01-07-2013

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Blah
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Dawn of the Dead is maybe slightly overrated. I would absolutely put it in any top 10 list, but I just tend to be more of a NOTLD fan. Shaun of the Dead is also a bit overrated IMO. It's hilarious, and one of the best horror films of the decade, but not one of the best of all-time like so many people say it is.
    I would NEVER call The Exorcist overrated. The scariest film of all-time? Historically, maybe, but overall it didn't scare me too much. But nevertheless it's one of the best of the '70s. It is a true classic.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Baron Blood
    Eater of rabies infected meat
    pies

Status
    Last Online
    02-13-2014

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 7
    I'm also more of a Night of the Living Dead fan. I also prefer Day of the Dead to Dawn.

Whilst I do like The Exorcist and recognise its historical importance within the genre, it's never been one of my favourites and would never make the top 10.

UHM's Arrogant Metal Head
    If anything is possible, is it
    possible for something to be
    impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    12 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Add DMHead777 on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 570
    Given: 1,294
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag DMHead777 PSN ID dmhead777 Steam ID whittem0re
    Exorcist is far from over rated as well. Sure it has some horrid pacing issues in the beginning of the film, but it's one of the scariest movies of all time. My mother still can't even hear the theme music (my ring tone) without shivering. She saw it in the theater when it came out and it completely fucked her up and still does now. Any movie that can still dangerously freak people out 40 god damn years after it was released is a true horror flick in my book.

Rotting Zealot
    blowin' heads up

Status
    Last Online
    08-30-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 134
    Given: 433
    Booya, well said.

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    19 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow Macready On Twitter Add Macready on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 547
    Given: 210
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    Quote Originally Posted by DMHead777 View Post
    Exorcist is far from over rated as well. Sure it has some horrid pacing issues in the beginning of the film, but it's one of the scariest movies of all time. My mother still can't even hear the theme music (my ring tone) without shivering. She saw it in the theater when it came out and it completely fucked her up and still does now. Any movie that can still dangerously freak people out 40 god damn years after it was released is a true horror flick in my book.
    My father actually has pictures of churches back when it was originally released in 1973 with lines that went around the block because of that movie. That is outrageous!

The tranquility of night hides many malevolent things taking place under a stunning, mysterious sky pocked with precious gems of light. -GP

Published writer in Fantastic Horror, Volumes 1,2, and 5. Currently working on my first two novels!

Mrs. UHM
    Nothing to Report

Status
    Last Online
    10-31-2023

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Follow Jen On Twitter Add Jen on Facebook
    Visit Jen's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 3
    Well said dm

Rotting Member
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    01-07-2013

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Blah
    Thumbs Up
    Overrated:
    Scream. That's the shit I can't stand.

Underrated:
    The Collector
    Prometheus

impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    12 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Prometheus gets so much hate, but I absolutely loved it.

Rotting Member
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    01-07-2013

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Blah
    Thumbs Up
    Same. When I first watched it I gave it 10/10. I don't like it as much as I used to, but I hate it when people nitpick plot holes just for the sake of nitpicking plot holes.

Rotting Zealot
    "I do not see why man
    should not be just as cruel as
    nature." - Adolf Hitler

Status
    Last Online
    06-16-2015

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Angry
    Add Oxley on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 2
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag General 0x
    Quote Originally Posted by Edo View Post
    Dawn of the Dead is maybe slightly overrated
    Waaay overrated

Agreed. Although I wouldn't class it as scary (in general) today, but there is NO denying it is a wonderfully made film. The characters really grow on you, Regan is so nice and sweet, and then it just tears your heart out without as much as a cheap dinner before hand. Wonderfully shot film. I don't watch it very often, once every one or two years, sometimes more. Just so it doesn't lose it's impact.

With EASE the best movie to come out of the US since the year 2000.

"Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side, which he never shows to anybody. If, he can help it."
    -- Mark Twain

KillKaylaDead: Even your body looks like it was hand crafted by the gods.

UHM's Female Prisoner
    is singing her Grudge Song.

Status
    Last Online
    03-28-2018

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxley View Post
    Waaay overrated

Overrated - 'Zombie' (1979).

Last edited by Scorpion_#701; 11-30-2012 at 03:59 AM.

Baron Blood
    pies

Status
    Last Online
    02-13-2014

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Edo View Post
    Overrated:
    Scream. That's the shit I can't stand.
    Agreed.

I've yet to see Prometheus - keep meaning to get around to it.

Baron Blood
    pies

Status
    Last Online
    02-13-2014

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveJ.W View Post
    I'd put this on equal ground with Dawn of the Dead. Whilst I prefer the characters (in most respects) in Dawn, the effects works and suspense is much better handled in Zombie. Both films are pretty over-rated though.

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    19 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    Underrated: Deep Rising. Damn, this is a fun movie!

Overrated: Prince of Darkness, Carrie

The tranquility of night hides many malevolent things taking place under a stunning, mysterious sky pocked with precious gems of light. -GP

Published writer in Fantastic Horror, Volumes 1,2, and 5. Currently working on my first two novels!

UHM's Female Prisoner

Status
    Last Online
    03-28-2018

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by I_Drink_Your_Blood View Post
    I'd put this on equal ground with Dawn of the Dead. Whilst I prefer the characters (in most respects) in Dawn, the effects works and suspense is much better handled in Zombie. Both films are pretty over-rated though.
    I find 'Dawn' to be a profound cinematic experience. While I could possibly agree with you about the SFX work being better in 'Zombie' the suspense is terrible though. Lucio Fulci didn't have a clue about traditional horror cinema. The solid COTLD and the brilliant 'The Beyond' are the only worthwhile efforts in his outright horror filmography and that's mostly only because of the power of their imagery. He was better suited to the giallo genre where he had his very best moments as a director.

Quote Originally Posted by Macready View Post
    Overrated: Prince of Darkness, Carrie
    'Prince of Darkness' isn't that highly rated at all. It's a damn good film that deserves more love IMO. And 'Carrie' is one of the few King adaptations along with 'Misery' that is regarded as actually being better than the novel. Even by the man himself.

Last edited by Scorpion_#701; 11-30-2012 at 07:40 AM.

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    19 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    I find 'Dawn' to be a profound cinematic experience. While I could possibly agree with you about the SFX work being better in 'Zombie' the suspense is terrible though. Lucio Fulci didn't have a clue about traditional horror cinema. The solid COTLD and the brilliant 'The Beyond' are the only worthwhile efforts in his outright horror filmography and that's mostly only because of the power of their imagery. He was better suited to the giallo genre where he had his very best moments as a director.

'Prince of Darkness' isn't that highly rated at all. It's a damn good film that deserves more love IMO. And 'Carrie' is one of the few King adaptations along with 'Misery' that is regarded as actually being better than the novel. Even by the man himself.
    I see it differently. Prince of Darkness is a good premise that turns into a 100% WTF cheese-fest. It's a decent watch at best, something I wouldn't praise.

Even if "The Man" himself likes Carrie I don't think I'm in the minority that thinks it is an absolute bore and very hard to sit through. I have mentioned in another thread here that although I have seen the entire film, it has never been from start to finish in one sitting or in exact sequence. I had often when trying to watch it.

Baron Blood
    pies

Status
    Last Online
    02-13-2014

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Thumbs Up
    The first time that I watched Zombie, I found the scene where the zombies rise from their shallow graves in the woodland clearing to be pretty suspenseful stuff - much better than anything that I'd seen in Dawn. However, I think Frizzi's eerily appropriate score had a lot to do with it. Ditto the eyeball impalement (only lasts seconds but it felt like minutes when watching it for the first time).

Overall, I feel that Fulci is very good at envisioning ideas for, and directing small scenes or set pieces, but often has trouble cognitively linking them together, meaning that sometimes (in the case of Zombie in particular) the suspense is lost in the transition.

I definitely agree with you in regards to The Beyond and City being better though. I'm also a big fan of Fulci's gialli; A Lizard in a Woman's Skin is my favourite Fulci film.

'Prince of Darkness' isn't that highly rated at all. It's a damn good film that deserves more love IMO.
    Agreed. In my experience, POD doesn't get rated very highly at all, and it is indeed a damn good film.

Also, as we're talking under-rated Carpenter, I'll throw In the Mouth of Madness into the mix.

And 'Carrie' is one of the few King adaptations along with 'Misery' that is regarded as actually being better than the novel. Even by the man himself.
    Aside from some great performances and that shock dream sequence ending, I much prefer the King novel. It goes into much more detail in regards to Carrie and her mother's relationship, and also Carrie's post prom rampage. Something I think the film glosses over.

Last edited by I_Drink_Your_Blood; 11-30-2012 at 08:12 AM.

UHM's Female Prisoner

Status
    Last Online
    03-28-2018

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by I_Drink_Your_Blood View Post
    The first time that I watched Zombie, I found the scene where the zombies rise from their shallow graves in the woodland clearing to be pretty suspenseful stuff - much better than anything that I'd seen in Dawn. However, I think Frizzi's eerily appropriate score had a lot to do with it. Ditto the eyeball impalement (only lasts seconds but it felt like minutes when watching it for the first time).
    Frizzi's score is one of the very best things about 'Zombie'. It helps to enhance the film's atmosphere. That whole sequence with the eyeball impalement is very well executed. But, it's like what you say here...

Overall, I feel that Fulci is very good at envisioning ideas for, and directing small scenes or set pieces, but often has trouble cognitively linking them together, meaning that sometimes (in the case of Zombie in particular) the suspense is lost in the transition.
    You're exactly right. Dead on.

I definitely agree with you in regards to The Beyond and City being better though. I'm also a big fan of Fulci's gialli; A Lizard in a Woman's Skin is my favourite Fulci film.
    ALIAWS is brilliant. 'Don't Torture a Duckling' is my absolute favourite giallo of his.

Agreed. In my experience, POD doesn't get rated very highly at all, and it is indeed a damn good film.

Also, as we're talking under-rated Carpenter, I'll throw In the Mouth of Madness into the mix.

POD was one of my favourite JC films as a kid, and ITMOM easily ranks up there with his 80's heyday.

Aside from some great performances and that shock dream sequence ending, I much prefer the King novel. It goes into much more detail in regards to Carrie and her mother's relationship, and also Carrie's post prom rampage. Something I think the film glosses over.
    As a stand alone film I think 'Carrie' is a very fine piece work.

Last edited by Scorpion_#701; 11-30-2012 at 09:14 AM.

Rotting Member
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    01-07-2013

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Blah
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxley View Post
    That's actually pretty much what I said when I first saw it. I struggle to think of anything since 2000 that was better.

impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    12 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

This is like..the ONLY good Fulci film. Can't really stand, or understand for that matter, any of his flicks. The wood on the door to the eye is an amazing horror moment though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast