Last Online
    10-22-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Morningriser View Post
    When was Pennywise ever called "IT"? I know its the title of the film but not the name of the monster.
    I remember in the miniseries the characters called the monster "It" a bunch of times. Pennywise is just a recognizable form It takes on. It simply is.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rotting Zealot
    Go quickly, travel safely, my
    young friend, to the land of
    ghosts.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Happy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 228
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag amniac
    Pennywise was a clown called Bob Gray that 'It' possessed.

Rotting Zealot
    ghosts.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Happy
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag amniac
    Quote Originally Posted by koolmike View Post
    Timmy C as Pennywise is IMO the only thing good about the original adaptation.
    Whoa there.. totally disagree. That miniseries just had a creepy vibe to it. I mean, seeing a photo ooze blood, a floating balloon, Pennywise coming out of the drain.. Tim Curry was barely in the first half, but you felt his presence. In the second half, he's making wisecracks and jokes like Freddy Krueger.

Oh, and this new guy SUCKS.

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    1 Minute Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow Macready On Twitter Add Macready on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 547
    Given: 210
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    There is always someone who will say the book is better. This time that will be me.
    IT is simply King's best book and the way it is written, nobody can ever put the feeling I got while reading that and translate it to film. Impossible.

IT is an example of why books...when execututed perfectly cannot be topped for an overal experience when it comes to story, characters, feelings and atmosphere all in one neatly wrapped package.
    It is fairly easy and straight forward to single out Curry's incarnation of Pennywise. It was a good role which he pulled off but that is all the mini-series had and the story of IT is much more grand than Pennywise.

The rest of the performances were horrible and came off like they were being filmed reading lines off a teleprompter.

Just because they are remaking IT doesn't give me any inclination it will live up to what King wrote.
    It will most likely be another PG-13 Hollywood film with an overabundance of shitty CGI and fail to translate all of the nuances the story fills in so well.

The tranquility of night hides many malevolent things taking place under a stunning, mysterious sky pocked with precious gems of light. -GP

Published writer in Fantastic Horror, Volumes 1,2, and 5. Currently working on my first two novels!

Child of the Grave
    The Duke of NY...A#1

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 310
    Given: 94
    Quote Originally Posted by CountOrlok View Post
    Whoa there.. totally disagree.
    Cool...one question...Did you read the book?

Last edited by koolmike; 05-05-2015 at 11:54 AM.
    "Wake up sucker, we're thieves and we're bad guys. That's exactly what we are."

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    1 Minute Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    There are books that are meant to be left alone and not made into a movie, this is one of them.
    It is not possible to put what this book is to film. People shouldn't be lazy and just read the damn thing or if they did read it...read it again instead of looking forward to a flick that won't come close to what the book represents.

The tranquility of night hides many malevolent things taking place under a stunning, mysterious sky pocked with precious gems of light. -GP

Published writer in Fantastic Horror, Volumes 1,2, and 5. Currently working on my first two novels!

Rotting Zealot
    ghosts.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Happy
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag amniac
    A long time ago. I know there is far more disturbing stuff in the book. But I judge the miniseries on its own terms. For a PG-13 tv movie made in 1990, it's pretty effective. It certainly creeped me out when I was a kid.

Zombiefied Zealot
    The Ancient One

Status
    Last Online
    11-18-2023

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 286
    Given: 328
    Will Poulter as Pennywise? Talk about miscasting at least Tim Curry can pull off creepy without needing the clown makeup. Its been an extremely long time since I've read the book, so I really can't recall a lot about it. I will say this much there isn't a single movie based on a KIng novel that I am happy with The Stand and Carrie ( original ) came close IMO

Like, so many people out there were trying to track this down. And it just...got delivered on a tweet. What the hell.

"The individual's rights will be protected only so long as they don't conflict with the state."

“Watch your thoughts, they become words;
    watch your words, they become actions;
    watch your actions, they become habits;
    watch your habits, they become character;
    watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”

Child of the Grave
    The Duke of NY...A#1

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Macready View Post
    There are books that are meant to be left alone and not made into a movie, this is one of them.
    It is not possible to put what this book is to film. People shouldn't be lazy and just read the damn thing or if they did read it...read it again instead of looking forward to a flick that won't come close to what the book represents.
    Yeah, "IT" (the book) is a horror ride no film adaptation can accurately duplicate IMO.

I feel the same exact way about Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein" and Richard Matheson's "I Am Legend"

Last edited by koolmike; 05-05-2015 at 05:48 PM.

Child of the Grave
    The Duke of NY...A#1

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up
    A long time ago. I know there is far more disturbing stuff in the book. But I judge the miniseries on its own terms. For a PG-13 tv movie made in 1990, it's pretty effective. It certainly creeped me out when I was a kid.
    See, I read the book first and then saw the movie. For me, it just didn't deliver. I can see people who never read the book liking the film...but it is a mandatory read IMO.

Valhalla, I am coming
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    10-22-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 2
    I think book adaptations can go two ways; pretty faithful in content (The Godfather) or faithful in message (James Whale's Frankenstein). Both ways work and the two examples are superb adaptations of source material that stand on their own. I've never read It, but I think a good adaptation can be made if it captures the heart of the material. Isn't the story about overcoming fear? Confronting past trauma and becoming stronger for it? You don't need to copy page by page for authenticity. As long as this new movie hits the key themes, then it could be great.

They've got a director who helped make one of the best TV show seasons of the decade and an interesting casting for the title monster. Will Poulter is not by any means an obvious choice and that's why I love it. He must have got something good in store for us if Fukunaga said he was "blown away" by the audition. This is the same director who worked with McConaughey to create Rust Cohle, a great character and performance that completely turned around my opinion of McConaughey. These two guys owrking on this project has got me excited and anticipating more.

Rotting Zealot
    ghosts.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Happy
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag amniac
    No, books and movies are two different things. The most faithful adaptation of Stephen King is The Shining miniseries. A really terrible movie IMO.

So, whether the movie is 'faithful' or not makes little difference.

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    1 Minute Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    Quote Originally Posted by cmurdur View Post
    I think book adaptations can go two ways; pretty faithful in content (The Godfather) or faithful in message (James Whale's Frankenstein). Both ways work and the two examples are superb adaptations of source material that stand on their own. I've never read It, but I think a good adaptation can be made if it captures the heart of the material. Isn't the story about overcoming fear? Confronting past trauma and becoming stronger for it? You don't need to copy page by page for authenticity. As long as this new movie hits the key themes, then it could be great.

They've got a director who helped make one of the best TV show seasons of the decade and an interesting casting for the title monster. Will Poulter is not by any means an obvious choice and that's why I love it. He must have got something good in store for us if Fukunaga said he was "blown away" by the audition. This is the same director who worked with McConaughey to create Rust Cohle, a great character and performance that completely turned around my opinion of McConaughey. These two guys owrking on this project has got me excited and anticipating more.
    Not really. When reading IT you feel for each character, the bonds they have with each other, how they overcome many horrors other than IT and the feelings you get when reading what is taking place.

When reading IT I felt as though I was not here anymore but in their world feeling all their feelings. The mini-series captured hardly any of this and the characters were complete disappointments to their book counterparts.

Other great books, like your example with The Godfather does not have as complex a story as IT. All the flashbacks and the amount of depth given to each character cannot be recreated in a movie. And that is truly what IT is all about.

One of the best parts of the book is the Apocalyptic Rock Fight. Something they tried to recreate in the movie but failed miserably. That chapter is one of the best, if not THE best in the entire book. It's a true defining moment for most of the main kids and it is so beautifully written I pictured it as if I were actually standing there watching it unfold.

I get movies don't have to be faithful to their book counterpart but I also feel that if you are going to go down that road some books are so perfect the movie better be faithful because if not, what is the point? If that isn't acceptable for some to swallow then simply don't try and cash in on a movie of the book.

All the nuances that IT has like how a certain character is feeling or what they are thinking at the time are plentiful. These touches are genious and add more to the story than any cheesy special effect or glimpse of Pennywise. These are also things that can't be duplicated in film. Written by someone else or even by King himself but in a more straight forward storytelling format a movie would be possible. But with the way IT is written, if you read it and experience it you will know a movie is a waste of time.

I haven't read IT in many, many years but one part still sticks out in my head. When Eddie has is arm broken and how is overbearing, hypocondriac, controlling mother was persistent that a piece of bone was racing through his bloodstream and going to pierce his heart. It shows how fucking batshit crazy this woman truly is. Little touches like this are plentiful in the book and expand on almost every single character, nothing that a film can duplicate.

Don't take liberties with small things that hit hard and change them to appease the movie-going public such as this:
    SPOILER

Spoiler...
    In the book when IT killed Eddie in the end they left him in the sewers and did not bury him like in the movie. It fits better with the story overall and is a bit more symbolic that he was happy to see IT destroyed and he got to have his final moments with his friends which were in fact his life.

Last edited by Macready; 05-06-2015 at 05:54 AM.

Skeleton Key Master
    Rocking The Ganj

Status
    Last Online
    05-10-2015

Member #
    Threads
    Add Morningriser on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 12
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID Morningriser

Rotting Zealot
    ghosts.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Happy
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag amniac
    Quote Originally Posted by Macready View Post

One of the best parts of the book is the Apocalyptic Rock Fight. Something they tried to recreate in the movie but failed miserably.
    Haha that was the part where they finally stood up to the bullies and became the Lucky 7.

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    1 Minute Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    Haha that was the part where they finally stood up to the bullies and became the Lucky 7.
    Correct. But it was purely epic in the book. I mean EPIC. The movie did that part of the story, which is very important no justice whatsoever.

Last edited by Macready; 05-06-2015 at 06:52 AM.

Rotting Zealot
    ghosts.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Happy
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag amniac
    It sounds like either you read the book first and your expectations were too high, or you read the book later and compared it to the movie. Either way, the movie will come up short.

I read the entire Lord of the Rings before I saw Peter Jackson's movies. My favourite was Fellowship of the Ring because of how closely it stuck to the book. But I hated Return of the King, which was overrated as hell winning Oscars and shit.... they turned Sauron, who I imagined as this all powerful presence, into an f'king searchlight. A searchlight.

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    1 Minute Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    I read the book five times. Twice before the movie and three times after. I thought the movie was bad in comparison originally. Then after reading the book a few times again after the movie it made it much worse. Some things that I thought came up short and knew were left out were much more egregious reading through it again after seeing the film.

Last edited by Macready; 05-06-2015 at 07:45 AM.

Rotting Zealot
    ghosts.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Happy
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag amniac
    Yeah well, it was the miniseries that made me want to read the book. Maybe it's just nostalgia, but those Stephen King miniseries were the shit back in the day. I remember loving IT, THE TOMMYKNOCKERS, THE LANGOLIERS and THE STAND. And still do like them to this day.

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    1 Minute Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    Only ones I liked were Storm of the Century and Rose Red.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast