Threads
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Follow strtfghtr On Twitter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 727
    Given: 363
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID EataFat1 Steam ID strtfghtr Wii Code something...

Gamestop

So I'm normally one to avoid gamestop at all costs. Most of my game purchases are digital now and on the rare occasion that I want a physical copy (usually on the Switch) I hop onto Amazon and order it since many get a prime discount. Also, in the past Gamestop has always been an annoying encounter with the clerks trying to push their stupid store rewards cards or prepurchasing games I'm not interested in ("Hey did you pre order the new call of duty yet?"...uh I'm buying an RPG) or just general assholishness.

All that being said, I actually had a nice trip to gamestop today. I wanted to order a copy of the Megaman Legacy Collections for Switch since amazon isnt taking pre-orders anymore, and I stopped in and found the guy working to be friendly, not pushy at all, and wanting to have a genuine discussion about games. He didn't push preorders (other than asking about the megaman x collection...a reasonable guess but i already have that coming from amazon) and didn't try to push the rewards program. We just talked classic gaming, talked about the new God of War and how neither of us have a PS4 so we both watch reviews and footage online, and then about how absurd the classic games market has become in recent years.

It reminded me of a simpler time in high school when the only people that worked at a gamestop or EB Games were gamers themselves and actually liked conversing with customers.

Has gamestop changed for the better or did I just get one guy that was sick of reading his corporate "to-do" list and decided instead to shoot the shit with a customer on a slow day?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

All You Need is Blood - The Official UHM Horror Podcast

https://soundcloud.com/allyouneedisblood

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow FrighT MasteR On Twitter Add FrighT MasteR on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 879
    Given: 134
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID frightie Steam ID frightie
    I think it just depends on the person working and the time of day it is, I've never had any issues personally, but I notice when there's few customers that the clerks tends to be more helpful and friendly

Resident Omega
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 278
    Given: 107
    Quote Originally Posted by FrighT MasteR View Post
    I think it just depends on the person working and the time of day it is, I've never had any issues personally, but I notice when there's few customers that the clerks tends to be more helpful and friendly
    My experience has been this.

Been friends for years with one of the workers at one of our 2 stores so I chat it up with them when i'm there, and usually get somewhat of a priority and inside scoop here and there.

UHM's Arrogant Metal Head
    If anything is possible, is it
    possible for something to be
    impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Add DMHead777 on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 570
    Given: 1,294
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag DMHead777 PSN ID dmhead777 Steam ID whittem0re
    Also never had any issues. I have about four or five gamestops in a few mile radius of me and they all have decent people working there. I get one or two that gave me a problem, but it's a retail store, you're going to get that. I never walked into a Gamestop and had someone push their sales down my throat, in the many many years I have been going there. Never once did they ever ask me more than once if I wanted something. I'm not ignorant to the fact that they work at a place where the higher ups demand them to try and sell stuff.

Them - "Would you be interested in the monthly magazine?"
    Me - "Nah, I'm okay.
    Them - "Care to sign up for the rewards card?"
    Me - "Nope, I'm okay.
    Them - "Okay, you're total is.."

I mainly shop online now, and never sell games anymore, but when I pass by a Gamestop I sometimes go in there to see what they have. Sometimes they have great sales. Val has a power ups reward

Quote Originally Posted by strtfghtr View Post
    It reminded me of a simpler time in high school when the only people that worked at a gamestop or EB Games were gamers themselves and actually liked conversing with customers.
    Probably depends on the location and people working, but once again it's a retail store. You'll have employees being excited for the stuff they are selling and you'll have people dreading to go to work that day. Gamestop is no different than a Home Depot or a Target.

Overall, it's a fine store that has its place. Sometimes it's convenient to pop in and see what deals they have, but if it's crowded I usually stay away. I don't think anyone should look into it further because every place is going to have it's good and bad employees. Kind of silly to put Gamestop on a different pedestal than other retail stores.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    13 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow Macready On Twitter Add Macready on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 547
    Given: 210
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    I love my Gamestop. I know all the associates after all these years and we tend to get caught up in bullshitting quite a bit. The asking of questions like the magazine and preorders is all part of the corporate "This is my job." Part of things. I actually go in there just to talk games at times with no intention of buying anything.

The tranquility of night hides many malevolent things taking place under a stunning, mysterious sky pocked with precious gems of light. -GP

Published writer in Fantastic Horror, Volumes 1,2, and 5. Currently working on my first two novels!

Call me STRT or Street
    If someone asks if you are a
    god you say YES

Status
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Follow strtfghtr On Twitter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 727
    Given: 363
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID EataFat1 Steam ID strtfghtr Wii Code something...
    Quote Originally Posted by DMHead777 View Post
    Kind of silly to put Gamestop on a different pedestal than other retail stores.
    I admit, I don't go to gamestops often and it had more to do with their annoying practices (like when back in the day Radioshack would ask for your phone number if you wanted to buy batteries).

My "normal" game stores are a couple used game shops that don't have any corporate BS and anyone there is just looking for a chat about games or movies (also where I get a ton of my used movies)

I was pleasantly surprised, I'll have to return to gamestop more often.

All You Need is Blood - The Official UHM Horror Podcast

https://soundcloud.com/allyouneedisblood

Resident Omega
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 278
    Given: 107
    Quote Originally Posted by strtfghtr View Post
    I was pleasantly surprised, I'll have to return to gamestop more often.
    It really is probably more of an employee rotational - location - time of day kind of thing. When you think about it though the same can be said for most places I guess. Even before a friend worked there I never had any issues that were memorable anyway.

If only the same could be said for Best Buy. I mean when it comes to the policy pushing, overbearing, hawk looming, sales pitching worker drones of BB; you begin to see the true evil in this universe of corporatocracy.

“Yes. Of course Gamestop was only a puppet. It’s really BB that I need to kill (avoid)”

+ Reply to Thread