shit like with what he did with Halloween 2. As goofy as it was, it actually interested me a lot. It was so out of left field that I wanted more of what he was smoking.

Last edited by DMHead777; 06-21-2018 at 10:45 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast