Status
    Last Online
    09-16-2021

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 124

what are some surprising B and horror films siskel and ebert liked that surprised you

I recently saw an old clip where they were talking about Carnosaur Siskel to my astonishment really enjoyed it for it's absurdity and praised it for it's goofiness. There was also a clip where they liked critters or at least one of them did. Also Siskel enjoyed Shocker I didn't care for it at all but he said he gave it a marginal thumbs up. Roger Ebert liked Candyman thought it was a great grounded horror film while siskel liked parts of it. Ebert also wrote a three star review for devils rejects and later got flak from some people because he liked it. What other ones surprised you?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Faust; 10-20-2018 at 07:18 PM.

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    4 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 265
    Given: 101
    I recently commented on an article on Ebert.com that Roger was often wrongly accused of being anti-horror, based almost entirely on an episode of At the Movies he and Siskel did about "women in peril" movies (or what we fans call slasher movies). Neither had any love for slasher flicks back in the day, but Ebert was the one of the very first, and very few, major, mainstream film critics who wouldn't hesitate to praise a horror film he felt genuinely deserved it. Some horror films he gave stellar reviews to were Psycho, Halloween, Dawn of the Dead and Night of the Living Dead (actually his Night review was more a response to the horrified audience's reaction; years later he gave it a proper review and rated it 3 and 1/2 stars).

Siskel, on the other hand, was a bit of an odd duck when it came to horror movies. In most cases he portrayed a clear bias against them; in others, he improbably gave positive reviews to a number of films so mediocre even the most forgiving genre fan wouldn't bother sitting all the way through. As such, I never really paid attention to Siskel's horror reviews. But he did have great taste in indie drama flicks.

Anyway, here are some other horror flicks I recall Ebert giving positive reviews to. Some of them he even included in his elite "Great Movies" category.

The Relic
    Scream 1 and 2
    Anaconda
    The Devil's Rejects
    Motel Hell
    Evil Dead 2 (I don't think he reviewed the first one)
    Re-Animator
    Childs Play
    Fright Night
    Peeping Tom
    Psycho III
    The Blair Witch Project
    Alien
    The Silence of the Lambs
    Dead Rising
    Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
    Last House on the Left (original)
    Dawn of the Dead '04
    Friday the 13th '09 (oddly, he bombed the two or three flicks he reviewed from the original series)
    The Dead Zone
    Rosemary's Baby
    Don't Look Now
    Carrie

There are tons more but these are the first to immediately spring to mind.

Last edited by Lon of the Dead; 10-20-2018 at 08:39 PM.

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    09-16-2021

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 124
    Cool thanks for that list I been going back and watching some of their reviews on youtube. There is a Evil Dead review on their and they both kinda gave mixed reactions to it, Anaconda is a pretty sweet jungle adventure film. I did not know he reviewed Friday the 13th 09 will have to check out his review

Last edited by Faust; 10-20-2018 at 08:55 PM.

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    09-15-2020

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Worried
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0
    He said that Friday the 13th '09 was the best one they could possibly make.

+ Reply to Thread