Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 310
    Given: 94
    I personally love the film and find it a masterpiece, but boring at times.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Wake up sucker, we're thieves and we're bad guys. That's exactly what we are."

Resident Omega
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 278
    Given: 107
    Quote Originally Posted by koolmike View Post
    I personally love the film and find it a masterpiece, but boring at times.
    agreed on both.

at times it's a bit like Leones' Once Upon A Time in the West... just substitute the periodic drawn out shots of windmills, sage bushes, and the like with outerspace panorama, interstellar vehicles, etc... etc...

Call me STRT or Street
    If someone asks if you are a
    god you say YES

Status
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Follow strtfghtr On Twitter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 727
    Given: 363
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID EataFat1 Steam ID strtfghtr Wii Code something...
    For some reason I just can't get into Kubric...Full Metal Jacket, The Shining, Eyes Wide Shut, Dr. Strangelove, and A.I (which he was heavily involved in the concept) just never did it for me. I'll watch 2001 eventually but my expectations are pretty low.

All You Need is Blood - The Official UHM Horror Podcast

https://soundcloud.com/allyouneedisblood

UHM Emissary
    Long live the new flesh

Status
    Last Online
    01-19-2024

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 276
    Given: 706
    Somehow eventually everyone seems to see it. Sounds like you have the right mind set

* First time watch
    365 Days of Horror 2020-2021 https://boxd.it/97ywm

UHM's Arrogant Metal Head
    If anything is possible, is it
    possible for something to be
    impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Add DMHead777 on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 570
    Given: 1,294
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag DMHead777 PSN ID dmhead777 Steam ID whittem0re
    Quote Originally Posted by strtfghtr View Post
    Full Metal Jacket, The Shining, Eyes Wide Shut, Dr. Strangelove, and A.I (which he was heavily involved in the concept) just never did it for me. I'll watch 2001 eventually but my expectations are pretty low.
    Full Metal Jacket - First half was kick ass, second half was pretty meh

The Shining - I love the movie, love everything about it

Eyes Wide Shut was one of the biggest piece of shit movies I have ever watched. Had high expectations which were crushed

Dr. Strangelove was ok, never found it that funny. Maybe it's a bit dated, but when I watched it I was like eh..

2001, for me, is nothing like the rest of them. If you're into Sci-Fi flicks then watch it. It's really great. But I can reaally see how some people can find it boring. Which is why I don't show it to any of my friends. I know their reaction is going to be "What the fuck?" and "zzz.." at times, so I avoid it. But maybe you'll dig it. You'll either love it or hate it.

And I thought A.I was pretty cool too

Resident Omega
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by DMHead777 View Post
    If you're into Sci-Fi flicks then watch it. It's really great. But I can reaally see how some people can find it boring. Which is why I don't show it to any of my friends. I know their reaction is going to be "What the fuck?" and "zzz.." at times, so I avoid it. But maybe you'll dig it. You'll either love it or hate it.
    Exactly.

It's a film that I'd put high on the recommended list for posterity sake, but it wouldn't be one that I would pop in the dvd player if buddies were coming over and generally hanging out or whatnot.

Last edited by Solo; 08-30-2013 at 12:24 PM.

UHM Emissary
    Long live the new flesh

Status
    Last Online
    01-19-2024

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Thumbs Up
    2001, for me, is nothing like the rest of them. If you're into Sci-Fi flicks then watch it. It's really great. But I can reaally see how some people can find it boring. Which is why I don't show it to any of my friends. I know their reaction is going to be "What the fuck?" and "zzz.." at times, so I avoid it. But maybe you'll dig it. You'll either love it or hate it.
    I have to agree to disagree on that one. This movie turned me off to Sci-fi for a few years.

* First time watch

Child of the Grave
    The Duke of NY...A#1

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 310
    Given: 94
    Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    agreed on both.

at times it's a bit like Leones' Once Upon A Time in the West... just substitute the periodic drawn out shots of windmills, sage bushes, and the like with outerspace panorama, interstellar vehicles, etc... etc...

Quote Originally Posted by strtfghtr View Post
    For some reason I just can't get into Kubric...Full Metal Jacket, The Shining, Eyes Wide Shut, Dr. Strangelove, and A.I (which he was heavily involved in the concept) just never did it for me.
    I'm the same exact way.

"Wake up sucker, we're thieves and we're bad guys. That's exactly what we are."

Rotting Zealot
    blowin' heads up

Status
    Last Online
    08-30-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 134
    Given: 433
    There isn't enough lighter fluid in the world to burn this thread enough now.

impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Rotting Zealot
    blowin' heads up

Status
    Last Online
    08-30-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    It's starting to feel an awful lot like...what was that other horror site, the one whose forum died when they changed servers?...there was a weird kind of anti-elitism, or ironic elitism that kind of permeated much of the discussion where it became cool and hip to consider films like 2001 and The Shining and Poltergeist and The Exorcist and pretty much name any verified classic that involved real, actual filmmaking and proclaim it overrated. Like how hipsters look at pop music (while extolling the genius of pop if it's from another country or perhaps a contemporary band that's completely derivative of pop music from twenty years ago). Only there's nothing "pop" about these movies (well, apart from Poltergeist) except that thankfully a good chunk of the "pop" is able to recognize quality even if they don't or can't fully appreciate what went into creating these films.

"...Oh, gracious me. Was I raving? Please forgive me. I'm mad..." --Brad Dourif, the Gemini Killer, Exorcist III

Last edited by BurnetRhoades; 08-31-2013 at 12:33 PM.

Rotting Zealot
    blowin' heads up

Status
    Last Online
    08-30-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    The first manned Apollo mission, Apollo 7, happened on October 11 of 1968 which was six months after the US theatrical release of 2001 in April of that year. It would be another two months and Apollo 8 became the first manned mission to leave Earth orbit and then July of 1969 we put men on the moon, four years after an accurate depiction of men walking on the moon was shot by Kubrick for the film.

The moon base sequence of the film was the first thing shot, in 1965, only four years after the whole idea of a manned space program was even proposed as an actual goal for Congress to act on. There are things depicted in this film that wouldn't actually be experienced by humans until after the film was done or wouldn't be done for years and it got them right.

Neil Armstrong and the rest of NASA weren't even sure that the surface was solid enough to walk on until he took that first step after saying those famous lines. He was shitting bricks standing on the bottom rung of the ladder before stepping off.

Dave and crew are using iPad like thin tablets that are barely half a decade old now, not to mention the step towards HAL we have with stuff like SIRI. There isn't another scifi motion picture more prophetic or executed to the same standard. Before and after, most of what passes for "scifi" is really just fantasy.

Sorry, that'll be it. I just have a personal connection to the film beyond merely enjoying it or recognizing its singular achievement in the history of motion pictures on so many levels. For the genre it's more important than the Beatles, the Rolling Stones and Elvis all rolled together, with respect to Rock-n-Roll. 2001 is the fucking Blues.

Last edited by BurnetRhoades; 08-30-2013 at 09:59 PM.

Resident Omega
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by BurnetRhoades View Post
    The first manned Apollo mission, Apollo 7, happened on October 11 of 1968 which was six months after the US theatrical release of 2001 in April of that year. It would be another two months and Apollo 8 became the first manned mission to leave Earth orbit and then July of 1969 we put men on the moon, four years after an accurate depiction of men walking on the moon was shot by Kubrick for the film.

The moon base sequence of the film was the first thing shot, in 1965, only four years after the whole idea of a manned space program was even proposed as an actual goal for Congress to act on. There are things depicted in this film that wouldn't actually be experienced by humans until after the film was done or wouldn't be done for years and it got them right.

Neil Armstrong and the rest of NASA weren't even sure that the surface was solid enough to walk on until he took that first step after saying those famous lines. He was shitting bricks standing on the bottom rung of the ladder before stepping off.

Dave and crew are using iPad like thin tablets that are barely half a decade old now, not to mention the step towards HAL we have with stuff like SIRI. There isn't another scifi motion picture more prophetic or executed to the same standard. Before and after, most of what passes for "scifi" is really just fantasy.

Sorry, that'll be it. I just have a personal connection to the film beyond merely enjoying it or recognizing its singular achievement in the history of motion pictures on so many levels. For the genre it's more important than the Beatles, the Rolling Stones and Elvis all rolled together, with respect to Rock-n-Roll. 2001 is the fucking Blues.

Rotting Zealot
    Go quickly, travel safely, my
    young friend, to the land of
    ghosts.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Happy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 228
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag amniac

The Shining - I love the movie, love everything about it

Eyes Wide Shut was one of the biggest piece of shit movies I have ever watched. Had high expectations which were crushed

Dr. Strangelove was ok, never found it that funny. Maybe it's a bit dated, but when I watched it I was like eh..

And I thought A.I was pretty cool too
    I really dig Eyes Wide Shut, but my favourite Kubrick movies would have to be 2001, The Shining and A Clockwork Orange.

Rotting Zealot
    blowin' heads up

Status
    Last Online
    08-30-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by CountOrlok View Post
    I really dig Eyes Wide Shut, but my favourite Kubrick movies would have to be 2001, The Shining and A Clockwork Orange.
    There isn't much mention of Barry Lyndon in these Kubrick political discussions (pro or con). I've seen it once and clips from it many times. It's an absolutely gorgeous picture and maybe the most beautiful period piece I've ever seen along with The Duelists, but I have a hard time getting around the Ryan O'Neal factor. I have yet to see Lolita or The Killing. In fact the only picture from his B&W filmography that I've seen would be Dr. Strangelove.

impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

"...Oh, gracious me. Was I raving? Please forgive me. I'm mad..." --Brad Dourif, the Gemini Killer, Poltergeist III
    Do you mean Exorcist III?

Rotting Zealot
    Go quickly, travel safely, my
    young friend, to the land of
    ghosts.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Happy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 228
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag amniac
    There isn't much mention of Barry Lyndon in these Kubrick political discussions (pro or con). I've seen it once and clips from it many times. It's an absolutely gorgeous picture and maybe the most beautiful period piece I've ever seen along with The Duelists, but I have a hard time getting around the Ryan O'Neal factor. I have yet to see Lolita or The Killing. In fact the only picture from his B&W filmography that I've seen would be Dr. Strangelove.
    I agree about Barry Lyndon, but at 3 hours long it's kind of a snoozefest. Spartacus is good but it doesn't feel like a Kubrick movie (more in the mould of other historical epics of the era). I'll have to rewatch Lolita as I don't remember much about it. Haven't seen his earlier pictures.

Eyes Wide Shut I feel is his most underrated.

Zombiefied Zealot
    Majestic ruler of scavengers

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 72
    Dude, the sniper scene was fucking awesome!

UHM Emissary
    Long live the new flesh

Status
    Last Online
    01-19-2024

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Thumbs Up

It's starting to feel an awful lot like...what was that other horror site, the one whose forum died when they changed servers?...there was a weird kind of anti-elitism, or ironic elitism that kind of permeated much of the discussion where it became cool and hip to consider films like 2001 and The Shining and Poltergeist and The Exorcist and pretty much name any verified classic that involved real, actual filmmaking and proclaim it overrated. Like how hipsters look at pop music (while extolling the genius of pop if it's from another country or perhaps a contemporary band that's completely derivative of pop music from twenty years ago). Only there's nothing "pop" about these movies (well, apart from Poltergeist) except that thankfully a good chunk of the "pop" is able to recognize quality even if they don't or can't fully appreciate what went into creating these films.

"...Oh, gracious me. Was I raving? Please forgive me. I'm mad..." --Brad Dourif, the Gemini Killer, Poltergeist III

Or the more logical conclusion that some people just don't like certain movies.

* First time watch

Baron Blood
    Eater of rabies infected meat
    pies

Status
    Last Online
    02-13-2014

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 7
    Quote Originally Posted by Primetimeloser View Post
    Or the more logical conclusion that some people just don't like certain movies.
    Exactly. I really dislike Shaun of the Dead, and the amount of people who have pretty much told me that I'm 'wrong' for disliking it never fails to amuse me; more than the film amused me, in any respect.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast