PDA

View Full Version : lil' help?

IKickAssForTheLord
01-16-2008, 06:01 PM
I have a question if anybody can help me out here. I play Counter-Strike pretty often on a different computer then the one I use for this site. I have this computer that is pretty old and its been in the shop for a couple of times. I know I should probably get a new one but don't got the money right now. Anyways, whenever I try to install a game, and when I click the icon my monitor goes black and then it comes back on and all my settings r fucked@! like it goes back to 8bit the colors and screen looks like shit, looks all choppy. And yea I can't even play the game. I've heard that it has somethin' to do wit my drivers or my video card but I know my video card is good, cuz I remember playin' games on this computer before... but I'm seriously confused 'bout this, I'm not very good at fixin' computers or anythin' so any lil' help would be greatly appreciated!

Driden
01-17-2008, 03:17 PM
It sounds like when they fixed your PC perhaps they didn't update your card with the latest drivers? If you know the name of your card google around for new drivers and install them. If that doesn't fix it then we can look into other things. I don't think your card is dying just yet otherwise you would see different patterns almost lego like graphics and black spots etc. Most likely you are just hitting the bare minimum reqs for the game

The desktop staying at 800x600 (or worse pending on monitor size) sounds like either the game takes a toll on your resources and takes a while to recoup. It happens. I know when I was fixing someone else's PC that would happen and I had to readjust the resolution manually.. This problem could sometimes get worse and leave part of the desktop missing like the taskbar or half your screen not aligned.

What's your specs? And if you game have you given any thought into a new PC?

IKickAssForTheLord
01-17-2008, 09:03 PM
It sounds like when they fixed your PC perhaps they didn't update your card with the latest drivers? If you know the name of your card google around for new drivers and install them. If that doesn't fix it then we can look into other things. I don't think your card is dying just yet otherwise you would see different patterns almost lego like graphics and black spots etc. Most likely you are just hitting the bare minimum reqs for the game

The desktop staying at 800x600 (or worse pending on monitor size) sounds like either the game takes a toll on your resources and takes a while to recoup. It happens. I know when I was fixing someone else's PC that would happen and I had to readjust the resolution manually.. This problem could sometimes get worse and leave part of the desktop missing like the taskbar or half your screen not aligned.

What's your specs? And if you game have you given any thought into a new PC?

yea thats what I was thinkin'... they didn't install the drivers. I have a cheap video card right now but it runs the game. I got that NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440. the thing is I think I found all the stuff I needed but not sure how to install it. Like I had a friend help me out and the shit was all confusin'. When I tried to install the drivers I accidently click on like HD TV and my computer just went all black and I couldn't figure out what happen until like a month later when I shut it off and turned it back on and kept hittin' F5 and I think I have it runnin' in safe mode. What do you mean by specs? I'm sorry, that I don't know much 'bout computers. And yes I'm savin' for a Alienware computer now, cuz I usually just use my computer for gamin'.

Luris Blear
01-17-2008, 09:51 PM
Last time that happened to me, my motherboard was actually burning the connections on my video cards. ( I lost one card that was really nice at the time due to the bad slot.)

I would check the video card to make sure it's in tight and secure. Barring that, my personal experience is that something in that region may either need new drivers or complete replacement.