No official plot yet.
Michael Keaton (not official)
- Winona Ryder had a recent interview where she implied she may be in the film, but is "sworn to secrecy." She went on to say: "It’s not a remake. It’s 27 years later. And I have to say, I love Lydia [Deetz, Ryder's teenage goth character] so much. She was such a huge part of me. I would be really interested in what she is doing 27 years later." (11/21/13)
- As expected, various sources are reporting that Tim Burton is "in talks" to direct. This wouldn't necessarily be his next film, but it would be in his upcoming slate. (10/23/13)
- In a recent interview Tim Burton revealed that hes already spoken with Michael Keaton about the project and Keaton was reportedly very excited and would love to reprise his role in the film. (2/11/12)
- Tim Burton was asked recently whether he would return to direct the sequel, where he revealed that he would, saying: "I love that character, and Michael [Keaton] is so great in it. I always think about how great and fun that character was, so I just said to ["Vampire Hunter" writer] Seth [Grahame-Smith], "If you have some idea about it, go for it, and then I'll look at it freshly." In the past, I tried some things, but that was way back when. He seemed really excited about it." Currently Seth Grahame-Smith has yet to run any ideas by Burton. (1/12/12)
- This project is merely in the "talking stages" right now, as there's interest with the speculation that KatzSmith Productions will produce, however there's nothing officially concrete at the moment. (9/6/11)
- The writer/producers intend this to be a true sequel set 26 years later, and have expressed that Michael Keaton must reprise his role as Beetlejuice, otherwise they will not move forward.
- A sequel has been talked about for decades, with first rumblings in the early 90's when original director Tim Burton hired Jonathan Gems (Mars Attacks!) to script the sequel. Titled Beetlejuice Goes Hawaiian, the story saw "the Deetz family moving to Hawaii, where Charles is developing a resort. They soon discover that his company is building on the burial ground of an ancient Hawaiian Kahuna. The spirit comes back from the afterlife to cause trouble, and Betelgeuse becomes a hero by winning a surf contest with magic." Apparently, Michael Keaton and Winona Ryder were interested in reprising their roles, but only if Tim Burton returned as director. Eventually Tim became too involved with Batman Returns and things fell through. However, as the years went on his interest in the project never faded, and the script went through several rewrites from various other people, but by the late 90's Tim and the studio had pretty much given up on it moving forward.
- The obvious sequel to 1988's Beetlejuice, which was directed by Tim Burton and starred Alec Baldwin, Geena Davis, Winona Ryder, and Michael Keaton.
A UHM staff member has not reviewed this film.