My Mood
    Tired
    Add DMHead777 on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 570
    Given: 1,294
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag DMHead777 PSN ID dmhead777 Steam ID whittem0re
    Just got done watching it and was surprisingly let down a bit. I give respect to the fact that this is Chris' book, I just didn't find the movie itself all too interesting. Knowing these things happened to Chris is a huge deal, like

Spoiler...
    Him shooting the target from over 2100 yards away, the child and mother with the grenade..

..but I don't think it worked in movie form. The guy is obviously a hero and his effects on his fellow troops cannot go ignored, but I just thought that the movie jumped around a bit too much. Something just felt off about it, but can't put my finger on it. There were times, especially near the end, where things choked me up a bit, but I feel the film jumped around too quickly. Just an opinion, but overall still a great film. Cooper did great. Would still give it a 6/10 as a film, but I feel a movie based on fact really shouldn't be rated. I'm mainly rating it for the way it was filmed and the editing over the story itself.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Demon to Some
    Imagine peace on this earth
    when there's no grief Imagine
    grief on this earth when
    there's no peace

Status
    Last Online
    02-18-2023

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Add Darkgod on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 51
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag Chumpstylz PSN ID D_A_R_K_G_O_D
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    And that's fine. What I'm talking about is why you or anyone else thinks of him as a hero, why should I or everyone else think of him as a hero if the movie doesn't explain itself, if it has no depth then it's empty and meaningless garbage. The only time we EVER get deep into Chris Kyle....is just the ending credits with his real life memorial. That's it. That's the deepest we ever get to caring about the man except it's too little and too late and we're just supposedly forced to care just because it's a real memorial of the real man.
    You should be able to understand he is a hero by his actions in the movie. The pressure of killing a woman and her child to protect his group and the stress that he endured because of it, or him going door to door with the grunts(something he doesn't need to do, but wants to to better see what they do and help protect them), him personally wanting the butcher for what he did to the father and son.

A man I work with was Marine Recon, and was one of the groups involved in Black Hawk Down. His brother was also Recon, and met Chris Kyle while overseas, and he said it was like seeing a mythical figure or celebrity. All the men in his batallion were falling over each other to see the man that everyone called Legend. And he said he was humble, and spent time asking about him and what he did and not focusing on the sniper stuff.

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    12-03-2018

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 27
    Quote Originally Posted by DMHead777 View Post
    Something just felt off about it, but can't put my finger on it.
    For me personally the thing that felt "off" about it was the fact that it was bullshit propaganda created to make a psychopath a hero and to help justify and sell the fact that we went to war with an innocent country (at least with what they were trying to sell it as). Its funny how that massive issue was always left out.... hey, we're not fighting terrorists in Iraq, we're fighting people who are reacting to us invading their country for no valid reason..... big thing to leave out, something like that really changes the context of a story and really gives meaning to "honey i want to go back to war!".

Next time you or anyone else watches this movie, remember his kill count (which was 300 right?) and then apply this fun little fact. The qualifications for "an acceptable target" or "enemy combatant" was an armed or unarmed male that looked between the ages of 12 and 70... basically everyone on this site would be dead by these standards. Also remember that 1 out of 7 people killed in the Iraq war was actually combatants.

Maybe next we can get a movie about Blackwater and show how they used a tank to heroically run over women and children, film it, then laughing at the dead and slowly dying children....... heroic.. just... hero's man.
    Hell, at this point Eastwood might as well show the "hero" Nazis during DDay, same fucking thing.

Last edited by El Ahrairah; 02-02-2015 at 10:37 PM.

UHM's Arrogant Metal Head
    If anything is possible, is it
    possible for something to be
    impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Add DMHead777 on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 570
    Given: 1,294
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag DMHead777 PSN ID dmhead777 Steam ID whittem0re
    Quote Originally Posted by bravenewworld1 View Post
    remember his kill count (which was 300 right?)
    If you saw the film, you would know his kill count was 160. I'd suggest watching the film or reading the book to try and not sound like a paranoid keyboard-warrior.

Last edited by DMHead777; 02-03-2015 at 10:44 AM.

Psycho Killer
    Lurking in the Dark

Status
    Last Online
    3 Days Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow Toby On Twitter Add Toby on Facebook
    Visit Toby's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 458

-1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Toby; 02-03-2015 at 01:04 PM.

"It's a Freak Show! A Freak Show! See the strange and bizarre! Step right up, we'd love to see you! We think YOU can be the STAR! Hahahaha! Oooh! Hahahahaha! Ooohh! Hahahaha!"-Umlaut (CarnEvil)
    GORY PUMPKIN WEBSITE

"Ignorance must die if creation is to survive.."-Dillon Mason (Hacksaw: Documentary of a Psycho Killer)

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    12-03-2018

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 27
    Quote Originally Posted by DMHead777 View Post
    If you saw the film, you would know his kill count was 160. I'd suggest watching the film or reading the book to try and not sound like a paranoid keyboard-warrior.
    I saw the film, i simply did not remember which number we were touting.
    The 300 btw, is the estimated (or bragged) if we are to go by his unconfirmed killed and his bullshit story about murdering looters in New Orleans..... which... murdering people who just lost their home.. no.. city.. who are looting petty items and bragging about it... ya...
    Either way the point remains: This person is a piece of shit at best and the world is better off without him and details matter.

Last edited by El Ahrairah; 02-03-2015 at 02:51 PM.

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    08-02-2021

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 29
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    I went to see American Sniper with my Dad, then I came back and saw Seth Rogen is getting a ton of shit on Twitter because he said American Sniper looked more like that "Nation's Pride" movie in Inglourious Basterds

American Sniper is not a good movie, it's a bad movie that LOOKS nice and doesn't lend itself to any strong political beliefs nor does it portray anything human about Bradley Cooper playing Chris Kyle, who I'll be honest had no idea who that was until I watched a review about the movie.

I also think it's stupid how people hate on Seth Rogen just because he criticized the movie for being too empty and a nice-looking spectacle at the war on Iraq which was a war that never ever needed to happen and people are still giving him shit because they idolize Chris kyle as this godly untouchable thing, even though all he did aside from saving people was KILLING people in the process.

I watched this movie that felt too long and had way too many damn cliches: making friends, losing friends, arguing with his wife about constant re-enlistments, makes shots, loses shots all the dramatic bullshitting of a Hollywood movie, courtesy of Clint Eastwood who i think has been talking to too many chairs while making this movie.

I suppose American Sniper can be tossed around as just a propaganda movie that thankfully didn't make me feel uncomfortable as The Lone Survivor did, and many of you know I'm very anti-war about anything that has to do with killing and that people who worship soldiers for killing enemies in war only makes American Society into a more hideous society especially when they all come down on someone who criticizes a movie for being a piece of shit regardless if it portrayed Chris Kyle right or not.

I do not think American Sniper is a good movie especially when it gives me nothing to remember it, when it gives me nothing to debate about, when it gives me nothing to really think about other than in war there are no good guys.
    **spoiler**

Can you tell me what did Lone Survivor have to do with this other than each is a war film? I enjoyed LS more than this too. But that might just be on personal taste, it was a real account of what happened to a trapped squadron in the mountains. I was expecting American Sniper to be a more detailed account of the technical perspective of you know, military scout snipers. I understand if Eastwood wanted to go against the grain and just go the full scale war route, I GET IT. I also recall the the final battle scene being real abrupt too with the sandstorm coming, if he (Eastwood)wanted to go balls out with that scene he did.

**spoiler**

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    54 Minutes Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow Macready On Twitter Add Macready on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 547
    Given: 210
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    Quote Originally Posted by little ghost View Post
    **spoiler**

Can you tell me what did Lone Survivor have to do with this other than each is a war film? I enjoyed LS more than this too. But that might just be on personal taste, it was a real account of what happened to a trapped squadron in the mountains. I was expecting American Sniper to be a more detailed account of the technical perspective of you know, military scout snipers. I understand if Eastwood wanted to go against the grain and just go the full scale war route, I GET IT. I also recall the the final battle scene being real abrupt too with the sandstorm coming, if he (Eastwood)wanted to go balls out with that scene he did.

**spoiler**
    This is where most people get a little detracted from what this movie truly is. It's not an action film, nor is it a fictional take on what happened. The film is Kyle's book...period. Eastwood did not take any liberties and stray from the source material that Kyle provided.

Last edited by Macready; 03-15-2015 at 09:06 AM.
    The tranquility of night hides many malevolent things taking place under a stunning, mysterious sky pocked with precious gems of light. -GP

Published writer in Fantastic Horror, Volumes 1,2, and 5. Currently working on my first two novels!

Rotting Zealot
    Go quickly, travel safely, my
    young friend, to the land of
    ghosts.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Happy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 228
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag amniac
    I enjoyed the film. This and Hurt Locker were about equal for me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123