My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow Toby On Twitter Add Toby on Facebook
    Visit Toby's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 458

Harbinger Down (2014)

A group of grad students have booked passage on the fishing trawler Harbinger to study the effects of global warming on a pod of Orcas in the Bering Sea. When the ship’s crew dredges up a recently thawed piece of old Soviet space wreckage, things get downright deadly. It seems that the Russians experimented with tardigrades, tiny resilient animals able to withstand the extremes of space radiation. The creatures survived, but not without mutation. Now the crew is exposed to aggressively mutating organisms. And after being locked in ice for 3 decades, the creatures aren’t about to give up the warmth of human companionship.
    http://us.harbingerdown.com/index.html

This is the practical makeup effects horror film that I and we have all been waiting for! It looks great for low-budget standards, the story sounds good, the acting looks promising, the monsters teased in the trailer look gruesome and creative, Lance Henriksen, and the director/writer of the film Alec Gillis does practical makeup effects and has worked with the great Stan Winston on several classics such as Aliens, The Monster Squad, Cocoon, Tremors, Jumanji and much more.

I'm looking super-forward to this flick!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Toby; 06-25-2014 at 04:51 AM.

"It's a Freak Show! A Freak Show! See the strange and bizarre! Step right up, we'd love to see you! We think YOU can be the STAR! Hahahaha! Oooh! Hahahahaha! Ooohh! Hahahaha!"-Umlaut (CarnEvil)
    GORY PUMPKIN WEBSITE

"Ignorance must die if creation is to survive.."-Dillon Mason (Hacksaw: Documentary of a Psycho Killer)

Rotting Zealot
    blowin' heads up

Status
    Last Online
    08-30-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 134
    Given: 433
    Actually, it's not. I've been waiting for a great film that required mind blowing effects, this becoming a catalyst for a practical effects house to step up and finally, after decades of stagnation, evolve their techniques and materials to actually be better and offer filmmakers something more than what The Best could do in 1982. This isn't that.

This is a demo reel disguised as a film that's completely and obviously derivative of the greatest practical effects film of 1982 made by a company that couldn't provide practical effects as good as those from the original 1982 film when they were contracted to do so for a different film that's completely derivative of the same 1982 film. They didn't have a film they wanted to make or needed to make. It was "we want to make a wank film, give us money." That's it.

The whole thing makes me want to throw up. Fuck this movie, I'll watch the real The Thing.

Last edited by BurnetRhoades; 06-25-2014 at 10:59 AM.

Psycho Killer
    Lurking in the Dark

Status
    Last Online
    3 Days Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by BurnetRhoades View Post
    Actually, it's not. I've been waiting for a great film that required mind blowing effects, this becoming a catalyst for a practical effects house to step up and finally, after decades of stagnation, evolve their techniques and materials to actually be better and offer filmmakers something more than what The Best could do in 1982. This isn't that.

This is a demo reel disguised as a film that's completely and obviously derivative of the greatest practical effects film of 1982 made by a company that couldn't provide practical effects as good as those from the original 1982 film when they were contracted to do so for a different film that's completely derivative of the same 1982 film. They didn't have a film they wanted to make or needed to make. It was "we want to make a wank film, give us money." That's it.

The whole thing makes me want to throw up. Fuck this movie, I'll watch the real The Thing.
    Jesus Fuckity Chirst what a BUZZ KILL...

To be honest, I'm surprised that you'd even tear this film down without seeing it first, I certainly can't fault the production for wanting to make a movie which, let's be perfectly clear here, that would otherwise NEVER exist in the mainstream and you know it.

Mainstream Hollywood doesn't care nor will it ever let the risks of pure practical art hold up horror movies on their own, no gotta throw in CGI because audiences will think your horror film will be out-dated and pathetic when it's not "getting with the times" if it doesn't have polished, beautiful looking appealing visuals, which the horror genre is not and it SHOULDN'T.

The Kickstarter thing is always a hard blow to me, speaking as a filmmaker who still tries to get his budgets from fundraising sites to make his next horror film I too am sick and fucking tired of H-wood celebs riding on the bandwagon with Kickstarter, a campaigning website that's meant to help the independent scene ergo the "NO-MONEY FILMMAKERS" (Kickstarter, if you're reading this, get yourself some HELP) but instead it caters to those with the most money and the most fanbases otherwise no one will be interested to help other filmmakers who can barely do anything in this terrible AWFUL recession of a country that's losing its dignity on a daily basis.

All in all, while this film may seem like it's a Thing rip-off I'll tell you one thing at least it won't be like the terrible pre-make from 2011, this one looks more original in terms of an isolated place and it's got practical effects with absolutely ZERO CGI in. Will it be a Thing rip-off? Honestly, if you're worried about that, John Carpenter's 1982 classic of all time will ALWAYS be there, no one will take it away from you, they won't take it away from me, they won't take it away from any horror fan.

I'm going to stick to my guns and say it'll be a masterpiece of practical effects in a HORROR movie. This is something I thought all horror fans would be excited for, we SHOULD be excited for something like this than sink down into the drain of cynicism where we all think creativity is dead, which is what H-wood WANTS you to believe so they can keep you lapping up all their crappy movies they never let the filmmakers make because H-wood is terribly afraid of you, afraid of me, afraid of all of us, thinking if they don't appeal to a wider audience than to give all genre fans their delicious slice of the pie, they'll go out of business.

If I'm wrong about this movie, I'll be more than happy to apologize for it. But as it stands, I predict it will be a success on its own terms, and we should be supporting this movie, not sneer at it and I mean for fuck sakes it's got nothing but PRACTICAL EFFECTS in it, what more could you possibly want!? But still...it never hurts to take a risk like this...I think it'll be great.

Same thing happened with Frankenstein's Army, it was a great horror movie that horror fans disliked just because it wasn't in black and white for the found-footage aspect, just because of that flaw apparently that keeps Frankenstein's Army from being a major classic and that movie too deserves more support as well because of its high-art with its gruesome practical monsters!

Just sayin'.

Last edited by Toby; 06-25-2014 at 01:19 PM.

"It's a Freak Show! A Freak Show! See the strange and bizarre! Step right up, we'd love to see you! We think YOU can be the STAR! Hahahaha! Oooh! Hahahahaha! Ooohh! Hahahaha!"-Umlaut (CarnEvil)
    GORY PUMPKIN WEBSITE

"Ignorance must die if creation is to survive.."-Dillon Mason (Hacksaw: Documentary of a Psycho Killer)

Rotting Zealot
    blowin' heads up

Status
    Last Online
    08-30-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    that would otherwise NEVER exist in the mainstream and you know it.
    Yeah, it already does exist, it's called The Thing. It was obvious from their minimal description in their kickstarter video and it's 1000X more obvious from this video. Please.

They're still smarting from having work minimized or replaced on that prequel. It wasn't good enough. The only reason why a producer would pay for one effect twice from two different companies is the first one failed. They couldn't achieve 1982 Rob Bottin level imagery on a Hollywood budget and yet now they're motivated to actually do something good on a shoestring kickstarter budget? Mmmkay.

Last edited by BurnetRhoades; 06-25-2014 at 02:55 PM.

Rotting Zealot
    blowin' heads up

Status
    Last Online
    08-30-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    I mean for fuck sakes it's got nothing but PRACTICAL EFFECTS in it, what more could you possibly want!?
    A good movie. A real movie. Making a movie for the sake of effects is bollocks. Making a movie for the sake of spectacle alone, without a real story to tell (in this case a story we don't already know by heart, they don't actually have a story so they're just mad-libbing) is what Michael Bay does.

Making a movie expressly and simply as a showcase for some form of craft is one of the stupidest reasons to actually do it that I've ever heard of. Do it to be rich. Do it to get laid. Do it because you're compelled to tell that story, because it's personal or relevant or just really cool. Doing it to showcase stuff you demonstrably don't do as well as has been done before in a better version of the same movie? Stupid.

Last edited by BurnetRhoades; 06-25-2014 at 03:03 PM.

Psycho Killer
    Lurking in the Dark

Status
    Last Online
    3 Days Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up

Yeah, it already does exist, it's called The Thing. It was obvious from their minimal description in their kickstarter video and it's 1000X more obvious from this video. Please.

They're still smarting from having work minimized or replaced on that prequel. It wasn't good enough. The only reason why a producer would pay for one effect twice from two different companies is the first one failed. They couldn't achieve 1982 Rob Bottin level imagery on a Hollywood budget and yet now they're motivated to actually do something good on a shoestring kickstarter budget? Mmmkay.
    Remember, Hollywood doesn't give a flying fuck about creativity, they don't care about new ideas, they don't care about practical effects which is clearly a dying artform in the mainstream and if it's not a film with tons of CGI in it then Hollywood will never be interested in it nor will they ever buy it, hence no Hollywood budgets for ambitious filmmakers to make an all-practical effects horror movie.

Like I said, i don't like it when H-wood celebs use Kickstarter to their advantage over the rest of us underground filmmakers and I hope it gets resolved sometime before I'm dead, but even so for a project like this where it will have no CGI in it and will actually have practical makeup effects where it won't Syfy everything to the dreaded bone...then you know what? I'll take it. It deserves to exist to prove that practical effects will always be a great artform and no amount of CGI can ever replace it for its greatness and effectiveness.

Also, like I said, NO ONE IS GOING TO TAKE THE ROB BOTTIN MASTERPIECE, JOHN CARNTER'S THE THING AWAY FROM YOU. They're not trying to upstage The Thing, they're doing something new, something fresh, something different and it even has something of a Lovecraftian aspect to it which seems nice and I love the aspect that when the horror starts it never stops.

A good movie. A real movie. Making a movie for the sake of effects is bollocks. Making a movie for the sake of spectacle alone, without a real story to tell (in this case a story we don't already know by heart, they don't actually have a story so they're just mad-libbing) is what Michael Bay does.

Making a movie expressly and simply as a showcase for some form of craft is one of the stupidest reasons to actually do it that I've ever heard of. Do it to be rich. Do it to get laid. Do it because you're compelled to tell that story, because it's personal or relevant or just really cool. Doing it to showcase stuff you demonstrably don't do as well as has been done before in a better version of the same movie? Stupid.
    I'm sure it will be a good movie, it has a good plot so far to where it can open up a whole thing of possibilities, especially where suspense is concerned. I can tell you for certain that this film has a lot of heart going into it and won't be just a hollow film like Michael bay makes his movies where they look visually amazing but have no substance beneath them. This film marks Alec Gillis' directorial/writing debut so I, you nor anyone else will know if he's a good or bad filmmaker unless we see the movie first.

Even if it was something of a style-over-substance movie that these filmmakers would pull a Michael Bay, which I'm not saying it is, honestly I wouldn't have a problem with the practical makeup spectacle either at least it's practical effects which I have been STARVING for so many years and you could only get practical effects with indie movies, another world of films that mainstream horror fans still don't give any amount of respect for due to low budgets, and either indie films make cool-looking monsters and never use them right or only have a dime-a-dozen zombie flicks with the same old shit.

For instance, From Dusk Til Dawn maybe a great horror classic to fuse gangsters with vampires, but when you get right down to it is one of the most dumbest most ridiculous movies ever made and it's amazingly awesome because of it! It too has more style over substance for the most part and stuff that doesn't make any sense like Tom Savini's vampire turning into a rat monster, or the vampires bleeding green...so even with a style over substance film you can never go wrong when you have so much fun with it.

Last edited by Toby; 06-25-2014 at 03:51 PM.

GORY PUMPKIN WEBSITE

Psycho Killer
    Lurking in the Dark

Status
    Last Online
    3 Days Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    This video alone says it all. The reason while people tell me I should move on to Hollywood to make a living out of making movies, this is why i will NEVER go any where near that system and in which the business is CLEARLY UNHEALTHY with how it goes about the film-making process.

GORY PUMPKIN WEBSITE

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    16 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow Macready On Twitter Add Macready on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 547
    Given: 210
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    I'm definitely down for this. It looks like a cross between The Thing and Leviathan.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The tranquility of night hides many malevolent things taking place under a stunning, mysterious sky pocked with precious gems of light. -GP

Published writer in Fantastic Horror, Volumes 1,2, and 5. Currently working on my first two novels!

Psycho Killer
    Lurking in the Dark

Status
    Last Online
    3 Days Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Macready View Post
    It looks like a cross between The Thing and Leviathan.
    Fun fact to note, Alec Gillis also worked on Leviathan!

GORY PUMPKIN WEBSITE

Rotting Zealot
    blowin' heads up

Status
    Last Online
    08-30-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    hence no Hollywood budgets for ambitious filmmakers to make an all-practical effects horror movie.
    This makes no sense. A filmmaker that's actually doing their job in a competent manner only requires the best possible work they can wrangle for their vision. Being beholden to any technique is the tail wagging the dog. It's already starting off on the wrong foot. Whether to go practical or digital should be a decision based on the best result for the money available. In fact, it shouldn't even really be the filmmaker's decision it should be the fellow(s) he hires who specialize in effects who are in charge of devising the best technical means to achieve the vision of the filmmaker. Producers just care about what it's going to cost and if the results are going to help or hurt the film's chances to make its money back and then some. The conspiracy theories about "Hollywood" somehow having it in for the practical effects industry is a myth.

The Thing prequel started out mostly practical effects, with a real budget. They couldn't do it right. The same thing has happened to Rick Baker multiple times. Like, he's had work replaced in three of the last three werewolf movies he's been a part of, to some degree, because it wasn't good. Hollywood doesn't like paying for things once much less twice. If practical effects makers were still competitive with what they were able to do and the realism of their craft had kept pace with the rest of filmmaking, cameras and audience expectations we'd be at a different place. But most of them aren't up to even 1982 standards.

It's a dying art because they've let it die. Painted latex isn't good enough anymore. Fixed, sculpted expression isn't good enough anymore. Something that can't freely move about and interact with other characters isn't good enough anymore. Locking off the camera isn't good enough anymore. The way digital cameras "see" differently than film cameras has only accelerated their demise.

Rotting Zealot
    blowin' heads up

Status
    Last Online
    08-30-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    they're doing something new, something fresh, something different and it even has something of a Lovecraftian aspect to it which seems nice and I love the aspect that when the horror starts it never stops.
    There is nothing fresh here, nothing new. Did you watch that trailer? Nothing.

Also, fun fact, The Thing is already Lovecraftian. The short story it's based on is itself based on a Lovecraft story. So, there you go.

Psycho Killer
    Lurking in the Dark

Status
    Last Online
    3 Days Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    This makes no sense. A filmmaker that's actually doing their job in a competent manner only requires the best possible work they can wrangle for their vision. Being beholden to any technique is the tail wagging the dog. It's already starting off on the wrong foot. Whether to go practical or digital should be a decision based on the best result for the money available. In fact, it shouldn't even really be the filmmaker's decision it should be the fellow(s) he hires who specialize in effects who are in charge of devising the best technical means to achieve the vision of the filmmaker. Producers just care about what it's going to cost and if the results are going to help or hurt the film's chances to make its money back and then some. The conspiracy theories about "Hollywood" somehow having it in for the practical effects industry is a myth.

The Thing prequel started out mostly practical effects, with a real budget. They couldn't do it right. The same thing has happened to Rick Baker multiple times. Like, he's had work replaced in three of the last three werewolf movies he's been a part of, to some degree, because it wasn't good. Hollywood doesn't like paying for things once much less twice. If practical effects makers were still competitive with what they were able to do and the realism of their craft had kept pace with the rest of filmmaking, cameras and audience expectations we'd be at a different place. But most of them aren't up to even 1982 standards.

It's a dying art because they've let it die. Painted latex isn't good enough anymore. Fixed, sculpted expression isn't good enough anymore. Something that can't freely move about and interact with other characters isn't good enough anymore. Locking off the camera isn't good enough anymore. The way digital cameras "see" differently than film cameras has only accelerated their demise.
    Why shouldn't it be the filmmaker's decision when making a film? That's the most terrible mind-set for any industry, I'll tell you what. The artists that tell the stories in any medium, be it movies, books, graphic novels, music whatever, the artists SHOULD always have free reign to do whatever they want to tell whatever story they want, yes even if it turns out to be a load of shit that no one will care about in the aftermath, but nevertheless we do get great movies when we let filmmakers have their way with anything they want to have in their way.

Producers are a bunch of quality-control freaks who want nothing more but to control what YOU watch because they only care about YOUR MONEY, if they the producers who know nothing about creativity and passion of filmmakers they decide they want to be "filmmakers" themselves when all they do is make something worse than it is just for the sake of protecting their horrible and corrupt business they are too shitless and ball-less to change for the better of creativity and to let anything speak its mind without compromise and without dumbing everything down for an audience they're trying to take money from.

H-wood is in bed with the MPAA which is a religiously run organization that claims it knows what is best for American audiences (which is BULLLLLLLSHIT, because no one will ever predict whatever people want broad audience or not) the rating system damaging creativity and artistic expression. There's also the product placement H-wood MUST put into every blockbuster they make because they can't pay their backers with the films alone just because they want that extra cheddar without a lick of care for the art and story-telling even if they damage the minds of audiences because of the advertisements that saturate fantasy. Focus groups? Don't even get me started how stupid it is for H-wood to hang over pre-opinions from that secret audience they think will validate their business.

H-wood is not your friend, it's never been a friend to anyone, even if you're an A-List director H-wood will still spit in your face and tea-back you with their ball-less and dick-less crotches, it's happening to Guillermo Del Toro, it's happened to George A. Romero. Makeup artists are starving to let their work be shown in the movies to let everyone have a sense of freshness without the saturation of digital effects, and just because producers say "Well this doesn't look very good at all, throw in some CGI or replace that shit that I think is personally shit" even so far to boot off the directors from the fucking projects themselves! I mean...COME ON! You've GOT to admit that that's a TERRIBLE and AWFUL practice that deserves exploitation!

Still, whatever H-wood you believe to be a spotless system that isn't the reason as to why practical makeup effects are non-existent, well I'm sorry, H-wood isn't spotless and only further proves that when business is given far too much power than it should ever have it destroys creativity and creativity is everything.

There is nothing fresh here, nothing new. Did you watch that trailer? Nothing.

Also, fun fact, The Thing is already Lovecraftian. The short story it's based on is itself based on a Lovecraft story. So, there you go.
    Yes, i got that and i still love The Thing even more because of it and I understand the 1980s were the pinnacle decade for makeup effects and practical effects can still be great in today's film world, it's just the terrible black-and-white all or nothing mindset that these idiots in the industry have grounded just so they can waste the time and money of people who are hungry for meaning and hungry for good movies.

Last edited by Toby; 06-25-2014 at 09:11 PM.

GORY PUMPKIN WEBSITE

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow FrighT MasteR On Twitter Add FrighT MasteR on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 879
    Given: 134
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID frightie Steam ID frightie
    The movie is getting an August 7th on demand and limited theatrical release, followed by a September 1st DVD release.

http://www.upcominghorrormovies.com/...harbinger-down

Rotting Zealot
    Go quickly, travel safely, my
    young friend, to the land of
    ghosts.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Happy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 228
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag amniac
    Awesome.

Psycho Killer
    Lurking in the Dark

Status
    Last Online
    3 Days Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    This movie HAS to succeed! It will fill the empty hole left by Rick Backer who has retired. Indie horror shall give a big fuck you to H-wood, but not only that but it looks like it's going to be friggin' amazing! Alien meets The Thing!? Uhhhh fuckin' YES, please!

GORY PUMPKIN WEBSITE

Rotting Zealot
    ghosts.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Happy
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag amniac
    I don't think it will be "amazing" but the practical effects will be good, at least.

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    16 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    This will be a typical, low budget VOD horror flick with some good practical effects and nothing more.
    Everyone was saying the same thing about Blood Glacier and that was shit.

The tranquility of night hides many malevolent things taking place under a stunning, mysterious sky pocked with precious gems of light. -GP

Published writer in Fantastic Horror, Volumes 1,2, and 5. Currently working on my first two novels!

HellBound Saint/Damnation Ready
    My "Give a Fuck" is
    Still Broken,but my "Go
    Fuck Yourself" is Fully
    Functional!

Status
    Last Online
    07-02-2020

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Follow hacknslash On Twitter Add hacknslash on Google+
    Visit hacknslash's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 161
    Given: 303
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID hacknslashbmf
    Shit Im always down for a creature feature.

Rotting Zealot
    ghosts.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Happy
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag amniac
    Quote Originally Posted by Macready View Post
    This will be a typical, low budget VOD horror flick with some good practical effects and nothing more.
    Everyone was saying the same thing about Blood Glacier and that was shit.
    Most horror is straight to VOD, because they're not going to get wide theatrical releases like your typical 150 mil blockbuster movie. But I'm happy with that because it means I get to see it sooner.

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    16 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    What I meant about typical is most are poop, kinda just like big budget horror flicks as of late. VOD doesn't equate to a dumping ground sometimes and there are quality titles that release this way such as The Babadook and Afflicted.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast