PDA

View Full Version : monitor not workin

FrighT MasteR
11-21-2007, 08:47 PM
So, I decided to get a new case, couple new ram sticks, and some new fans for my comp. I also got a new graphics card, which I had temporarily installed in my old case, so I know that's not the problem.

Anyway, I got everything set up in my new case, but when I turn the comp on, it's on, but the monitor fails to come on. I turn the monitor off and on manually and the thing comes up with a message saying that it's shutting down.

I can't say I remember ever experiencing this issue before, so I was curious if anyone knew of a solution. I figured it'd probably be a small issue that can be resolved easily. I double checked the plugs and if it's properly installed in the PCI slot and everything seems to be fine. Is this a power issue of some sort? Anyone know what it could be? The monitor's orange light is on, indicating it's getting power, so my only assumption is something with the graphics card, but it was workin with my old case :ahheh:.

Driden
11-21-2007, 08:55 PM
Seeing how you know the monitor works we can cancel that out. You also said you got light so that's plugged in correctly. new graphic card you said? Can't be a driver issue I don't think since Windows usually throws generic drivers for a monitor to work. I doubt its an HD thing either. I'm going to say my #1 guess is the graphics card is dead but since you said it works. hmm. time to google lol

Does the new memory work? I know with 1 bad stick you crash. But with several bad sticks maybe it wont even boot up the screen? btw smart thinking on the PSU. I know the GTX card is power heavy. What's your watts on your PSU?

Knight
11-21-2007, 09:10 PM
Could be the power supply.

FrighT MasteR
11-21-2007, 09:20 PM
Thinkin it might be the mobo and it's placement in the new case. For some reason when I insert hardware into the PCI slots the back part snaps in fine, but the front part leaves a little slack for some reason. I inserted everything in there correctly (or so I thought) to where it appeared to be in there securely and straight, but maybe it wasn't. Might have to play with it more. Already removed the new ram and removed some fans to conserve any potential lost power, plus, everything was working fine in my old case about 5 hours ago, so I'm thinking the power supply is not the problem.

FrighT MasteR
11-21-2007, 09:26 PM
Checked more into it and this case does indeed have issues with placing hardware into the PCI slots :dsp:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16811119122&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=100&SelectedRating=-1&Page=

Driden
11-21-2007, 10:15 PM
So the case is knocking out the slots? I don't get it. You should of just got a Thermaltake

FrighT MasteR
11-21-2007, 10:29 PM
The case is causing the mobo to be out of alignment for some reason. So what I'm gonna do is just put the card in the mobo first, then the mobo into the case. It should work since I'll know 100% that the card is in place.

FrighT MasteR
11-22-2007, 01:46 AM
Well this is fucked. 9 hours later and my problem still remains. I did all the modding I could to the new case and the damn card finally fit, but once I turned the bitch on, nothing happened. Still the same problem. Switched out the new card with my old one, still the same issue.

Finally I decided to just put everything back into my old case. Now, after I've moved everything back to the old case, I turn the bitch on and the problem's now with my old case! I even went as far as switching out my new CPU with my old one, in case I got a faulty chip, but the problem still remains.

It can't be the power supply, because the fans and everything are powered on and running. My only conclusion is that the problem lies within the mobo. However, it isn't making any beeps or showing me error numbers. Does that mean it's dead?

Never had a dead mobo before, so I wouldn't know what the signs are. I don't even know how it could have died if it is indeed dead. I guess I should do some googlin', but any help from anyone here would be appreciated.

EDIT: Yeah, this is definitely a dead mobo. I removed the video card and all the memory and started it up. If it was still working it would have beeped, which it didn't. :dsp:

Driden
11-22-2007, 03:55 AM
You probably killed it during the move from case to case. I went through 4 boards this year lol. Really sucks man because if you got a good board that could cost you unless you are still under warranty?

FrighT MasteR
11-22-2007, 04:10 AM
Nah, the board is over a year old and it's oddly not available for sale anymore. I'm probably just gonna get another mobo from EVGA. Probably the 680i SE SLI TR Version.

Quick question -- will I have to reinstall windows since I'm using a new mobo and CPU? I was thinkin if I have to reinstall that in order to save my files on my current drive that I'd just get another HD and install windows on that one, then connect my old HD to transfer the files I can over. I remember when I upgraded from an Intel board to this EVGA one that I had to reinstall, but I was thinking maybe if I stick with the same manufacturer that all I'll need to do is upgrade the drivers.

Also, in your opinion do you think an 850-watt power supply is enough to handle 4 Gigs DDR2, a GeForce 8800 ULTRA, two HD's, a Core 2 Quad 6600, an IDE drive, like 5 fans and a couple fan controllers? :ahheh:

Driden
11-22-2007, 07:03 AM
Yes, you will have to do the whole install/setup. I tried once and used a pre-installed windows HDD and it worked BUT then I started having sound, video, and other driver issues. Best to just avoid this hassle and clean install

I think its good enough but if you want to be sure check you could check the wattage used on each piece of hardware and calculate it. I think the video card has a recommended PSU wattage amount as well on the box. I think you'll be fine because I same amount of ram, slightly weaker cpu, and video BUT I have more drives, fans and HDDs which should put us as equals and I'm running a 700-750watt

FrighT MasteR
11-22-2007, 02:57 PM
I guess I'll have to do the double HD transfer like I suggested above to preserve some files, then wipe the old drive. I might have enough power then, but I know the card alone requires a minimum 500 watts :ahheh:

Gonna have to double check the watts, thanks for your tips :coolbeer:

FrighT MasteR
11-23-2007, 02:43 PM
I'm pretty much screwed with the new motherboard. The new T1 I wanted from tigerdirect has been revealed to be on backorder after I ordered it, and I can't find any other good recent models from EVGA in stock anywhere else at the moment, especially with newegg being offline for some reason. Looks like I'm not gonna have a computer for a while :dsp:

Driden
11-23-2007, 02:50 PM
Like eVGA? Why not get an ASUS? MSI? Gigabyte?

FrighT MasteR
11-23-2007, 02:53 PM
The 680i models are awesome for customizing and overclocking. I've recently heard of ASUS how are they in comparison to these EVGAs?

EDIT: Checked more into the Asus MOBOs and they are badass. I'm thinking that since I have enough parts to have two computers at this point that I'm gonna get an Asus mobo on top of the EVGA I have on backorder. So, I'll have two comps: one for gaming which'll be the Asus model that'll be connected to my 42-inch plasma, while the EVGA comp will mostly be for workin on the page and be connected to my 24-inch LCD monitor :D

Driden
11-23-2007, 04:35 PM
Defintely. ASUS is King of mobos. PC I'm on right now has a Striker Extreme

Here's a review conclusion of my board 680i

Well, now that we have discussed everything none of you have any more doubts that ASUS managed to design the best Nvidia nForce 680i SLI based mainboard so far. This is a pretty logical outcome I should say, keeping in mind that the only alternative to ASUS Striker Extreme (and its better value modification aka P2N32-E SLI) is the reference mainboard. Striker Extreme provides higher reliability and better overclockability of the FSB bus, according to our tests. Moreover, this mainboard boasts the whole lot of interesting features: excellent bundle, original cooling solution, advanced monitoring options, etc.

ASUS Striker Extreme mainboard from the Republic of Gamers series can also win quite a few fans due to its outstanding exterior design feature such as LED lightning and glowing buttons. However everything has its price. And so do these small pleasing trifle. ASUS Striker Extreme costs an unprecedented sum of over $300.

That is exactly the reason why we cannot sing the praises of this product. A mainboard selling at a price like that should be absolutely impeccable. However, in reality things are not that flawless at all. Even now, that the product has been selling for about 2 months, ASUS Striker Extreme mainboard is still far from the well-done stage, featuring frustrating flaws in the BIOS. Although these problems get solved little by little, the product is too expensive to prevent a certain degree of frustration on the users’ part.

However, the greatest drawback of ASUS Striker Extreme is that different mainboard units may demonstrate absolutely different operational parameters. While some Striker Extreme mainboards can easily hit super-high FSB frequencies, the other identical mainboards will stall at 450MHz FSB. This diversity of results is most likely connected with the chipset in the first place, and not with the mainboard manufacturing issues. However, the end users will not benefit from this knowledge: it is still the lottery, no matter who is organizing it.

As a result, we can only recommend ASUS Striker Extreme to those users who have unlimited budget and need an SLI configuration on Core 2 Duo processor. As for mainstream enthusiasts and overclockers, this is hardly the best choice. In fact, it is too expensive and doesn’t offer much better overclocking potential, features or stability than the other solutions available in the market.

FrighT MasteR
11-23-2007, 04:49 PM
Damn, that Stalker line is pretty expensive. By the way, are you overclocking anything?

I was thinking of maybe picking up the P5K3 Deluxe: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3109410&CatId=1572

Driden
11-23-2007, 06:56 PM
Nice board. You could get it here for $230 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131181

FrighT MasteR
11-23-2007, 07:04 PM
Yeah, I'll be getting that board and a couple dual gig Patriot DDR3 memory sticks. They seem to be the only ones that have timings at 7, while all the others are 8 or 9.